the flagship of amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've lived in the mid-Atlantic most of my life & for as long as I could remember I've wanted to take the CZ. Finally got to do it in 2011, but only as far as Provo, UT.Hope to do the rest some day to see the "other" mountains. :)
Being of the pre Amtrak generation I can assure you that in the old days the CZ would surely rank in the top five flag ship trains of the whole nation. That from almost any railfan.

It was among the first trains to use dome cars. It was well advertised in such publications as National Geographic.The majestic scenery was part of the appeal.. Referencing the domes, the ads urged us to, "Look up .look down and look all around."
How about your top 5 Bill?

Id say, in no certain order: The Super Chief,Burlington/ Rio Grande Zephyr, 20th Century Ltd., Broadway Ltd. and the Panama Ltd. Other Nominations???

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lived in the mid-Atlantic most of my life & for as long as I could remember I've wanted to take the CZ. Finally got to do it in 2011, but only as far as Provo, UT.Hope to do the rest some day to see the "other" mountains. :)
Being of the pre Amtrak generation I can assure you that in the old days the CZ would surely rank in the top five flag ship trains of the whole nation. That from almost any railfan.

It was among the first trains to use dome cars. It was well advertised in such publications as National Geographic.The majestic scenery was part of the appeal.. Referencing the domes, the ads urged us to, "Look up .look down and look all around."

Id say, in no certain order: The Super Chief,Burlington/ Rio Grande Zephyr, 20th Century Ltd., Broadway Ltd. and the Panama Ltd. Other Nominations???

Jim I would say 20th Century Ltd, Broadway Ltd Super Chief, Panama Ltd.and California Zephyr.

very close runners up Empire Builder, North Coast Ltd. ,Lark, FLorida Special, Denver Zephyr, that is the 1956 version, City of Los Angeles after domes were added in 1955

Those are all great trains. For a short haul, I would nominate the 1952 version of the Afternoon Congressional. At the time, the fastest train on the not-yet-called NEC....

Featured modern Budd Streamliner equipment, with smoking lounges at the ends of coaches, Parlor Observation car, drawing rooms for daytime use, full diner, public telephone booth,etc...

Jim I would say 20th Century Ltd, Broadway Ltd Super Chief, Panama Ltd.and California Zephyr.

very close runners up Empire Builder, North Coast Ltd. ,Lark, FLorida Special, Denver Zephyr, that is the 1956 version, City of Los Angeles after domes were added in 1955
Which one was better, the Century or the Broadway? They probably comprised the biggest rivalry in the railroad industry. How about the Florida Special and the Silver Meteor? Or the original CL, SL, and a lot of other great trains. The CL offered domes from Chicago to the Northeast, which no one else did.

Those are all great trains. For a short haul, I would nominate the 1952 version of the Afternoon Congressional. At the time, the fastest train on the not-yet-called NEC....Featured modern Budd Streamliner equipment, with smoking lounges at the ends of coaches, Parlor Observation car, drawing rooms for daytime use, full diner, public telephone booth,etc...
Maybe also the Coast Daylight. A legendary train on the West Coast despite being quite slow due to the terrian.

Which one was better, the Century or the Broadway? They probably comprised the biggest rivalry in the railroad industry. How about the Florida Special and the Silver Meteor? Or the original CL, SL, and a lot of other great trains. The CL offered domes from Chicago to the Northeast, which no one else did.

Those are all great trains. For a short haul, I would nominate the 1952 version of the Afternoon Congressional. At the time, the fastest train on the not-yet-called NEC....Featured modern Budd Streamliner equipment, with smoking lounges at the ends of coaches, Parlor Observation car, drawing rooms for daytime use, full diner, public telephone booth,etc...
Maybe also the Coast Daylight. A lengendary train on the West Coast despite being quite slow due to the terrian.
Actually, if you look at all the Southern Pacific marketing between the 1930s into the late 1950s (before SP started to downgrade its passenger rail services with a vengeance), SP always considered among its top four trains to be the Shasta as its premier West Coast train, along with the Sunset, the Golden State and the San Francisco Overland. They were marketed as SP's Four Great Scenic Routes. The Coast Daylight was by no means a second-class train, but the overnight Lark was considered the premier SF-LA train, especially in the years when it ran with an all-Pullman consist while overnight chair car passengers rode the extra-amenity Coast Starlight between SF and LA, with its all-night double-car coffee shop/lounge.

