The effect of the potential rail strike on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, if Amtrak follows the pattern they did the last time, the trains that don't run overnight will run up to the day before day when the midnight strike deadline is overnight that night (that would be 12/3 for a strike deadline at 12:01 am 12/5, aka midnight 12/4). Some shorter runs will even run early the day of the midnight deadline. The morning Cascades were scheduled to run the last time, for instance, but the afternoon runs were cancelled. Those were reinstated when the strike was averted.

Also Empire Service trains will likely only be cancelled past Albany, same as last time. The MetroNorth and Amtrak controlled Hudson Line will not be affected by the strike.

I suspect they could run a few trains to Schnectady, top-and tailed, but won't bother.

So they always finish runs when there is a strike? That would make sense. The CZ stopping in McCook, NE and telling everyone to get out and then tying down the train wouldn't make sense.

So they always finish runs when there is a strike? That would make sense. The CZ stopping in McCook, NE and telling everyone to get out and then tying down the train wouldn't make sense.
You obviously do not reserve or allow boarding for anyone beyond the train's planned terminus. If they can truncate a Niagara Falls train at Albany, they can terminate others at St Paul and KC until they cannot do so, which is later than 4 days prior to strike deadline.

Once the strike begins, the trains stop wherever they are. That is why Amtrak proactively canceled trains a few days before the last potential strike deadline - so they would complete their runs before the strike begins.

It should be noted that Amtrak and their people are not going on strike. But for their trains running on the other railroads, if they encounter a red signal somewhere, it'll likely stay that way until the strike is over. By that time the Amtrak crew will have run out of time.

jb
And they would encounter that red signal almost immediately on commencement of a strike and likely a bit before. In CTC territory, the dispatchers will not leave any routes clear when they walk out. In non-CTC territory they will not be there to issue track warrants, so no way to get permission to occupy main track.

When there was a strike threatened in September, the strike deadline was on a Friday, the same as next month's deadline. Many LD trains made their last departures from home terminals on Tuesday. I happened to be taking the Lake Shore from Boston to Albany that Tuesday, and it turned out to be the last run of the LSL for several days. At South Station, passengers taking 449 were being warned that there would be no connecting trains south or west from Chicago. So, if we push right up to the deadline this time, anyone with reservations departing 12/7 or 12/8, maybe even 12/6 for some of the two-night runs, could potentially need a backup plan.

When there was a strike threatened in September, the strike deadline was on a Friday, the same as next month's deadline. Many LD trains made their last departures from home terminals on Tuesday. I happened to be taking the Lake Shore from Boston to Albany that Tuesday, and it turned out to be the last run of the LSL for several days. At South Station, passengers taking 449 were being warned that there would be no connecting trains south or west from Chicago. So, if we push right up to the deadline this time, anyone with reservations departing 12/7 or 12/8, maybe even 12/6 for some of the two-night runs, could potentially need a backup plan.
Realistically, the strike deadline was midnight ET Thursday night (12:01 am Friday). They cancelled any long distance scheduled to arrive on Thursday or later, to avoid any possibility of having a severely delayed train on the road at midnight Thursday. So the last 1 night LD trains were dispatched on Tuesday scheduled to arrive Wednesday, but the last 2 night trains were dispatched on Monday, also scheduled to arrive Wednesday.

4 days before will be the last 2 night LDs, 3 days before the last 1 night LDs.

Realistically, the strike deadline was midnight ET Thursday night (12:01 am Friday). They cancelled any long distance scheduled to arrive on Thursday or later, to avoid any possibility of having a severely delayed train on the road at midnight Thursday. So the last 1 night LD trains were dispatched on Tuesday scheduled to arrive Wednesday, but the last 2 night trains were dispatched on Monday, also scheduled to arrive Wednesday.

4 days before will be the last 2 night LDs, 3 days before the last 1 night LDs.

3 days before for the longer 1 night Lds (Crescent, Silvers, Eagle etc.)

2 days before for the shorter LDs (Which I believe was the Auto Train, Palmetto, City of New Orleans, and Capitol Limited.)

