The effect of the potential rail strike on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my trip gets cancelled this would be the latest in a long line of cancellations for me.

Since 2016

9/2016-Cancelled for sick member of party (3 days before)
1/2017-Cancelled for sick member of party (day before)
5/2017-Amtrak cancelled train
9/2017-Cancelled for heavy rain concerns
1/2018-Cancelled for snowstorm
4/2018-Cancelled for sick member of party (1 hour before)
7/2018-Cancelled for car did not start that morning
9/2018-Cancelled for sudden heavy rain storm the morning of depature
12/2018-Cancelled for sick member of party (30 minutes before)
4/2019-Amtrak cancelled train
9/2019-Cancelled for car did not start that morning
3/2020-COVID
9/2020-COVID concerns
2/2021-COVID concerns (cancelled day before)
9/2021-Amtrak cancelled train
2/2022-Amtrak cancelled train
9/2022-Railroad Strike?

last trip was in 9/2015.
In my opinion, anyone riding Amtrak 1st Class should simply delay any long distance train trips for at least one year until Amtrak gets their business running correctly. If I spend over $2,000 for a one way trip, having to make those reservations months in advance just to get them, reserve hotel and car rental and suddenly with only one day or less I'm notified that I will be riding some Greyhound bus instead------ Hell no!

This baffles me: When the freight trains aren't running (i.e. on Thanksgiving for example) the AMTRAK trains were running on time. Now that the freight trains will not run, AMTRAK is 'afraid' to drive them on the tracks owned by the freight lines? AMTRAK will probably run 'on time' and that's good! But, I suppose, there could be some yahoo out there that might believe, since the freight trains aren't running, no one else can use their track? Good grief.
Hello, Jack,
Even on those holidays, the dispatchers and maintenance crews are on duty. They are not Amtrak but rather private railroad employees, who won't go to work if a strike is called.

Potential good news:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/09/15/rail-strike-deal-agreement-biden/
The White House on Thursday morning announced it had reached a “tentative” agreement to avert a national rail strike that threatened the nation’s economy.
President Biden said in a statement that the agreement would guarantee “better pay, improved working conditions, and peace of mind around their health care costs” for the workers.

Negotiators had until Friday at 12:01 a.m. to reach a deal to avoid a major impact to the economy.
A Department of Labor official confirmed that a deal “that balances the needs of workers, businesses, and our nation’s economy” was reached early Thursday morning after 20 consecutive hours of negotiations between rail companies and union negotiators.
“Secretary Walsh and the Biden administration applaud all parties for reaching this hard-fought, mutually beneficial deal,” a labor official said. “Our rail system is integral to our supply chain, and a disruption would have had catastrophic impacts on industries, travelers and families across the country.”

Yay very tentative...Still needs to be voted on though.

AP News: Biden: Tentative railway labor deal reached, averting strike
https://apnews.com/article/biden-economy-strikes-congress-94089be6a4f469444da99fec9dde1b3e
Or one or more railroad changes their mind about it, which is probably a more likely negative outcome since the proposed agreement seems to give the workers what they've been asking for (e.g., protection from being fired for unpaid sick days). I suspect Amtrak management will be busy today sifting through the situation trying to decide if it's safe to bring LD service back.

Has Amtrak cancelled all long distance trains or just some of them?

I have an upcoming trip on the Crescent. My ticket still shows on the Amtrak app, the Amtrak mentions “select” trains being affected by the potential strike and I haven’t received notice of cancellation.

But news reports say that all long-distance trains have been cancelled.

I don’t know who is correct.

Has Amtrak cancelled all long distance trains or just some of them?

I have an upcoming trip on the Crescent. My ticket still shows on the Amtrak app, the Amtrak mentions “select” trains being affected by the potential strike and I haven’t received notice of cancellation.

But news reports say that all long-distance trains have been cancelled.

I don’t know who is correct.
What day is your trip?

Also, it does seem like some of today’s trains that were cancelled as of last night are now back on. In particular, I’m seeing the 354 Wolverine available to book when it was cancelled before, and also the eastbound Cardinal. I figure there may not be many people onboard, though they’re probably doing this to get equipment in the right place if nothing else.

What is the alternative transportation other than driving? That would apply to any of the routes?
Clearly that message was posted somewhat in jest considering all Auto Train customers have their cars handy. The comment was about Auto Train, not about all routes.

This is the early AM Amtrak statement:
Freight Railroad Labor Negotiations – Restoration of Amtrak Service
September 15, 7:00 AM ET

Amtrak is working to quickly restore canceled trains and reaching out directly to impacted customers to accommodate on first available departures. Bookmark Amtrak.com/alerts for the latest updates.

I haven't heard anything specific about cancellations of Illinois Service trains, which operate on the same tracks as several of the LD routes; however, since cancellations of some of the Wolverine trains in Michigan were mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm assuming that most/all regional trains in Illinois (+ the Missouri River Runner) are temporarily cancelled, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back