The new Chargers get a zero from me.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember those reboot issues with the Acelas in their early days, where an external laptop was required to unjam the software? It happens in new stuff sometimes. It has been a problem forever now that non-critical software is not adequately designed and tested. There is always a cost-benefit optimization which sometimes does not quite pan out. The whole concept was popularized by Bill Gates and Co in the evolution of Windoz.
Same thing with the HHP8. I remember sitting for two hours in 12 degree temperatures as the interior of the train slowly cooled while they had to rouse a technician and the "million dollar laptop" to come to our aid. In the end they couldn't fix it, and offloaded us on to a northbound regional, returned us to Boston and had us wait for several hours in a locked-up South Station until they could retrieve the train and put a more reliable locomotive at its head. I think I ended up arriving in Washington about 4 or 5 hours late, and had pretty much no sleep that night.

Remember those reboot issues with the Acelas in their early days, where an external laptop was required to unjam the software? It happens in new stuff sometimes. It has been a problem forever now that non-critical software is not adequately designed and tested. There is always a cost-benefit optimization which sometimes does not quite pan out. The whole concept was popularized by Bill Gates and Co in the evolution of Windoz.

You never had to worry about this with the classic E and F covered wagons. All they knew how to do was run.

So BAD! 125MPH? More like "Could theoretically do 125MPH if there were stretches where the tracks were rated for that speed and there were no other trains in the way".

The Chargers are not just specified for the here and now but are expected to last many years which mean also adapting to changing demands.

I should very much hope that say, in 20 years, there will be more sections with 125mph capability.

The Pennsylvanian is pulled by a Genesis between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and there are stretches of 100+ mph tracks between Harrisburg and Philadelphia. Don't know if the Pennsylvanian actually hits 100 anywhere, though.
Sure it does. The Chargers will probably provide more time at 100+ due to the acceleration being miles better.

Back