The new Newark Airport Terminal A

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Thought some of the air travelers among us may find this interesting....

The new Newark Terminal 1 is massive:

Terminal_20220118.jpg

Here is some more info about it:

EWR Terminal One Redevelopment Program (PDF)

See my old terminal A-1 is being eliminated. Cannot see how any PATH train service can ever be instituted. And that G** awful Air Train??? Not that terminal but had an airplane main gear drop into a failed storm sewer. Even though PA built it originally they would not accept responsibility since PA had turned that part of ramp over to Continental airlines, I think(?).

See my old terminal A-1 is being eliminated. Cannot see how any PATH train service can ever be instituted. And that G** awful Air Train??? Not that terminal but had an airplane main gear drop into a failed storm sewer. Even though PA built it originally they would not accept responsibility since PA had turned that part of ramp over to Continental airlines, I think(?).
The current Air Train is history. It will be dismantled and scrapped. There is a new larger Air Train system perhaps more like the one at JFK planned. PATH will never make it past the EWR Rail Station on the NEC as far as I can tell.

The current Air Train is history. It will be dismantled and scrapped. There is a new larger Air Train system perhaps more like the one at JFK planned. PATH will never make it past the EWR Rail Station on the NEC as far as I can tell.
IMHO, that's far enough for PATH, as long as they build an efficient & reliable APM connection to the terminals.

Thought some of the air travelers among us may find this interesting....

The new Newark Terminal 1 is massive:

Terminal_20220118.jpg

Here is some more info about it:

EWR Terminal One Redevelopment Program (PDF)

I am well aware of this project and many others around the USA and around the world. The airports were extremely outdated. I have gone through many of the old terminals at JFK which have since been demolished and LGA which have been and will soon be demolished. I have passed by Newark Airport before and have used FedEx which has shipped parcels using EWR before. Never been in the passenger airport before but it looked out of date. The taxiways are horrible as planes are blocked and have to go slow and stop and wait for many other planes to move. This terminal alone won’t help much as United’s terminal has the bulk of passenger flights. They need to redesign the other parts of the terminals and taxiways in future projects for there to be any meaningful impact. Newark is one of the worst airports for passengers and Terminal A alone will not change that.

Airports are getting too darn big! And, this new terminal is an example of that. So far to walk and the more senior one becomes, the more difficult it is to do so. Those who design these terminals will sometime wonder: why did I make it so large?
It wouldn't be so bad if there were "moving sidewalks", but they're becoming less common. MCO actually ripped all theirs out a few years back; I have no idea why.

It wouldn't be so bad if there were "moving sidewalks", but they're becoming less common. MCO actually ripped all theirs out a few years back; I have no idea why.

So, the "smart ones" who decide such want to discourage those of us who are seniors and want to travel and have the financial resources to do not to travel?

Although I don’t fly, my hubbie does and he will do anything he can to avoid Atlanta airport, he hates it, too big, my daughter has to fly out of Newark, she is young and will probably be ok

I am actually looking forward to use Terminal 1 at EWR. IMHO it is a huge improvement over Terminal A.

Incidentally, initially United will have the largest number of gate in Terminal 1, which surprised me. But then it did also have a pile of gates in Terminal A I suppose. There has been some long drawn discussions on airliners.net on which destinations of United will go to Terminal 1.

So, the "smart ones" who decide such want to discourage those of us who are seniors and want to travel and have the financial resources to do not to travel?
The solution for seniors and travelers with disabilities is a sea of golf carts that weave around beeping and honking at everyone else. In my view it's mainly working age passengers rushing between connections who get screwed by lack of travelators.

Last edited:
The solution for seniors and travelers with disabilities is a sea of golf carts that weave around beeping and honking at everyone else.

I have learned to swallow my pride and request such assistance. Some of the most pleasant employees associated with airports and air lines whom I have encountered have been those who drive those carts. Or, push the wheelchairs.

