The effect of the potential rail strike on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think strike-related cancellations wouldn’t start until 9/14 (as those would be en route when the strike is going on), though perhaps there are moves needed to service the train I’m not thinking of…

I guess they're worried enough about some significant delay pushing those trains' arrivals past midnight on the 16th and thus potentially stranding them.

For the eastbound trains, I could see that. The westbound trains (particularly Chief and Builder), they ought to be able to get in before they turn into pumpkins. However, that might be just to keep the equipment balanced.

I guess they're worried enough about some significant delay pushing those trains' arrivals past midnight on the 16th and thus potentially stranding them.

For the eastbound trains, I could see that. The westbound trains (particularly Chief and Builder), they ought to be able to get in before they turn into pumpkins. However, that might be just to keep the equipment balanced.
I also wonder if cancelling tomorrow’s departures is related to the location of crew bases - if the crews for the trains out of CHI are based there, they don’t want to send them to the endpoints and strand them there (or have to fly them home).

Many host railroads are also starting to limit the amount of trains allowed on their tracks starting in the days leading up to the strike. (I’m sure other members have more knowledge on that then I do).

I also wonder if cancelling tomorrow’s departures is related to the location of crew bases - if the crews for the trains out of CHI are based there, they don’t want to send them to the endpoints and strand them there (or have to fly them home).

Not really. You’re going to have crews out of place either way.

The Chief OBS are based out of LA, Builder is Seattle/Chicago, Zephyr is Chicago. Cancelling the eastbound will strand any Chicago-based crews. Cancelling the westbound strand any West Coast-based crews. And the T&E crews are going to be stranded wherever they are (or, more likely, flown/bused/vanned back) if the train they were supposed to work heading back home gets cancelled.

Not looking good.

If memory serves, it's better to talk with Customer Relations than Customer Service, yes?
My suggestion is don’t pre emptively cancel wait until you are notified to ensure you get full advantage of any fee waiving that may occur. To limit the impact on the call center they’re likely going to want to deal with only the imminently affected customers. Customer relations is for when you have a grievance or problem. This would be dealt with by regular customer service.

Last edited:
Are dispatchers part of the bargaining unit for freight railroads, and would they be on strike/lockout too?

I was informed that starting tomorrow Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and California Zephyr will be suspended as of tomorrow at 12:01am on Tuesday and entire rail network as of Friday at 4pm EST if strike continues. By means, it will not look pretty for while and hope it sorts out so we can enjoy rail travelling!

Not looking good.

If memory serves, it's better to talk with Customer Relations than Customer Service, yes?
Per a Facebook post:

Due to a possible freight railroad strike that could take place on September 16th, the California Zephyr will be canceled out of Chicago and Emeryville on Tuesday, September 13th. Amtrak will start notifying affected passengers day by day. Amtrak will give potentially affected passengers the option to change their reservation to another date, waiving any difference in fares for departures through October 31st. Passengers affected also have the option of getting a full refund without cancelation fees. Information regarding this service disruption is ongoing and will be updated accordingly as we get closer to the freight railroad negotiations deadline of September 16th.

Per a Facebook post:

Due to a possible freight railroad strike that could take place on September 16th, the California Zephyr will be canceled out of Chicago and Emeryville on Tuesday, September 13th. Amtrak will start notifying affected passengers day by day. Amtrak will give potentially affected passengers the option to change their reservation to another date, waiving any difference in fares for departures through October 31st. Passengers affected also have the option of getting a full refund without cancelation fees. Information regarding this service disruption is ongoing and will be updated accordingly as we get closer to the freight railroad negotiations deadline of September 16th.
Good to know - so passengers concerned can in fact cancel or change now if they wish.

Per a Facebook post:

Trains 3/4 and 7/8 cancelled for 9/13 as well

Any track Amtrak owns may or may not be effected by a potential strike. it all depends are Amtrak emplyees honoring strike due to safety of possible actions even on NEC , who dispatches such Amtrak line since trains can not run without dispatch , some Commuter agencies own and dispatch so those are not affected , like Metro-North and some NJT lines , not very up un rest of country on who is who .
The dispatcher's contract with Amtrak is separate not part of this bargaining. It is only the contracts with the big 6 freight railroads that are at issue. I doubt it will be a picket linr crossing issue for Amtrak dispatchers because any freight running on trackage rights won't be running, since the freight's operating crews themselves will be out on strike.

Last edited:
I understand the dispatcher's union has accepted the PEB settlement, but they will respect the picket lines of the units that haven't (the operating crews) and go out, too.
According to the WaPost article I posted earlier, the engineers and conductors are the only bargaining units which have not reached an agreement. (I'm not disputing the picket lines' effect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back