The 2 day ones were canceled the day before the strike but because it was resolved shortly thereafter they actually “uncanceled” the 2 day ones even after they had started issuing refunds and opened them back up for bookings for people that wanted to rebook. Those 2 day ones didn’t miss a run.

Mike Baldwin, the president of the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen, is quite definitive here in saying all of the unions have agreed to 12/9. Sounds like a set deal to me.
So, I will be okay for my trip on the Silver Star departing on 12/2?

2 days before for the shorter LDs (Which I believe was the Auto Train, Palmetto, City of New Orleans, and Capitol Limited.)

The 2 day ones were canceled the day before the strike but because it was resolved shortly thereafter they actually “uncanceled” the 2 day ones even after they had started issuing refunds and opened them back up for bookings for people that wanted to rebook. Those 2 day ones didn’t miss a run.

Thank you. This is the clearest summary I have seen.

I am going to be so sad if this happens. Yes, I get that the workers need sick days. Yes, I get the management is saying they've made enough concessions. But my mom is 86, this may be one of the last Christmases I get with her, it's too far for me to drive safely, I WON'T take the bus (had a bad experience doing that in the past), and I have no way to get to an airport (and would not want to leave my car for two weeks in "paid parking" that would cost as much as my plane ticket, probably) even if I could *afford* a plane ticket at this point.

My tickets are for the 17th, my only hope is either the strike is averted or if it happens, it's short enough that Amtrak just doesn't cancel - 'cos if they do, I bet I don't have a prayer of getting a new ticket before Christmas even if they did settle

it's just....it's been a really hard 3 years and I just look at the Universe now and go "this? this TOO, I am going to have to deal with THIS"

and yet at the same time, yes: I feel selfish and self-absorbed and guilty for being unhappy about this

I am going to be so sad if this happens. Yes, I get that the workers need sick days. Yes, I get the management is saying they've made enough concessions. But my mom is 86, this may be one of the last Christmases I get with her, it's too far for me to drive safely, I WON'T take the bus (had a bad experience doing that in the past), and I have no way to get to an airport (and would not want to leave my car for two weeks in "paid parking" that would cost as much as my plane ticket, probably) even if I could *afford* a plane ticket at this point.

My tickets are for the 17th, my only hope is either the strike is averted or if it happens, it's short enough that Amtrak just doesn't cancel - 'cos if they do, I bet I don't have a prayer of getting a new ticket before Christmas even if they did settle

it's just....it's been a really hard 3 years and I just look at the Universe now and go "this? this TOO, I am going to have to deal with THIS"

and yet at the same time, yes: I feel selfish and self-absorbed and guilty for being unhappy about this
I can’t imagine it will go on that long especially if congress is going to act. The senate is the issue for quick bills due to minimum debate times for the normal process. Unanimous consent is required to pass a bill quickly in the senate. It will eventually pass but if Sanders or someone else objects they’ll have to go through the full process.

I can’t imagine it will go on that long especially if congress is going to act. The senate is the issue for quick bills due to minimum debate times for the normal process. Unanimous consent is required to pass a bill quickly in the senate. It will eventually pass but if Sanders or someone else objects they’ll have to go through the full process.
Yeah, but my concern is that my ticket (Dec 17) is in the window that might get cancelled if there were even a several-day strike, and I can't imagine I'd be able to get another one before Christmas.

though maybe I could travel AFTER Christmas and at least have a few days at my mom's....but that would still kinda suck

Yeah, but my concern is that my ticket (Dec 17) is in the window that might get cancelled if there were even a several-day strike, and I can't imagine I'd be able to get another one before Christmas.

though maybe I could travel AFTER Christmas and at least have a few days at my mom's....but that would still kinda suck

After Christmas is a good backup plan. How much time/flexibility do you have with work after Christmas? Will someone else be with your mother on Christmas Day? If you have flexibility and she will have other company on Christmas Day, the week after Christmas can be a very nice visiting time.

After Christmas is a good backup plan. How much time/flexibility do you have with work after Christmas? Will someone else be with your mother on Christmas Day? If you have flexibility and she will have other company on Christmas Day, the week after Christmas can be a very nice visiting time.
well, she has good neighbors. I will be the one who will be totally alone. I would have about a week after Christmas which isn't very long for long-distance travel. Classes restart like around January 10, and I will need a few days before that as I'm teaching a totally new class and I will need to make sure I have my labs in place and stuff.

