The new menus are up on the Amtrak web site

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D T Nelson

Lead Service Attendant
The new menus for summer are up on the Amtrak web site.

It looks like the Empire Builder is the only train that will still have a grilled steak, a "Butcher’s Choice Cut Steak." All the others get the new braised flat iron steak in bordelaise sauce.

I see that the Empire Builder also has buttermilk pancakes instead of french toast.

(I have been monitoring this situation because I am getting on the Builder in a couple of weeks and I was going to be mightily disappointed if I didn't get a grilled steak while on board.)

Interesting some menus say Braised Flat Iron Bordelaise and some say Red Wine Braised Flat Iron Steak though the description sounds like it is the same thing.

The July issue of Trains includes an article titled "Taste-testing Amtrak's menu," which recounts a taste-testing workshop run by Amtrak's Culinary Advisory Team. It notes that these events are done twice annually, and take place at Amtrak's Wilmington, Delaware, training center. I don't suppose Veep Joe Biden ever drops in.

The story has a sidebar list of regional specials now being served:

Silver Meteor/Silver Star -- Coastal crab cakes with green chili sauce.

Crescent -- Low country shrimp and grits (I thought this was a bad joke when the Sunset Limited guy mentioned it at the L.A. NARP/RailPac meeting, but apparently there is such a thing).

City of New Orleans -- Bourbon Street seafood gumbo.

Texas Eagle -- Barbecued St. Louis-style ribs.

California Zephyr -- Pork tenderloin with balsamic fig sauce.

Empire Builder -- Bison meatloaf with creamy mushroom sauce. The Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 is particularly looking forward to this one, which will be served aboard Acela as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The July issue of Trains includes an article titled "Taste-testing Amtrak's menu," which recounts a taste-testing workshop run by Amtrak's Culinary Advisory Team. It notes that these events are done twice annually, and take place at Amtrak's Wilmington, Delaware, training center. I don't suppose Veep Joe Biden ever drops in.
The story has a sidebar list of regional specials now being served ... .
I think this is a web-only version of that sidebar.

Other changes:

Prices appear to have increased slightly from the last menu. Also, the chicken wing appetizer is gone.

The story has a sidebar list of regional specials now being served ... .
I think this is a web-only version of that sidebar.
Thanks! Hadn't seen that; much more extensive and detailed than in the magazine.

Didnt they used to have a lot more on the menu? Couldnt you order burgers for dinner and have appetizers too? Is this more budget cuts?

Didnt they used to have a lot more on the menu? Couldnt you order burgers for dinner and have appetizers too? Is this more budget cuts?
The one thing that I noticed missing was the buffalo wing appetizer. This was probably because few people wanted to pay for the wings and they found it uneconomical to continue to stock these. The irony here is that the kid's menu now has chicken fingers. Throw them in buffalo wing sauce and, voila, buffalo wings!

I'm also surprised they don't have the menu for the Pacific Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight, given that the menu is different from any other dining accomodation.

i don't like it the build your own burger is not listed on the LSL and it appears you can't get a can of soda with the meal either like other trains.

It looks like the Empire Builder is the only train that will still have a grilled steak, a "Butcher’s Choice Cut Steak." All the others get the new braised flat iron steak in bordelaise sauce.

I see that the Empire Builder also has buttermilk pancakes instead of french toast.

(I have been monitoring this situation because I am getting on the Builder in a couple of weeks and I was going to be mightily disappointed if I didn't get a grilled steak while on board.)
The usual Amtrak "new and improved" slight of hand!!!The prices are not up that much but a rose by

any other name etc.The Buffalo meatloaf on the EB will get tried on my trip in July, maybe someone will

let us know how it is, also the "new and improved" steak etc. Everything else seems the same eh!!!

Ok, now I'm getting hungry! But I have a question about meals. With all the recent delays on CZ and the possibility of being on the train for an additional 4+ hours, do trains ever run out of food? Or if delayed passengers are "bussed" to a point further down the track to catch up with a missed connection, what accomodations are made for missed meals for first class passengers--or anybody, for that matter? Maybe a few MRE's in my carryon?

Trains do run out of food, especially when they run extremely late. If you search through some past travelogues, you'll find stories of cafe cars running out of food, diners running out of nearly everything.

In those case, you'll read about Amtrak serving Dinty Moore Stew over rice. Either that or making a special pickup from a fast-food restaurant such as Subway or Kentucky Fried Chicken.

So what are these menus I found on line:

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/Dining_Car_Menu.r5.pdf

These look better and tastier than the ones you posted.

So what are these menus I found on line:

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/Dining_Car_Menu.r5.pdf

These look better and tastier than the ones you posted.

Those menus are from 2003! That was one of the last "normal" dining car menus before SDS started.

These menus have definately surprised me, now I need more ink for the printer! :p

cpamtfan-Peter

Other changes:
Prices appear to have increased slightly from the last menu. Also, the chicken wing appetizer is gone.
Have been concerned about the high prices of entrees. Is anyone else? Can't they lower the prices a bit and serve more customers? Also, the cost of cafe sandwiches ($6.00 for a small sandwich on the Silver Meteor last month!!!!) Good PR would be fairer prices IMHO.

There were burgers offered for dinner on one of our train trips- would be good if they kept that option.

Trains do run out of food, especially when they run extremely late. If you search through some past travelogues, you'll find stories of cafe cars running out of food, diners running out of nearly everything.
In those case, you'll read about Amtrak serving Dinty Moore Stew over rice. Either that or making a special pickup from a fast-food restaurant such as Subway or Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Last September my westbound California Zephyr (DEN-EMY, and arrived early) had to do the Subway/KFC thing, though not for lack of food. An apparent electrical problem had rendered cooking appliances useless, so the only hot food was oatmeal at breakfast. (EDIT: I learned the failure had occurred pretty much right outta Chicago; no hot diner food from the outset.) The "take-out" fare was for sleeper passengers only, and distribution - especially of the KFC dinners taken aboard at Grand Junction, CO - was a nightmare.

Coach passengers were stuck with lounge food, then around lunchtime over the Sierras the microwave quit and there was no hot food on the train at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back