The future of Amtrak and the long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given Amtrak has 125 locomotives under order at a cost of $2 billion for the national network, the long distance network seems pretty safe. I think the pertinent questions are:

- What will non-sleeper accommodations look like? I am not an expert on the topic of seat manufacturing. But I am curious what sort of long distance travel seats with foot rests and generous recline are in manufacture for trains around the world. Outside of the US and Canada, it seems like most overnight trains use the 2, 4 or 6 person berths common in Europe. When I think of a Superliner or Amfleet II seat and its replacement, does anyone manufacture anything like that anymore?

- What sort of in-between service from coach to sleeper is Amtrak interested in offering? Does Amtrak believe there is a market for what you could call "business class" on the western long distance routes? Was the past offerings of business class on the Cardinal and Lake Shore Limited a product of equipment needed (i.e. the only cafe car available was the half business/half cafe car), or did Amtrak see an actual market there?

- What is Amtrak's plan for volume of sleepers, given the current demand (although forecasted demand could be quite different)

Granted Amtrak has an immediate crisis with the freight strike but was curious if anyone had any insight/thoughts on which of the many new proposed Amtrak route(s) are most progressing forward at this time?

Separately, was thinking with this expanded Amtrak Connect plan there maybe should be a plan to provide Amtrak service to the most-visited and prominent flagship National Parks in the US... Grand Canyon, Yellowstone in particular and a few others (Yosemite is pretty good with the timed bus connection as is Glacier NP with current Amtrak service).

Curious also with the rapid decline of Greyhound if would be good to look at an expanded Amtrak as part of a larger combined national intercity rail and bus network where bus and rail are less in competition and more complimentary (essentially a vastly expanded Amtrak rail with a vastly expanded Amtrak Thruway). As Greyhound recedes, many key routes are outright lost or what does remain is often picked up by local transit agencies running very long local routes with transit buses which seems like a stopgap measure. Did once take a local bus from Lancaster CA to Bakersfield CA... 2.5 hours+.

Likewise and at the other end of the spectrum would be good to look at an expanded improved Amtrak as it ties into the national air network directly serving the main airports of the US.

Last edited:
Back