The Canadian, "berths no longer available"?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
I seem to remember a few years back that upper and lower sleeping berths were offered, in addition to the solo and double compartments. Have they been permanently removed from the VIA long distance trains?

I seem to remember a few years back that upper and lower sleeping berths were offered, in addition to the solo and double compartments. Have they been permanently removed from the VIA long distance trains?
They are still physically there in the Manor and unconverted Chateaus. They just aren't selling them right now due to COVID.

I noticed discounted upper and lower berths available early May from Vancouver to Toronto For $2600 or so Canadian. There is no option to book one berth however. I assume you need to book both the upper and lower. All the bedrooms seemed to be sold out on many trips as well.

I am seriously kicking the tires at taking a trip in October with Prestige. But to my surprise it's showing sold out, which seems a bit surprising. Any idea if these just haven't been added back yet to the sellable consist?

I am seriously kicking the tires at taking a trip in October with Prestige. But to my surprise it's showing sold out, which seems a bit surprising. Any idea if these just haven't been added back yet to the sellable consist?
Not sure about that , best to call Via reservations .

I took the Canadian a few years ago in what they now call a "Sleeper Plus" cabin.
It was smaller than an Amtrak roomette, cramped and awkward for a 6' person of normal weight.
If I go again, and can't get a second mortgage to pay for the Prestige Class cabin, I think an old-fashioned berth would more comfortable.

I took the Canadian a few years ago in what they now call a "Sleeper Plus" cabin.
It was smaller than an Amtrak roomette, cramped and awkward for a 6' person of normal weight.
If I go again, and can't get a second mortgage to pay for the Prestige Class cabin, I think an old-fashioned berth would more comfortable.
„Sleeper Plus“ is a catch-all term for all Sleeper accommodation types which are not Prestige Class. What you describe appears to be a „Cabin for 1“. Other „Sleeper Plus“ accommodation types include „Upper Berths“, „Lower Berths“ and „Cabins for 2“ (the latter being similar to a „Bedroom“ on Amtrak)…

You experienced a pre-Amtrak roomette from the 1950's.

LThe only thing that I don’t like about the single rooms is the toilet that is also physically in the room (same issue on the Amtrak Viewliner I).
Nobody forces you to use that toilet: when I traveled in a Viewliner I Roomette, I rather walked to the washroom next coach than using the awkward toilet next to my pillow…

„Sleeper Plus“ is a catch-all term for all Sleeper accommodation types which are not Prestige Class. What you describe appears to be a „Cabin for 1“. Other „Sleeper Plus“ accommodation types include „Upper Berths“, „Lower Berths“ and „Cabins for 2“ (the latter being similar to a „Bedroom“ on Amtrak)…
VIA isn't that good at explaining, picturing, or illustrating their sleeper options. Just short info pics and blurbs.

There are pics of every type of accommodation, car layout diagrams, bed dimensions, etc. Certainly the equal of anything Amtrak puts out.
Oops, I didn't scroll down far enough. You're right, better than Amtrak.

Check this out: 111139179-1-Sales-tools_Anglais_WEB.pdf (viarail.ca)

The only dated information refers to a Park car on the Ocean, which has gone away.
We were lucky to have the Cabin for 3 on the Park Car right before Covid. It's a drawing room and is absolutely wonderful. Too bad it's no longer on the Ocean because of turn around removal in Halifax.

It might have been called a Large Cabin for 2. Can't remember. But it slept 3 - 2 on floor and 1 on top

Last edited by a moderator:
Back