The Canadian, "berths no longer available"?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You experienced a pre-Amtrak roomette from the 1950's.
Amtrak was still using 1950's stock in 2019, the last time I booked a roomette?

At any rate, on my last trip from Toronto to Vancouver, there was an elderly passenger who was using a berth with no trouble, while I (much younger) found my tiny cabin to be awkward.

Last edited:
Amtrak was still using 1950's stock in 2019, the last time I booked a roomette?

At any rate, on my last trip from Toronto to Vancouver, there was an elderly passenger who was using a berth with no trouble, while I (much younger) found my tiny cabin to be awkward.
Amtrak ran them into the mid 1990s, but the sleepers still running on VIA's Canadian are refurbished CP sleepers built by Budd in the 1950s.

https://corpo.viarail.ca/en/projects-infrastructure/train-fleet
https://history.amtrak.com/archives/heritage-sleeping-car-roomette-1983

All I know is the diners are back to normal and the dome from my interpretation of the press release and the sections are back too. I'm ready to travel. Now once we get the Sleeper Plus Class Deals back.
Both (return of diner and of dome access) is confirmed here as already in force:
MONTREAL — Without fanfare, VIA Rail Canada this week began allowing passengers on the Canadian and other trains to again sit under glass in dome car seats and have access to onboard lounge facilities. Both had been off limits as a result of health restrictions imposed by the carrier and various provinces since March 2020.

As of March 1, full dining service for sleeping-car passengers has also been restored to the Toronto-Vancouver, B.C. streamliner and the Montreal-Halifax, Nova Scotia, Ocean, according to VIA spokeswoman Jamie Orchard.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...e-access-will-add-second-round-trip-in-april/

I took the Canadian a few years ago in what they now call a "Sleeper Plus" cabin.
It was smaller than an Amtrak roomette, cramped and awkward for a 6' person of normal weight.
If I go again, and can't get a second mortgage to pay for the Prestige Class cabin, I think an old-fashioned berth would more comfortable.
That is a real roomette, as opposed to Amtrak's renamed Economy Bedroom.

Book a Double Bedroom (aka "Cabin for Two" in VIA-speak). You can get one single occupancy for 150% of the roomette ("Cabin for One") fare. Ask for Room F in a Manor car (the primary sleeper car type for Sleeper Plus on the Canadian), that is a Compartment and is slightly larger. VIA just sells it as a "Cabin for Two" just like the smaller Double Bedrooms.

Book a Double Bedroom (aka "Cabin for Two" in VIA-speak). You can get one single occupancy for 150% of the roomette ("Cabin for One") fare. Ask for Room F in a Manor car (the primary sleeper car type for Sleeper Plus on the Canadian), that is a Compartment and is slightly larger. VIA just sells it as a "Cabin for Two" just like the smaller Double Bedrooms.
From the link posted above by @jiml :
1647481784493.png

I was looking at booking the Canadian this summer, and was leading towards the Cabin for 1 as I’m traveling alone. A bit hesitant to book a lower berth since as far as I understood there’s no power outlets, there‘s less flexibility as far as sleeping time (due to the upper bunk traveler using it a seat during the day), and would required to wear a mask all day if the requirement hasn’t been lifted by then. However, the additional 50% cost for a Cabin for 2 seems like a lot - is this really worth it for someone who takes a roomette on Amtrak when doing a sleeper? I’d probably be looking at the discounted rates - even if Express Deals come back, 100% non-refundable is a dealbreaker at this point in time…
That is a real roomette, as opposed to Amtrak's renamed Economy Bedroom.

I was looking at booking the Canadian this summer, and was leading towards the Cabin for 1 as I’m traveling alone. A bit hesitant to book a lower berth since as far as I understood there’s no power outlets, there‘s less flexibility as far as sleeping time (due to the upper bunk traveler using it a seat during the day), and would required to wear a mask all day if the requirement hasn’t been lifted by then. However, the additional 50% cost for a Cabin for 2 seems like a lot - is this really worth it for someone who takes a roomette on Amtrak when doing a sleeper? I’d probably be looking at the discounted rates - even if Express Deals come back, 100% non-refundable is a dealbreaker at this point in time…
I love the real roomettes on VIA. The bed is larger, with a better mattress. It is level with the window so is easier to look out at night. You can put it up and down yourself easily, you turn a handle and it comes down out of the wall like a Murphy bed. It has a solid door so you don't have the hall light seeping through the thin curtains that replaced the original blackout curtains Amtrak used to have.

If you like traveling singly in an Amtrak Economy Bedroom (aka "roomette") you'll love VIA's real roomettes

There is zero reason to pay a 50% single supplement to get a Double Bedroom (or slightly larger Compartment-room "F").