We have Vermonter NB Dec 7 and SB on the 8th. Do you think they would cancel that?
We have connection to New Haven on the NER, but if that gets canceled, we can drive there to get the Vermonter.

We have Vermonter NB Dec 7 and SB on the 8th. Do you think they would cancel that?
We have connection to New Haven on the NER, but if that gets canceled, we can drive there to get the Vermonter.
The Northeast Corridor including the NER trains will not be affected in any way by this strike. The Vermonter will be affected by the strike but I believe only because of having to enter CSX territory to cross the Berkshire Subdivison (former B&A )at Springfield. I do not believe G&W (which operates the railroad from East Northfield MA to St. Albans VT) or Pan Am (which operates from Springfield MA north of the CSX diamond to East Northfield MA) labor is affected by the strike so the Vermonter will likely run all the way up until the very last minute. You shouldn't have any issues. If the strike starts then all service north of Springfield MA will have to be suspended due to CSX workers striking. The B&A being shut down will essentially cut off the Amtrak dispatched railroad from the Pan Am dispatched railroad at Springfield.

Additionally Amtrak if the strike happens will not have the use of one of their tracks at Springfield station that's dispatched by CSX and will also not be able to wye trains there so the Springfield line would be limited to push pull service. I believe the plan last time was to truncate the Vermonter at New Haven, run the 400 series trains (which are all push pull) to Springfield only and operate the once daily through regional train push pull north of New Haven by sticking an engine on both ends.

Last edited:
But my mom is 86, this may be one of the last Christmases I get with her, it's too far for me to drive safely, I WON'T take the bus (had a bad experience doing that in the past), and I have no way to get to an airport (and would not want to leave my car for two weeks in "paid parking" that would cost as much as my plane ticket, probably) even if I could *afford* a plane ticket at this point.
I would share your concerns if a train trip were my best option for visiting my mom (who's turning 91 just before Christmas). I had my husband and son to share the driving with me from Dwight, IL to Kenosha, WI (approx. 4 hrs. by car) at Thanksgiving, but would not want to drive that long a distance solo, esp. at my 60-something age and with early sunsets this close to the winter solstice. If I had to make a solo trip by train to visit my mom at Christmas, it would probably be a combination of a Lincoln Service train to Chicago and either Metra directly to Kenosha or Amtrak's Hiawatha to Sturtevant (plus a bus or taxi into downtown Racine, a bus from downtown Racine to UW-Parkside, and another bus from UW-Parkside to the corner nearest Mom's house). A complicated enough journey, even without having to factor in a strike forcing one to find alternatives!

The Northeast Corridor including the NER trains will not be affected in any way by this strike. The Vermonter will be affected by the strike but I believe only because of having to enter CSX territory to cross the Berkshire Subdivison (former B&A )at Springfield. I do not believe G&W (which operates the railroad from East Northfield MA to St. Albans VT) or Pan Am (which operates from Springfield MA north of the CSX diamond to East Northfield MA) labor is affected by the strike so the Vermonter will likely run all the way up until the very last minute. You shouldn't have any issues. If the strike starts then all service north of Springfield MA will have to be suspended due to CSX workers striking. The B&A being shut down will essentially cut off the Amtrak dispatched railroad from the Pan Am dispatched railroad at Springfield.

Additionally Amtrak if the strike happens will not have the use of one of their tracks at Springfield station that's dispatched by CSX and will also not be able to wye trains there so the Springfield line would be limited to push pull service. I believe the plan last time was to truncate the Vermonter at New Haven, run the 400 series trains (which are all push pull) to Springfield only and operate the once daily through regional train push pull north of New Haven by sticking an engine on both ends.

Thank you! Greatly appreciate this knowledge. It's a bucket list trip, especially now that my husband's health makes longish train trips without using sleepers (hotel at one end) the best way for us to ride trains. It will be 19 degrees up at St. Albans but hey, we have parkas. Hope the bill and amendment pass ASAP for the sake of the workers and the travelers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back