The Cascades Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I;m thinking of running up to SEA while I'm in PDX to see the new station. Is Business class worth the extra $?

Thanx

Well after thinking about it, it all depends on when I book!

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not, unless you're traveling on a holiday weekend (or perhaps any Friday/Sunday). At "normal" times your upcharge

gets you a $3 cafe voucher, free newspapers, slightly better seats and priority boarding. The latter is what makes BC a good value during busy

travel periods, but otherwise isn't all that special. Depending on your departure, you'd have access to the Met Lounge in PDX.

My suggestion would be to use the money you'd save by riding coach to buy yourself a nice dinner in PDX or SEA.

I would add that if you have the points, this is a pretty good AGR redemption whether in coach or BC. If I'm using AGR points on this route, I usually

go in BC. In fact, if you haven't maxed out your AGR points purchases for the year, it is sometimes cheaper to simply buy the points and redeem

them than it is to buy the ticket in cash. (depending on the fare bucket for the train you'd like)

Under the new redemption rates for Special Routes it's 1,500 points for a Coach Award and 2,000 for a Biz Class Award!,(that's for each passenger unlike Sleeper Awards!) You can do the Math!

these trains are always close to or sold out, I find the 1/2 seating in business worth the extra $ if traveling alone. Not sure of the price difference, I'm sure it's bucket pricing but I still doubt you could buy a nice dinner in SEA od PDX for the price difference.

these trains are always close to or sold out, I find the 1/2 seating in business worth the extra $ if traveling alone. Not sure of the price difference, I'm sure it's bucket pricing but I still doubt you could buy a nice dinner in SEA od PDX for the price difference.
This is moot since the OP is using AGR points...but to the point about whether the BC upcharge is equivalent to a "nice dinner" in PDX or SEA. I guess that depends on how much you'd spend on dinner. The advance purchase price for coach is $26 and if you want to upgrade to BC you literally double the price to $52. I guess I'd say $26 could get you a nice dinner, but it's true that in both cities it would be very easy to spend much more than that on a meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back