Maybe also the Coast Daylight. A lengendary train on the West Coast despite being quite slow due to the terrian.
Actually, if you look at all the Southern Pacific marketing between the 1930s into the late 1950s (before SP started to downgrade its passenger rail services with a vengeance), SP always considered among its top four trains to be the Shasta as its premier West Coast train, along with the Sunset, the Golden State and the San Francisco Overland. They were marketed as SP's Four Great Scenic Routes. The Coast Daylight was by no means a second-class train, but the overnight Lark was considered the premier SF-LA train, especially in the years when it ran with an all-Pullman consist while overnight chair car passengers rode the extra-amenity Coast Starlight between SF and LA, with its all-night double-car coffee shop/lounge.
I wish Amtrak's SL was better than it is today.....

On the flipside, what would be Amtrak's whatever-the-opposite-of-flagship-is train?

(I'd call it the "Ugly Stepchild" train but I don't want to offend stepchildren!)

In its current lineup, I'd probably nominate the Hoosier State... a four-day-a-week train

that plods along through a state that doesn't really want it, with not even a cafe car

to tide the hapless passengers over during their five hour sojourn.

The clear winner from Amtrak's past would have to be the Lake Country Limited:

I'd probably list the CZ as the most well known. It could probably be argued that if you stopped random people on the street and asked them to name an Amtrak train, they'd say the CZ.
peter
Depends on which of the country you pick said random person from. For example I am very sure that very few random people on the street in the northeast even know what CZ is, or of its existence.
Or the Acela, for that matter.
Naw, they know what the Acela is. Amtrak actually advertises along the NEC.

The Hilltopper may give it a run for the money:

Amtrak_Hilltopper.jpg

Second on the Hoosier State as Amtraks current Orphan Train!

My nominee for the pre-Amtrak worst was SPs Sunset Ltd. with the Automat car and No Dinner and really Dirty/Ratty Equipment and Staffed by people Handpicked by SP Management to run off Passengers! :angry: It worked till A-Day! UP (the Octopus that ate Railroads) still treats Amtrak with this attitude as a Heritage of this Sad time in Passenger Rail History! :(

My nominee for the pre-Amtrak worst was SPs Sunset Ltd. with the Automat car and No Dinner and really Dirty/Ratty Equipment and Staffed by people Handpicked by SP Management to run off Passengers! :angry: It worked till A-Day! UP (the Octopus that ate Railroads) still treats Amtrak with this attitude as a Heritage of this Sad time in Passenger Rail History! :(

Of course, ,Jim, in the later years. But it was a fine train when first streamlined, about 1950

Of course, ,Jim, in the later years. But it was a fine train when first streamlined, about 1950
Totally agree Bill! I got to ride in my First Sleeper and eat in my First Diner (it was Very expensive, like $2.50!!! ^_^ )during the Streamliner years! So I got to see both the Good and the Sad of the Sunset Ltd.! ;)

The Hoosier State is definitely the orphan train.

But Indiana has Amtrak in an interesting position... If it didn't exist Amtrak would be forced to make special runs to move equipment from the Chicago yards to the Beech Grove shops. Indiana knows it looks better on the books to have those cars deadheading on a revenue train and can demand a low subsidy to operate the train.

The Sunset was a premier train for Southern Pacific as early as 1912, when it was known as the Sunset Express. At that time, the train ran between San Francisco and New Orleans as completely electric-lighted, with a full diner, an observation car with a library, parlor, club-room, writing desk, daily stock market reports, observation rotunda and even a telephone connection that was available for 30 minutes before departure in major cities en route. It had regular Pullman sleepers including drawing rooms, and tourist Pullman sleepers (berths and sections) and reclining chair cars.

