The High Line and other repurposed roadbeds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the only park of its kind in the nation that I am aware of.
What do you mean by this? Park's made out of former railway ROW? I know first-hand that there are a lot of parks and trails all over the nation made from former railroad ROW, many even in my area, they are not hard to come by AFAIK.

What do you mean by this? Park's made out of former railway ROW? I know first-hand that there are a lot of parks and trails all over the nation made from former railroad ROW, many even in my area, they are not hard to come by AFAIK.
Out of elevated rights of way? That's the uniqueness of the High Line.

Chicago has our own version, the 606 or Bloomingdale Trail, although it's more of a raised recreation trail than park.

At the time it opened, it was the only abandoned elevated rail line converted to an urban linear park. I know it has inspired other projects, but I don't know whether any others have opened that tick all the boxes.

The park is built entirely on the elevated structure, passing above city streets and thru buildings.

At the time it opened, it was the only abandoned elevated rail line converted to an urban linear park. I know it has inspired other projects, but I don't know whether any others have opened that tick all the boxes.

*pedantry alert*
*pedantry alert*

Well, there was this:

*pedantry alert*
*pedantry alert*

I rode the Bastille<>Boissy-St. Leger line on the last rush hour. Effective the following Sunday the Paris terminal was moved to Nation with better Métro connections. Later it was included in the first RER project.

Most of the public attention was directed toward the new line. It was front page news. Note that the RER name came later.

1969 007.jpg

Last edited:
Out of elevated rights of way? That's the uniqueness of the High Line.

Chicago has our own version, the 606 or Bloomingdale Trail, although it's more of a raised recreation trail than park.

Thanks for the response. You took the words right out of my mouth.
And you added the similar park in Chicago, one I was unaware of. Thanks again.

I visited New York for the first time in 30 years a couple months ago and walking the High Line was one of the more entertaining parts of the trip. The views down some of the streets were very cool and the Vessel gave the start of the walk a nicely bizarre (albeit with a tragic twist) photo op. Just being able to walk without constantly being interrupted by traffic was a large part of the charm. Having a view from 25 feet up certainly helped, as well. The taller viewpoint is kind of like riding on a SuperLiner instead of a ViewLiner... LOL!
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/heatherwick-vessel-saved
If you happen to be in New York City and want to see something railroad related don't miss the High Line, a park developed on a former New York Central elevated line down the west side of Manhattan. It is the only park of its kind in the nation that I am aware of.
Home | The High Line

Back