The Boeing MAX 8 Accidents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[responding to my suggestion that Boeing's prioritizing shareholder value over everything else led to a disaster...] Maybe that statement should apply to the class 1 RRs ?
I'm willing to apply it as broadly as possible. Making short-term shareholder profits the touchstone of running a company--any company--tends to be disastrous for the public at large. A short-term mindset in general creates the functional equivalent of failing the marshmallow test--where kids were left alone with a marshmallow for a short time but told that if they refrained from eating it, they'd get two marshmallows later. And it turns out that kids that failed the test and ate the marshmallow tended to have worse outcomes in later life.

So the fact that corporations have bought into "let's eat our marshmallow right now!" as a business model does not auger well for anyone.

I showed my husband, a retired Boeing engineer, these posts, and he concurred that Trogdor and 33 Nicolas's posts are a succinct and accurate assessment of the situation. It's terrible what the merger caused at Boeing, and the consequences have been tragic. When shareholder value becomes the prime directive, we are all endangered.
It's sad. I talk to the older generation of engineers and they shake their heads. They still know how to work and design top-notch quality, but after the merger happened, it became all about profit. In fact, see who is at the helm of that company. Ex-GE and ex-McDonald folks, the same ones who ran both companies to the ground in the 90s. Enough said. As long as a company is run by hatchet C-suites and non-industry-trained experts, and Wall Street worshipers, quality takes a back seat. Boy, I wish Lockheed would continue making airliners!

Back