The effect of the potential rail strike on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that cancelling the two-night trip trains was sorta kinda wise, although they could've should've done a better job of explaining why, and given cancelled passengers more assistance in working out alternative travel.
Why do I say this? For the single-nighter trains, getting the passengers to their destination is easier, due to the shorter distances involved. But out west there are miles and miles of miles and miles, and also the equipment would be really out of place.

I hope the statement that it will take several weeks for a cooling off period and vote is accurate. That takes a load off my mind. I was worried about getting stranded in CHI, or in WAS on the overnight connection, on my trip the last week of this month.
Now my concern is: what if this gets dragged out enough that there's a strike over Thanksgiving? Selfishly, that's when my next trip is planned, and it's too far to drive for me, and trying to figure out how to fly (I am 100 miles from the nearest airport) would be too hard - guess I'd spend another thanksgiving alone like I did in 2020

Question: what happens if the strike does NOT take place? Will Amtrak reinstate all the long-distance trains it has cancelled? Will Amtrak allow passengers who had reservations on trains that were cancelled to rebook their reservations on the reinstated trains for same dates and accommodations and at the same price originally paid?
So now what happens?

So now what happens?
Amtrak restart there network, maybe some of today’s trains didn’t make it out, but tomorrow all will. If your riding a three night train, it be a few days before your station see a train. If your book for this weekend, enjoy your travels. If your leaving a terminal today, might want to check. If your were canceled and have not rebooked, call Amtrak.

The question is very broad, so no blanket answer available. This going to be a mess for a few days. Those longer route trains are starting to leave today if all goes well.

Long distance cancellation status 9/15 11 am PT

Thursday 9/15
Capitol Limited and eastbound Cardinal running

All other LD departures remain cancelled.

Friday 9/16
All LDs departures are good. Normal service.
Yeah going to take a day to kickstart it.
Wonder if any Amtrak OBS are taken airplane to there trains?

So, do y'all think it's safe to book for first week in October?....Is the deal done for sure? I haven't seen the news today. Need to go from Charleston to DC or Philly and rent a car from there to enjoy some fall:)

can anyone give advice if october trains should still run as normal? i know they still have to vote and from what i’ve read it’s very likely an agreement will be reached but if not the tentative agreement ends 2 weeks before my trip. going to nyp from georgia aboard the crescent 🌙 there’s still time to cancel and drive to was and book a train from there but i’d prefer the longer ride on the train and not driving at all.

So, do y'all think it's safe to book for first week in October?....Is the deal done for sure? I haven't seen the news today. Need to go from Charleston to DC or Philly and rent a car from there to enjoy some fall:)
Go for it.
can anyone give advice if october trains should still run as normal? i know they still have to vote and from what i’ve read it’s very likely an agreement will be reached but if not the tentative agreement ends 2 weeks before my trip. going to nyp from georgia aboard the crescent 🌙 there’s still time to cancel and drive to was and book a train from there but i’d prefer the longer ride on the train and not driving at all.
Go for it.

Ok that said you might catch a hurricane or early snow storm, or some other interruptions. This labor action is in a good spot. So go for it.

I’ve kind of had the same concern - while there is a tentative agreement, I’ve seen reports of railroad workers not happy with the agreement, and it seems there is a chance one or more unions reject it. While I’ve generally heard several weeks, I’ve also heard the end of the month - which may be based on the IAM union previously rejecting a tentative agreement and setting a new deadline of September 29th. Any ideas as to where this fits into the equation - could this union strike alone (and would that cause Amtrak to shut down), or could others strike on the 29th?

The agreement IAM membership rejected was basically the PEB's recommended agreement. AFAIK it was superceded by the one negotiated overnight and announced this morning. This is a new and different contract and probably fulfills the demand of a different contract negotiated by September 29th, so that deadline would now be moot.

The negotiations were with all 12 of the unions, not with just the two whose leadership rejected the PEB recommendations AFAIK.

If any one of the bargaining units strikes, they'll all walk out because they respect each others picket lines.

I am reasonably sure the railroads, unions and particularly Secretary of Labor Wash and President Biden didn't want to leave a time bomb set to go off in two weeks laying around. The Administration's concern wasn't about Amtrak, but the US economy.

Yes, this agreement needs to ratified and could be voted down, but it isn't on a 9/29 timeframe.

Last edited:
I know Amtrak wasn’t really a major concern with these negotiations - long distance Amtrak passengers are a drop in the bucket compared to freight rail and it’s impact on the economy, and I know they probably don’t want this to become a problem again before the midterm elections. Was really just speaking to the topic of this thread and concerns about October trips,…

I was watching MSNBC Ari Melber at 6pm ET interviewing Howard Dean and Michale Steele. They said the basic things that the strike was averted by a tenative deal. Also said Biden was a train guy, which got on the subject of riding Amtrak up and down the NEC. Steele said he used to meet Biden quite often on the train.

Melber and Steele both said they travel NY - DC a lot and why does the snack bar alawys open so late and close so early - is it a policy issue. What do you do for snack. They mentioned their favorite snack to bring along, not reliant on the cafe car.

So they got off topic very quickly and talked about Amtrak, not that the NEC would have shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back