I find the VIA website difficult to navigate. Is there a section where it will tell you all of the sleeping car options (i.e. an explanation and diagram for what "upper and lower berth" cars look like, "sleeper plus", cabin for one, cabin for two, etc. Cost information as well.

I find the VIA website difficult to navigate. Is there a section where it will tell you all of the sleeping car options (i.e. an explanation and diagram for what "upper and lower berth" cars look like, "sleeper plus", cabin for one, cabin for two, etc. Cost information as well.
"Sleeper Plus" just refers to sleeper class, not a specific accommodation.

The following is out of date in places (mostly about the Ocean train), but it does have diagrams & photos of accommodations:
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/111139179-1-Sales-tools_Anglais_WEB.pdf
There's also these:
https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/cabins/berthshttps://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/cabins/cabin-for-one-enhttps://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/cabins/cabin-for-twohttps://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/cabins

Last edited:
Thanks, very much, for the above information. Very helpful. A few questions:

I see that the "cabin for one" does have a toilet. It's underneath the fold-down bed. How difficult is it to lift up the bed for access to the toilet in the middle of the night?

For daytime travel in "cabin for one", how comfortable are the fold up seats? When booking a sleeper on Amtrak, I always get a bedroom, as it has a little armchair which is more comfortable than the roomette seats (I have a back problem).

I tried to get some idea of the cost of a cabin for one, on the "Canadian", from Vancouver to Toronto. I couldn't find anything on the VIA website. In fact, I couldn't find a timetable for the Canadian on the website. Maybe Covid is the reason such information is not yet available? Or maybe it's just my problem with navigation.

The reason is that I find the roomette seats, on Amtrak, uncomfortable during the days. The Amtrak bedroom does have a little armchair in the room, which is more comfortable then the fold up seats in the roomette. Are the se

I see that the "cabin for one" does have a toilet. It's underneath the fold-down bed. How difficult is it to lift up the bed for access to the toilet in the middle of the night?

For daytime travel in "cabin for one", how comfortable are the fold up seats? When booking a sleeper on Amtrak, I always get a bedroom, as it has a little armchair which is more comfortable than the roomette seats (I have a back problem).

I tried to get some idea of the cost of a cabin for one, on the "Canadian", from Vancouver to Toronto. I couldn't find anything on the VIA website. In fact, I couldn't find a timetable for the Canadian on the website. Maybe Covid is the reason such information is not yet available? Or maybe it's just my problem with navigation.

The reason is that I find the roomette seats, on Amtrak, uncomfortable during the days. The Amtrak bedroom does have a little armchair in the room, which is more comfortable then the fold up seats in the roomette. Are the se
Sorry, I only rode the Canadian once and I was upgraded to a Cabin for 2, so I have no recent experience with the Cabin for 1.

I think it is not practical to access the Cabin for 1 toilet at night; there are public toilets at the end of the car. I would expect the mini-sofa is similar to the seat in an Amtrak Roomette.
Here's an excellent video tour:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-o...ockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian

VIA's website has become highly dysfunctional of late. (Perhaps they have hired some of the Amtrak IT geniuses?) You should be able to get pricing information by clicking on the "tickets" button on the home screen and entering departure and arrival cities and a date. For the Canadian, you must choose a date on which the train actually operates (e.g., a Monday if departing from Vancouver eastbound); otherwise, the system simply says it can't find any such service. Once you choose a departure, you can select any of the various available sleeper spaces on that departure and see the pricing below.

Schedules (sigh) have all but disappeared from the site. If you can find your way to "Timetables -- accessible versions" (it sometimes appears as a choice under "check arrivals and departures" -- otherwise, perhaps try the site's search function to get there?), you can click on the plus sign next to "accessible versions" to see a list of routes and click on the one you want. I cannot fathom why Amtrak and VIA both would make it so difficult to find this most essential information about their services.

I was able to click on "tickets" and find prices for the "cabin for one". I chose Vancouver to Jasper, as I may choose that run instead of going all the way to Toronto The price of a cabin for one was around $1600. I also noticed that the discounted price was about $500 less. How do you get the discounted price...is it granted during the off-season? I also selected Monday Oct 8th as a departure date. Most earlier dates had the cabin for one option sold out. In order to book a cabin for one, how far in advance would be reasonable to get a booking during the peak summer months? I get the impression there might not be enough cabins on the train. Is that the case? I would think they should add more as the Vancouver to Jasper run is one of the most scenic train journeys in the world.

Interesting video, above. I noticed that there isn't a fold- down table in the cabin for one. Maybe there is but the video didn't show the table. Does the Canadian serve meals in your cabin? I would probably use the diner car, anyway.