By 1926, it had been renamed the Sunset Limited and was an all-Pullman train with through sleepers between San Francisco and New Orleans, Los Angeles and New Orleans, Los Angeles and Jacksonville, Los Angeles and Dallas, and San Diego and New Orleans. The club car had a barber and a bath for men. The observation sleeping car, with drawing rooms and compartments, had a maid, a manicurist and a bath for women.

Southern Pacific also ran the Argonaut daily between New Orleans and Los Angeles, with through sleeping cars between Los Angeles and St. Louis by way of the Texas and Pacific and the Missouri Pacific. The Argonaut ran between Los Angeles and New Orleans until 1960 with diner, sleepers and chair cars, when it was truncated to a Houston-New Orleans run with no services other than coaches. It was dropped completely between 1965 and 1967.

By 1934, cars on the Sunset Limited had been air-conditioned. Pullman sleepers ran between San Francisco and New Orleans, Los Angeles and New Orleans, Los Angeles and St. Louis, and Los Angeles and Mexico City, by way of Tucson.

There was full dining car and a sun parlor observation car with barber, valet and shower bath. The Sunset also included chair cars between Los Angeles and New Orleans.

By 1941, the observation parlor car included a radio. During WW II, the observation car was dropped and the only services were between Los Angeles and New Orleans, and the schedule lengthened by an hour because of heavy troop train traffic over the route. My parents had a drawing room on the Sunset in 1944 when my father had a 30-day leave before he had to report to San Francisco from Alexandria, Louisiana in preparation for going overseas to the Pacific battle front.

After WW II ended, the Sunset again ran with a full lounge car, and with through sleepers between Los Angeles and St. Louis as well as the full Los Angeles-New Orleans services, and a through San Francisco-New Orleans sleeper.

It had been streamlined by 1955, and through sleepers had been added between Washington DC-Los Angeles using the Southern RR's Crescent east of New Orleans. There were also through sleepers between Dallas and Los Angeles. In addition to the dining car, there was a coffee shop lounge car for coach passengers as well.

By 1960 the Sunset had become an extra-fare train but no longer had through sleepers to the East Coast, only between Los Angeles and New Orleans, and Dallas and Los Angeles. The lounge car still featured shower bath and valet services. But the string of harsh cutbacks by Southern Pacific in the 1960s were already beginning to be evident as the Argonaut had been reduced to a chair-car-only train between New Orleans and Houston despite a 10-hour ride.

In 1965, dining, lounge, sleeper and chair car services were offered between Los Angeles and New Orleans only.

By 1968, the Sunset still had its special service charge despite the fact that there were no longer any sleepers, only reclining chair cars (and advance reservations only required between June and September), and an automatic buffet car. There was no checked baggage service except for intrastate travel between stations within Texas where apparently the state railroad regulators refused to let SP drop the service. (SP did this on all its lines except on the Overland Route for baggage from San Fransisco to points beyond Ogden, where the UP took over.) The extra fare Golden State, which ran between Los Angeles and Chicago using SP and the Rock Island east of Tucumcari, New Mexico, had been dropped by 1968.

But whether through being shamed or (probably more likely) through government regulatory action, the Sunset again had sleepers, a diner and a lounge, and checked baggage service, by spring 1971, just before Amtrak took over the route. Perhaps the SP added the services back in expectation of the Amtrak takeover. Perhaps someone on this forum knows the particulars of this story.

On the flipside, what would be Amtrak's whatever-the-opposite-of-flagship-is train?(I'd call it the "Ugly Stepchild" train but I don't want to offend stepchildren!)

In its current lineup, I'd probably nominate the Hoosier State... a four-day-a-week train

that plods along through a state that doesn't really want it, with not even a cafe car

to tide the hapless passengers over during their five hour sojourn.

What's the difference between a P32BWH and a B32-8W? I thought #509 was a P32BWH, so why is this one a B32-8W?

