The effect of the potential rail strike on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a strike happens on the Dec. 9th what would happen to the Auto Train that departs the 8th and arrives in the morning of the 9th?
It most likely won't depart on December 8th if a strike happens or is likely to start on December 9th. Amtrak starts cancelling trains a day or two before a likely strike in order to not strand anyone en route.

If a strike happens on the Dec. 9th what would happen to the Auto Train that departs the 8th and arrives in the morning of the 9th?
And remember that a strike doesn't need to actually occur for trains to be cancelled. If a strike has been threatened for a certain date but Congress steps in to prevent it on the day before, Amtrak likely will already have started cancelling trains, and it will take a couple of days to get everything running normally again.

Also, at this time some of the unions can legally strike as early as 12/5, and if one union strikes, all will honor the picket lines.

And remember that a strike doesn't need to actually occur for trains to be cancelled. If a strike has been threatened for a certain date but Congress steps in to prevent it on the day before, Amtrak likely will already have started cancelling trains, and it will take a couple of days to get everything running normally again.

Also, at this time some of the unions can legally strike as early as 12/5, and if one union strikes, all will honor the picket lines.
So we have reservations on the Auto Train leaving LOR on 12/8. Do you think I should be concerned?

I hope there isn't a strike for all the important reasons.
On a far lesser note, I have a roundtrip coming up from December 5th through the 6th. I have heard that any strike would start on the 9th or so.
If it's going to happen, any thoughts if Amtrak would start canceling routes ahead of time? It's one thing if they shut it down, but it would less fun to be stranded.

For the rail strike scare that was what a month or two ago? Amtrak only cancelled routes for like the day of or day before if I remember right so I would think you are good barring any equipment issues as always.

On a far lesser note, I have a roundtrip coming up from December 5th through the 6th. I have heard that any strike would start on the 9th or so.
If it's going to happen, any thoughts if Amtrak would start canceling routes ahead of time? It's one thing if they shut it down, but it would less fun to be stranded.
What route are you taking? Assuming they do as they did a couple of months back in this situation they started winding down the long distances trains a couple of days ahead to avoid any getting stranded. You'll likely be just fine on the 6th, especially if you're not on a long-distance train originating on the 6th. Even that is likely to be okay, but if you're on anything shorter there should be no worry whatsoever.

What route are you taking? Assuming they do as they did a couple of months back in this situation they started winding down the long distances trains a couple of days ahead to avoid any getting stranded. You'll likely be just fine on the 6th, especially if you're not on a long-distance train originating on the 6th. Even that is likely to be okay, but if you're on anything shorter there should be no worry whatsoever.
Thanks for the info. I will be on the C.Z. going from Denver to Glenwood Springs and back. Could be a close shave.

So we have reservations on the Auto Train leaving LOR on 12/8. Do you think I should be concerned?
Depends on your tolerance for risk.

Personally, I would be concerned, but not yet panicked. Maybe start looking at alternate plans to cancel the trip or find other ways of getting there if things are looking bad a few days before. Some people might secure a refundable reservation on a flight,

Since you're on the Auto Train, driving is always an alternative.

For the rail strike scare that was what a month or two ago? Amtrak only cancelled routes for like the day of or day before if I remember right so I would think you are good barring any equipment issues as always.
Amtrak cancelled all long distance trains that would arrive at their terminals within 24 hours of the strike deadline the last time around. That was to eliminate the possibility of even a severely late train getting marooned. The last "2 night" long distance trains departed 4 days before the strike deadline.

Last edited:
Assuming the strike deadline is 12:01 am ET on 12/9 and also assuming Amtrak does what they did the last time, the last 5 and 6 will depart Chicago and Emeryville respectively on 12/5. That means the last 5 will depart Denver westbound and the last 6 will depart Glenwood Springs eastbound on 12/6.

Last edited:
Yes, if it isn't settled by a couple of days before, the 12/8 Auto Train will be cancelled, assuming a strike deadline of 12:01 am ET 12/9. If it is settled at the very last minute, it will probably have already been cancelled and would likely remain so.

Don't do anything, though. If it is cancelled, Amtrak will automatically process a full refund and you can just drive.

And cancellations will be day by day once they begin IE they aren’t going to cancel 5 days at once so that they can resume service as soon as it’s resolved. Last time they actually uncanceled a couple trains on the day the strike was resolved - the strike was resolved just a couple hours after they canceled trains . Last time the Auto Train did not miss a run - the one canceled run was uncanceled. The Auto Train was in the group trains that they held out the longest for. I believe also the Palmetto and the Capitol.

Thanks, everyone. They are now saying that walkouts could start as early as 12/5.

If the strike should start on December 5, would the Ethan Allen still run from New York City to Vermont on Thursday, December 1?

I have a friend who needs to go home to upstate New York on the EA on December 1. Is that cutting it too close? Or would the shorter-distance (not two-night) trains most likely still run that day?

If the strike should start on December 5, would the Ethan Allen still run from New York City to Vermont on Thursday, December 1?

I have a friend who needs to go home to upstate New York on the EA on December 1. Is that cutting it too close? Or would the shorter-distance (not two-night) trains most likely still run that day?
Again, if Amtrak follows the pattern they did the last time, the trains that don't run overnight will run up to the day before day when the midnight strike deadline is overnight that night (that would be 12/3 for a strike deadline at 12:01 am 12/5, aka midnight 12/4). Some shorter runs will even run early the day of the midnight deadline. The morning Cascades were scheduled to run the last time, for instance, but the afternoon runs were cancelled. Those were reinstated when the strike was averted.

Also Empire Service trains will likely only be cancelled past Albany, same as last time. The MetroNorth and Amtrak controlled Hudson Line will not be affected by the strike.

Last edited:
I am booked on the Silver Star for 12/2 from Philadelphia to Kissimmee. Any chance my trip will be affected by a possible freight rail strike? That’s only 6 days away. What about my upcoming Acela trip on 12/9?

I am booked on the Silver Star for 12/2 from Philadelphia to Kissimmee. Any chance my trip will be affected by a possible freight rail strike? That’s only 6 days away. What about my upcoming Acela trip on 12/9?
If strike deadline is 12:01 am 12/5, the last Silvers will likely depart their terminals 12/2 to arrive 12/3.

Acelas should not be affected as they operate exclusively on Amtrak and MetroNorth controlled trackage.

I've heard both dates. I am sure we'll get a firm strike deadline. It won't be a surprise. Four days before the actual deadline is will be Amtrak's last CZs until the strike threat passes.
We are set to return from DC on 12/5 to arrive in Orlando 12/6 on the Meteor. We took travel ins this time. Hoping no walk outs start that early.

According to this interview with this union president all the unions will strike on 12/9 if they do so. watch
Mike Baldwin, the president of the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen, is quite definitive here in saying all of the unions have agreed to 12/9. Sounds like a set deal to me.

Thanks for posting this.

Mike Baldwin, the president of the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen, is quite definitive here in saying all of the unions have agreed to 12/9. Sounds like a set deal to me.

Thanks for posting this.
12/9 makes sense if the unions are hoping for Congress to resolve the issue in their favor. This would be added to the list of "must pass" legislation (which might get packaged in one giant "Christmas Tree" bill) - funding the government, raising the debt ceiling, fixing the Electoral Count Act, and giving protection to same-sex marriage. The funding deadline is 12/16, but the Representatives and Senators would like to go home as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back