The Gulf Sunset Limited--Coming Back Again??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that you are a new member. Welcome. However before posting, you should look for existing or recent threads on the topic you are asking about, read it and post there than start a new thread. The prospects of eventually restoring service between New Orleans and Sanford/Orlando FL and Amtrak's recent study have been extensively discussed: The Gulf Sunset Limited--Coming Back Again??

I did not read the Sunset revival threads, as I assumed that it was wishfull thinking...

A "test run" sounds a positive move, and let's hope it works out for a reinstated service.

Moderators will consolidate or move a topic if it is felt to be a duplicate, so don't worry too much about starting a new one.

Sorry moderators. :p

Ed. :cool:

It's been over ten years since The Sunset suspended service East of New Orleans. I hope this is the final test and service will be re-instated soon. Obviously Mississippi,Alabama and Florida want the service back. I would imagine it's the states ponying up the money. Why has it taken so long? Shouldn't this test run been done five,six,seven years ago? I remember taking The Sunset when it ran all the way to Miami. Please make the "test run" positive and re-instate the full length of the Sunset! Soon!

It took an act of congress to get Amtrak to even study the restoration of service on the line.

Why would it not take as much to get them to start the service up again?

It's been over ten years since The Sunset suspended service East of New Orleans. I hope this is the final test and service will be re-instated soon. Obviously Mississippi,Alabama and Florida want the service back.
See, this is actually the problem. The *cities* want the service back. The *states* don't. We discussed this earlier in the thread: Mississippi and Alabama state governments apparently think of their own coastal cities as the enemy, and take a particular delight in sabotaging whatever the coastal cities want. This apparently happens to a lesser extent in Louisiana state government (located in Baton Rouge) as well. And Florida state government couldn't care less about the Panhandle.

Well! Does anyone know West Florida? It's basically the coastal cities of Mississippi and Alabama and the current Florida panhandle. Make a state called that, perhaps with a different name, then get a train-supporting politician to be one or both of its senators! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been over ten years since The Sunset suspended service East of New Orleans. I hope this is the final test and service will be re-instated soon. Obviously Mississippi,Alabama and Florida want the service back. I would imagine it's the states ponying up the money. Why has it taken so long? Shouldn't this test run been done five,six,seven years ago? I remember taking The Sunset when it ran all the way to Miami. Please make the "test run" positive and re-instate the full length of the Sunset! Soon!
In case you have missed what has been going on, this is not about extending the Sunset. That is not one of the alternatives being considered. The alternatives being considered is either a self standing train NOL to ORL or extending the CONO from NOL to ORL. There is a third alternative involving Thruway bus service too. Whatever is chosen is still several years away.

. . . Why has it taken so long? Shouldn't this test run been done five,six,seven years ago? . . .
In case you have missed what has been going on, this is not about extending the Sunset. . . . Whatever is chosen is still several years away.
This is the second big study ordered by Congress since the service was "suspended" back in 2005. (The earlier one is still up on Amtrak.com with the PRIIA studies.)

The first study said Amtrak didn't have enuff equipment, and ordering new equipment would add millions and zillions to the costs. The end of that plan.

This study says Amtrak expects to have enuff equipment by the time such service could start, so NO added costs for equipment. This plan is good to go.

Apparently the new bi-level cars coming for the Midwest corridors and California will free up some equipment used there, and Amtrak is ready to use it here.

Back