Richard

The price of a cabin for one was around $1600. I also noticed that the discounted price was about $500 less. How do you get the discounted price...is it granted during the off-season?
If things haven't changed from a few years ago, the "discounted price" is simply available until it's sold out, like low bucket on Amtrak.

I was able to click on "tickets" and find prices for the "cabin for one". I chose Vancouver to Jasper, as I may choose that run instead of going all the way to Toronto The price of a cabin for one was around $1600. I also noticed that the discounted price was about $500 less. How do you get the discounted price...is it granted during the off-season? I also selected Monday Oct 8th as a departure date. Most earlier dates had the cabin for one option sold out. In order to book a cabin for one, how far in advance would be reasonable to get a booking during the peak summer months? I get the impression there might not be enough cabins on the train. Is that the case? I would think they should add more as the Vancouver to Jasper run is one of the most scenic train journeys in the world.

Interesting video, above. I noticed that there isn't a fold- down table in the cabin for one. Maybe there is but the video didn't show the table. Does the Canadian serve meals in your cabin? I would probably use the diner car, anyway.

Richard

All of our trips on the Canadian in the past 20 years have been in the winter, so I'm not the best person to respond about how far in advance to book a summer trip. For a trip in February, we usually book in November or early December at the latest. The demand is of course much higher in the summer, though VIA also runs much longer consists in an effort to keep pace.

As to the supply of single cabins (which are the same as Amtrak's former heritage fleet roomettes), the cars VIA uses for its Sleeper Plus class on the Canadian have four single rooms vs. six double rooms per car. So a departure in mid-January with only three sleepers would have a total of 12 single rooms and 18 double rooms (as well as 18 section berths). The disparity gets larger with summer's longer consists -- e.g., a train with 10 sleepers would have a combined total of 60 double rooms, 60 section berths and 40 single rooms.

Totally agree. VIA is short on info. For instance, the large cabin for two that they used to offer is really a drawing room. I found that to be a pleasant surprise. Alas, no longer offered on the Halifax route. VIA is big on infomercial type pictures that don't really show you anything. Someone smiling etc., but not a good view of the rooms being offered.

Totally agree. VIA is short on info. For instance, the large cabin for two that they used to offer is really a drawing room. I found that to be a pleasant surprise. Alas, no longer offered on the Halifax route. VIA is big on infomercial type pictures that don't really show you anything. Someone smiling etc., but not a good view of the rooms being offered.
Bad as VIA' s Web Site is, it's still better than Amtraks!

I have found many videos on You Tube showing all the cabins available on The Canadian.

I realize this post was from a few months ago but I wanted to answer since nobody else did -

I personally find the - “cabin for 1” pretty uncomfortable for daytime seating. The seat does not adjust like the Amtrak Roomette seats which I find very comfortable during the day.

For me, this isn’t a major factor as I spend most of my time in the dome and/ or in the park car on the Canadian.

And I am just the opposite. I find the traditional roomette on VIA very comfortable, more so than Amtrak's roomette. The berth is much wider at the head and the mattress much more comfortable. The seat is wider and better upholstered and cushier. I don't miss the minor recline available on the Amtrak seat at all, and I can use the pillows to offset any issues.

And I love the fact the mattress is level with the window so I can just turn over and look out at night.

Finally, the window blind is a true, pretty much opaque, blind. If I am expecting a late stop at a well lit station, like a common zero dark thirty late arrival in Winnipeg, I pull the blind and I am never disturbed. This as opposed to the thin curtain in Amtrak roomettes, where I am always awakened by the brilliant LED lighting at Sacramento.

I realize this post was from a few months ago but I wanted to answer since nobody else did -

I personally find the - “cabin for 1” pretty uncomfortable for daytime seating. The seat does not adjust like the Amtrak Roomette seats which I find very comfortable during the day.

For me, this isn’t a major factor as I spend most of my time in the dome and/ or in the park car on the Canadian.

And I am just the opposite. I find the traditional roomette on VIA very comfortable, more so than Amtrak's roomette. The berth is much wider at the head and the mattress much more comfortable. The seat is wider and better upholstered and cushier. I don't miss the minor recline available on the Amtrak seat at all, and I can use the pillows to offset any issues.

And I love the fact the mattress is level with the window so I can just turn over and look out at night.

Finally, the window blind is a true, pretty much opaque, blind. If I am expecting a late stop at a well lit station, like a common zero dark thirty late arrival in Winnipeg, I pull the blind and I am never disturbed. This as opposed to the thin curtain in Amtrak roomettes, where I am always awakened by the brilliant LED lighting at Sacramento.
I am going to say you're both right. I like the Amtrak roomettes for daytime and the VIA ones by night.

Back