The new Chargers get a zero from me.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you see what happened to 6(17)? Arrived at Chicago 12-1/2 hours late. It had two non-Charger engines on it and had to be pulled by a freight engine from Nebraska to Chicago.
It was also carrying a charger locomotive on it, the new 301 unit.

Computers, are they great.
My company can’t get any new tractors right now. The power window, and power mirrors have a computer that controls them and of course no chips available.

Computer need to do everything. One bad line of code, one bad sensor, and our world stops. Can’t wait for artificial intelligence.

Remember those reboot issues with the Acelas in their early days, where an external laptop was required to unjam the software? It happens in new stuff sometimes. It has been a problem forever now that non-critical software is not adequately designed and tested. There is always a cost-benefit optimization which sometimes does not quite pan out. The whole concept was popularized by Bill Gates and Co in the evolution of Windoz.

Computer need to do everything. One bad line of code, one bad sensor, and our world stops. Can’t wait for artificial intelligence.
And who's going to debug the lines of code in the AI system? Do you suppose it will be any easier just because the entire thing is more obscure? 🤪 Human being with their NI (Natural Intelligence) would suggest otherwise. ;)

Maybe they should consult with the Detroit 3.
They have used computers in vehicles for years and the only vehicle I ever had computer issues with was ‘81 K car. No nightly upgrades, yeah you Apple, security patches or just glitches of any kind.

Maybe they should consult with the Detroit 3.
They have used computers in vehicles for years and the only vehicle I ever had computer issues with was ‘81 K car. No nightly upgrades, yeah you Apple, security patches or just glitches of any kind.
The computers in the Detroit vehicles are mere toys compared to the pile of stuff in the locomotives. How many Detroit vehicles interact with a complex PTC system to acquire permission to run and enforce its rules, just as an example of the stuff that has to work?

Trains site had this link to an article with several misleading statements. Talks about 125 MAX speed but does not say where it can run that speed. Only place I can think of is maybe the night owl when it has to travel thru CAT power off locations.
Amtrak's New Diesel-Electric Siemens Chargers Locomotives (businessinsider.com)
So BAD! 125MPH? More like "Using less fuel while idling on the sidings while the freights go by".

So BAD! 125MPH? More like "Could theoretically do 125MPH if there were stretches where the tracks were rated for that speed and there were no other trains in the way".

So BAD! 125MPH? More like "Only in other countries."

Trains site had this link to an article with several misleading statements. Talks about 125 MAX speed but does not say where it can run that speed. Only place I can think of is maybe the night owl when it has to travel thru CAT power off locations.
Amtrak's New Diesel-Electric Siemens Chargers Locomotives (businessinsider.com)
Going to the linked article I could not figure out what triggered your outburst. Could you please enlighten us by quoting an actual piece of text that you are complaining about? Thanks.

Identified Sprinters as ALC-64s. Said ALC-42 had larger fuel tanks. They are actually smaller because of better fuel consumption.

Last edited:
Back