The Hoosier State is definitely the orphan train.
But Indiana has Amtrak in an interesting position... If it didn't exist Amtrak would be forced to make special runs to move equipment from the Chicago yards to the Beech Grove shops. Indiana knows it looks better on the books to have those cars deadheading on a revenue train and can demand a low subsidy to operate the train.
For the Hoosier State, Amtrak will be bound by the cost allocation rules spelled out in the agreement with the states and the STB, even if Indiana has not signed the agreement. Amtrak might be able to offset some of the costs against deadhead equipment moves, but that may being going out on a limb in the eyes of the FRA and US DOT who have oversight responsibility. If the Hoosier State is the orphan train, it is likely to be kicked out of the orphanage and to the curb on October 1. (if I may mix my metaphors). ;)

What? 'Dissing' the 'Friendly Southern Pacific'? :D

What's the difference between a P32BWH and a B32-8W? I thought #509 was a P32BWH, so why is this one a B32-8W?
There is no difference. Amtrak calls it the "P32-8WH" GE calls it the "Dash 8-32BWH" or "B32-8WH" in line with the naming scheme for the rest of the Dash series of locomotives. Freight railroad fans are more likely to call it a "B32-8WH."

It translates to:

B (B type truck arrangement, 2 axles per truck)

32 (3200 horsepower)

-8 (locomotive model)

W (widecab)

H (head end power)

I would think the cardinal would rank up on the top of the worst trains. I think it only runs 3 days a week, with only one sleeper, and limited dining. Also, the route goes in such an indirect way that unless you have alot of time, it probably isn'rt the best. It is there just to serve the intermediate cities.

You can also argue the sunset east is the worst because it should exist but it doesn't.

The Sunset was a premier train for Southern Pacific as early as 1912, when it was known as the Sunset Express. At that time, the train ran between San Francisco and New Orleans as completely electric-lighted, with a full diner, an observation car with a library, parlor, club-room, writing desk, daily stock market reports, observation rotunda and even a telephone connection that was available for 30 minutes before departure in major cities en route. It had regular Pullman sleepers including drawing rooms, and tourist Pullman sleepers (berths and sections) and reclining chair cars.

By 1926, it had been renamed the Sunset Limited and was an all-Pullman train with through sleepers between San Francisco and New Orleans, Los Angeles and New Orleans, Los Angeles and Jacksonville, Los Angeles and Dallas, and San Diego and New Orleans. The club car had a barber and a bath for men. The observation sleeping car, with drawing rooms and compartments, had a maid, a manicurist and a bath for women.

Southern Pacific also ran the Argonaut daily between New Orleans and Los Angeles, with through sleeping cars between Los Angeles and St. Louis by way of the Texas and Pacific and the Missouri Pacific. The Argonaut ran between Los Angeles and New Orleans until 1960 with diner, sleepers and chair cars, when it was truncated to a Houston-New Orleans run with no services other than coaches. It was dropped completely between 1965 and 1967.

By 1934, cars on the Sunset Limited had been air-conditioned. Pullman sleepers ran between San Francisco and New Orleans, Los Angeles and New Orleans, Los Angeles and St. Louis, and Los Angeles and Mexico City, by way of Tucson.

There was full dining car and a sun parlor observation car with barber, valet and shower bath. The Sunset also included chair cars between Los Angeles and New Orleans.

By 1941, the observation parlor car included a radio. During WW II, the observation car was dropped and the only services were between Los Angeles and New Orleans, and the schedule lengthened by an hour because of heavy troop train traffic over the route. My parents had a drawing room on the Sunset in 1944 when my father had a 30-day leave before he had to report to San Francisco from Alexandria, Louisiana in preparation for going overseas to the Pacific battle front.

After WW II ended, the Sunset again ran with a full lounge car, and with through sleepers between Los Angeles and St. Louis as well as the full Los Angeles-New Orleans services, and a through San Francisco-New Orleans sleeper.

It had been streamlined by 1955, and through sleepers had been added between Washington DC-Los Angeles using the Southern RR's Crescent east of New Orleans. There were also through sleepers between Dallas and Los Angeles. In addition to the dining car, there was a coffee shop lounge car for coach passengers as well.

