The effect of the potential rail strike on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to not see anything from Metra about the strikes, seeing as a number of their lines are run & operated by UP & BNSF (not just on their tracks, but also with their crews).

Peter

hopefully i make it back to Chicago. I'm suppose to leave DC on Sunday.
Hope so, too, but my guess is the 1 night LDs will be announced as cancelled tomorrow, effective with Wednesday's departures.

They are probably holding off in the slim hope of a settlement. The corridor trains off the NEC and possibly Empire Service as far as Albany probably won't be announced until Wednesday or Thursday.

From Pacific Surfliner:
"ALERT: A national work stoppage by freight railroad worker unions may close portions of the Pacific Surfliner route to freight and passenger rail services as early as Friday, Sept. 16. Service in some areas would be affected. "
https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/pl...avel-advisories/potential-service-disruption/
Happy to see they are going to preserve as much service as possible, which is almost certainly due to LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency which sponsors the service, not Amtrak itself.

Happy to see they are going to preserve as much service as possible, which is almost certainly due to LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency which sponsors the service, not Amtrak itself.
Moorpark to San Luis Obispo is UP track; Los Angeles to Fullerton BNSF track.
Los Angeles to Moorpark is Metrolink track; Fullerton to San Diego is mostly Metrolink except for the southernmost part which belongs to the North County Transit District (Coaster).

Los Angeles to Moorpark is Metrolink track; Fullerton to San Diego is mostly Metrolink except for the southernmost part which belongs to the North County Transit District (Coaster).
What about Chicago to New York?

Yeah, the announcement said they'd run as far as Fullerton. Which is interesting, since Fullerton is on BNSF, Fullerton Jct, where the SCRRA owned Surf Line starts, being just east of the station. Does SCRRA own some platform tracks? Or can they get some kind of authorization to run the last few yards on BNSF? I imagine SCRRA dispatchers might be able to control the Fullerton Jct. plant. Do the plant limits include the station?

The announcement also said they'd try to operate as far as Moorpark.

Last edited:
Yeah, the announcement said they'd run as far as Fullerton. Which is interesting, since Fullerton is on BNSF, Fullerton Jct being just east of the station. Does SCRRA own some platform tracks? Or can they get some kind of authorization to run the last few yards on BNSF? I imagine SCRRA dispatchers might be able to control the Fullerton Jct. plant. Do the plant limits include the station?

The announcement also said they'd try to operate as far as Moorpark.
Looking at a 2019 Metrolink Employee Timetable I see the "Fullerton Lead" which runs CP Orangethorpe into the depot (Platform 4) at Fullerton (separate track from BNSF). The lead branches off from the BNSF San Bernardino Sub at Orangethorpe. Orangethorpe south to San Diego is SCRRA and NCTD track and dispatching. That may be how it could work.

North to Moorpark shouldn't be a problem for both Amtrak and Metrolink as that is SCRRA track and dispatching.

Last edited:
Looking at a 2019 Metrolink Employee Timetable I see the "Fullerton Lead" which runs CP Orangethorpe into the depot (Platform 4) at Fullerton (separate track from BNSF). The lead branches off from the BNSF San Bernardino Sub at Orangethorpe. Orangethorpe south to San Diego is SCRRA and NCTD track and dispatching. That may be how it could work.

North to Moorpark shouldn't be a problem for both Amtrak and Metrolink as that is SCRRA track and dispatching.
Metrolink and Pacific Surfliner only able to use one platform, sounds like a very tight timetable. At least it has a siding right before the platform.

So CP Orangethorpe is Fullerton Jct's name now?

If that's the case, yeah, they could run into the station at platform 4 and not touch BNSF rail. Not at all familiar with the current track layout, I just remember the platforms being on the two Santa Fe mains, with Fullerton Jct just east of the station. Needless to say, its been awhile and I know that.

So CP Orangethorpe is Fullerton Jct's name now?

If that's the case, yeah, they could run into the station at platform 4 and not touch BNSF rail.
Correct. The Fullerton Lead is "next" to BNSF at Fullerton Jct. Orangethorpe is just south of there where it connects to the line (SCRRA Orange Sub) south to San Diego.
Probably a "glitch" in this scheme is what/where to put all those trains!
If I can figure it out, I'll message you a scan of the track diagram.

I am going to take Lake Shore from Chicago to New York on 9/24 and take Cardinal from New York to Chicago on 9/30, then continue on TE from CHI to LAX on 10/2. Any idea if the potential strike would have impact on those routes?

I am going to take Lake Shore from Chicago to New York on 9/24 and take Cardinal from New York to Chicago on 9/30, then continue on TE from CHI to LAX on 10/2. Any idea if the potential strike would have impact on those routes?
Chances are pretty good that they'll be in either another, Congressionally mandated, cooling off period by then, or Congress will have mandated acceptance of the PEB recommendations. I have some doubts about the latter, because this Congress probably doesn't want to be seen as dictating to labor. But by the 24th, you should be in the eye of the storm, so to speak.

Amtrak cancelled the two night LD trains as of Tuesday. I would expect them to cancel the one night LD trains as of Wednesday, and the rest of the non-NEC (and adjacent) trains as of Thursday. That is just sound planning (something I ordinarily would never accuse Amtrak of).
Actually, not as of Tuesday, but just on Tuesday. So far, they're only canceling one day at a time. At this moment, you can still book anything on Wednesday or later. And although you can't book, for example, LAX to CHI on the SWC on Tuesday, you can book LAX to CHI via the CS & EB, since the EB would depart on Wednesday.

Tomorrow, they'll probably cancel both the 2-night trains and the 1-night trains departing Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back