The CZ 5 is late!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABDeh88

Train Attendant
It is 4:20 am CST. We're in Omaha. We should have arrived at 10:55 last night. I personally don't care. The people around me do. Whiners. I've heard everything from, "we should have taken a horse and buggy, it would have been faster and just as bumpy", to "I'm going to call Amtrak and demand some money back."

I guess there was a bridge out and we ended up sitting in Creston, IA for a while and detouring further south before crossing into Nebraska at Plattsmouth rather than just south of Offutt AFB. At least that is different from how we came over on the 6 last week.

Anyway, it may be Nebraska but I'll be able to see something out the window soon.

Updates later :)

Hi,

It is good that the train got through, despite the diversion... but us rail fans need to be mindful that most folk would be upset with a delay of 5 or 6 hours on a trip expected to take about 10 or 11 hours when they set out.

Often it is lack of info from staff to passengers that exacerbates the bad feelings towards Amtrak.

Ed :cool:

I can see why people would be upset and frustrated. Sometimes things do happen that are out of amtrak's control, but if people need to be somewhere at a certain time, rail travel can be tough. And sometimes there is a lack of information from the crew which can be even more frustrating to pax.

And I am certain that of those same people drove, and found the Interstate closed because of flooding, an accident or a bridge wash out - they would not be complaining in the least!
rolleyes.gif
But since they're on Amtrak - let the complaining begin!
mad.gif

The persistent significant lateness of the CZ in recent months due to aftereffects of the flooding is probably wearing the crews and passengers down. It is the biggest problem for OTP in the Amtrak system now. I checked the Amtrak Status Map website yesterday and was impressed with all the green train numbers across the entire system. Very few yellows. The only red numbers for running really late were the CZs, one or 2 of the Empire Builders, and two Texas Eagles which got delayed in TX.

If the CZ schedule delays are not going to be fixed soon, perhaps Amtrak should consider releasing a revised more honest interim schedule adding major padding for Nebraska and wherever else it is getting delayed. Make it a temporary schedule in effect until the route returns to normal. One way to fix your OTP numbers! :p

Personally, I'd rather be delayed on a train for five hours than stopped on a freeway for two hours. At least, on a train, you have restrooms, water, and the ability to sleep. Plus, you can get up and walk around. :)

We had a three-hour delay on the Wolverine (a regional route) a while back. The conductors brought snack boxes and water out to everyone. I thought that was pretty nice.

And I am certain that of those same people drove, and found the Interstate closed because of flooding, an accident or a bridge wash out - they would not be complaining in the least! But since they're on Amtrak - let the complaining begin!
Yeah, I've never heard anyone ever complain about road design and maintenance. :rolleyes:

If it were me I might shrug and say "Well, I guess you can't rebuild a bridge in five hours" or the like. Sometimes calmly stating the obvious can go a long way toward returning temporarily unreasonable folks to their better judgement. Or if the staff wasn't updating us I might agree with folks who were upset that we were being left in the dark. Or maybe I'd choose not to take every complaint as a personal attack and have a good laugh at the horse and buggy comment. :lol:

Well, we made it. About 6 hours late. I agree about what everyone has said amd I also think if the crew would communicate the reasons for being late then the passengers may be a little more understanding.

If the CZ schedule delays are not going to be fixed soon, perhaps Amtrak should consider releasing a revised more honest interim schedule adding major padding for Nebraska and wherever else it is getting delayed.
I noticed a few weeks ago that #6, against all odds, was routinely leaving Denver on time, but getting to Mt. Pleasant, IA 2 or 3 hours late. I asked the agent at MTP what the story was and he FWIW said coal trains in Iowa.

I first heard it was due to a bridge but I guess they had track repairs to do. We sat between Osceola and Creston for an hour and a half and other places as well. I heard BNSF uses a lot of track warrants in Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back