The Big Nowhere: San Antonio Alpine/ Part Ii

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in Piedras Negras back in 1968 as a kid. I haven't left the country since. Wife and I retired late 2019, got passports just in time for Covid. We just got both of our shots and are ready to travel. I'm the train nut, she likes planes. Mexico's culture and history have always fascinated me, and of course the food. Not in to going to Mexico's beaches for the reasons you stated.
I used to love visit all the Border Towns ( towns and Villages,, not Cities except for TJ and Juarez) back in the 60s!

Fun times, great places and People!

My trips in Mexico were long before the drug invasion but we loved our time there. Fascinating culture, friendly people, great food, and passenger train travel was wonderful. Bring back the Aztec Eagle or maybe an opportunity for the Rocky Mountaineer!, or rather the Sierra Madre Mountaineer.

My trips in Mexico were long before the drug invasion but we loved our time there. Fascinating culture, friendly people, great food, and passenger train travel was wonderful. Bring back the Aztec Eagle or maybe an opportunity for the Rocky Mountaineer!, or rather the Sierra Madre Mountaineer.
The Copper Canyin Train still runs, its guarded by the Army, ( due to Drug Cartels and Bandidos) but since it was Privitized the Primera Clase( 1st Class) has become Pricey!
( Second Class for the Campesinos is still Cheap but uncomfortable)

Still a nice trip!

Once you feel Safe, Saddle Up and get out of Dodge as the saying goes!😉
I'm trying to setup a trip to visit family as soon as I hit maximum inoculation. I have tried to use Amtrak for this route in the past but it's simply not practical with the skeletal LDN and limited frequencies. This leads to driving or flying. The drive is long and boring. Driving faster shortens the trip but speeding for that many hours makes tickets inevitable. I don't mind tickets specifically but small town cops can behave in an unpredictable fashion and there are no appealing options for breaking the trip into multiple days. That basically leaves me with flying for now. It's not quite the same but I'm still looking forward to it and I'll be back on Amtrak when meals and frequencies return. 👍

Last edited:
I enjoyed the report of your trip back to your birthplace very much. I am sorry that there was not a band to greet you at the station but maybe that will be arranged the next time

Are there any hotels within easy walking distance of the station in Alpine besides the Holland House? I can't remember seeing any but maybe there are.

At least twice when I have been on the eastbound Sunset we have had extended stops at Alpine, evidently thanks to schedule padding and an early arrival. The first time passengers had about an hour to spend in town and many went shopping. As far as I know no one was left. I think the next time, the stop was shorter, about a half hour but still plenty of time to stop by the Holland House and check it out.

I don't recall any extended stops in Alpine on the westbound Sunset.

I enjoyed the report of your trip back to your birthplace very much. I am sorry that there was not a band to greet you at the station but maybe that will be arranged the next time

Are there any hotels within easy walking distance of the station in Alpine besides the Holland House? I can't remember seeing any but maybe there are.

At least twice when I have been on the eastbound Sunset we have had extended stops at Alpine, evidently thanks to schedule padding and an early arrival. The first time passengers had about an hour to spend in town and many went shopping. As far as I know no one was left. I think the next time, the stop was shorter, about a half hour but still plenty of time to stop by the Holland House and check it out.

I don't recall any extended stops in Alpine on the westbound Sunset.
Thanks, you're correct the Eastbound Stop of #2.is Brief, ( it's usually Late and it's Dark), #1 depends on the OTP, it can be anywhere from an Hour to 15 minutes.

There are lots of Air B nB places and Bungaloes/Cabins around the Station( mostly behind the Holland Hotel), but all the Chain and Mom and Pop Motels are located on Highway 90 East and West of Town on the outskirts, not close enough to walk to/from during a Station Stop.

Back