By 1960 the Sunset had become an extra-fare train but no longer had through sleepers to the East Coast, only between Los Angeles and New Orleans, and Dallas and Los Angeles. The lounge car still featured shower bath and valet services. But the string of harsh cutbacks by Southern Pacific in the 1960s were already beginning to be evident as the Argonaut had been reduced to a chair-car-only train between New Orleans and Houston despite a 10-hour ride.

In 1965, dining, lounge, sleeper and chair car services were offered between Los Angeles and New Orleans only.

By 1968, the Sunset still had its special service charge despite the fact that there were no longer any sleepers, only reclining chair cars (and advance reservations only required between June and September), and an automatic buffet car. There was no checked baggage service except for intrastate travel between stations within Texas where apparently the state railroad regulators refused to let SP drop the service. (SP did this on all its lines except on the Overland Route for baggage from San Fransisco to points beyond Ogden, where the UP took over.) The extra fare Golden State, which ran between Los Angeles and Chicago using SP and the Rock Island east of Tucumcari, New Mexico, had been dropped by 1968.

But whether through being shamed or (probably more likely) through government regulatory action, the Sunset again had sleepers, a diner and a lounge, and checked baggage service, by spring 1971, just before Amtrak took over the route. Perhaps the SP added the services back in expectation of the Amtrak takeover. Perhaps someone on this forum knows the particulars of this story.
Many thanks for the info.

One old time to another I have a question for you. There used to be a streamlined sleeper from Dallas to LA on the TE which it turned over to the SL in El Paso My question to you is how did that car go eastbound?

There is no difference. Amtrak calls it the "P32-8WH" GE calls it the "Dash 8-32BWH" or "B32-8WH" in line with the naming scheme for the rest of the Dash series of locomotives. Freight railroad fans are more likely to call it a "B32-8WH."

It translates to:

B (B type truck arrangement, 2 axles per truck)

32 (3200 horsepower)

-8 (locomotive model)

W (widecab)

H (head end power)
Personally I prefer to use the B32 nomenclature over the P32 as Amtrak also operates P32-ACDMs, which can get confusing having the two different P32s. So if one is a B32 & the other a P32, no confusion.

peter

Many thanks for the info.

One old time to another I have a question for you. There used to be a streamlined sleeper from Dallas to LA on the TE which it turned over to the SL in El Paso My question to you is how did that car go eastbound?
You are correct that the sleeper in the late 1950s/early 1960s time frame ran west from Dallas on the Texas Eagle to El Paso and then was hooked to the Sunset going west.

Eastbound, it came as far as Dallas on the Sunset, then was hooked to the Texas and Pacific Westerner from El Paso to Dallas. Interestingly, the Westerner ran from El Paso to St. Louis, changing over to Missouri Pacific trackage at Texarkana, and was called the Southerner in the MP schedules. Same for westbound; it was called the Southerner from St. Louis to El Paso if booked through the MP, but the Westerner in T & P timetables and if booked through T &P west of Texarkana.

The Texas Eagle was always by the same name whether running on MP trackage east/north of Texarkana or T&P lines west/south.

By 1965, the T &P was part of the MP, the Westerner/Southerner had been cancelled west of San Antonio, and the the Dallas-LA sleeper was history.

Not really. Amtrak managed for many years to use only the 3 day a week Cardinal to ferry cars to/from Beech Grove (BEE). Yes, Amtrak likes having the daily combination of the Card & Hoosier to ferry equipment back & forth; it makes scheduling easier. But if Indiana presses too hard, Amtrak will simply cancel the Hoosier State and go back to ferrying equipment 3 days per week behind the Cardinal.

I'd say the current Coast Starlight is almost or about equal to the Super Chief...NOT, of course, the Super Chief as run by Santa Fe, but it seems about as classy as the Super Chief was under Amtrak during 1971 to 1974, as far as the first class amenities----any other opinions on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back