The new Terminal 1 has been renamed New Terminal A and is within a few months of opening. Here is a neat passenger experience presentation from PANYNJ

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/passenger-experience/
Meanwhile new Terminal B plans are advancing. If you think that the new Terminal A is big wait till you see the plans for the new Terminal B.

https://pacorpredevblobstorage.blob...s/CPEAM_-_EWR_Terminal_2_-_Public_Session.pdf

And then there is this massive plan for the development of Newark Airport City and the complete replacement of the current EWR station on the NEC by a new vastly bigger station a mile south/west of it, serving both the airport and the Airport City. It is very likely well beyond my lifetime with the 2050 timeframe mentioned.

https://acn.njit.edu/
Click on the "READ MORE" button under the ACN Final Report II 2021 block

Hey it even shows a Superliner at the new station :D

Last edited:
According to a few posts in airliners.net, United will apparently be using its New Terminal A gates for heavy O&D traffic flights. Apparently their entire Florida operation will move there. That would be interesting to say the least.

Apparently they will have two wide body gates, and there may be a few wide body flights to Florida.

They will also have significant capacity enhanced air side bus connection between Terminal A and C. Academy will be the subcontractor for providing this service which will use high capacity low floor buses, like seen at many foreign airports.

Meanwhile, DCA (Reagan National Airport, though old-timers and cabbies and staunch Dems still call it "National Airport") is doing the opposite. Terminals A and B are now terminals 1 and 2. Gate numbers are unchanged but now have a letter in front of them. Though the letter, of course, just identifies the corridor, not the terminal. "No airlines or gates have moved. This is just a signage enhancement project." Beats me what purpose it serves, 'cause I never had any trouble finding my gate at DCA. (Getting there by Metro, yeah, and clearing TSA; but finding my gate was easy.) But it's a nice little revenue stream for the sign manufacturers and installers. And probably for a team of consultants.

https://www.flyreagan.com/enhanced-signage-dca

At Newark the plan has been to replace old Terminal A by the new one. Only during construction the new one was called Terminal 1 for a while. Otherwise Newark terminals have consistently had letter designations for many decades. Each terminal has had multiple pods given numbers. So at present old A-1 has been replaced by new A. Old A-1 has been demolished and replaced by taxiways and parking pads. Old A-2 and A-3 still exist and will get demolished as more of new A is commissioned.

Then they will start working on B, which is a much more massive new terminal as planned. Much larger than new A.

Politics have nothing to do with it, I use "Reagan National" about as much as I use "Thurgood Marshall BWI", which is to say "freaking never".
I suppose that may be why when they changed the name of Idlewild, they completely dropped Idlewild and named the airport John F Kennedy International, and changed the code to JFK to boot. So now everyone calls it JFK or Kennedy. And La Guardia I guess has always been La Guardia.

Technically Newark is "Newark Liberty International", but at least I have never used the L word in referring to Newark. It is EWR or Newark.

Meanwhile, DCA (Reagan National Airport, though old-timers and cabbies and staunch Dems still call it "National Airport") is doing the opposite. Terminals A and B are now terminals 1 and 2. Gate numbers are unchanged but now have a letter in front of them. Though the letter, of course, just identifies the corridor, not the terminal. "No airlines or gates have moved. This is just a signage enhancement project." Beats me what purpose it serves, 'cause I never had any trouble finding my gate at DCA. (Getting there by Metro, yeah, and clearing TSA; but finding my gate was easy.) But it's a nice little revenue stream for the sign manufacturers and installers. And probably for a team of consultants.

https://www.flyreagan.com/enhanced-signage-dca

Another example of change for change's sake?

Politics have nothing to do with it, I use "Reagan National" about as much as I use "Thurgood Marshall BWI", which is to say "freaking never".

You might be in one of my first two groups, "old-timers and cabbies [do you drive a taxi?!]" and not my third, "staunch Dems." But I definitely know all three types!

I suppose that may be why when they changed the name of Idlewild, they completely dropped Idlewild and named the airport John F Kennedy International, and changed the code to JFK to boot. So now everyone calls it JFK or Kennedy. And La Guardia I guess has always been La Guardia.

Technically Newark is "Newark Liberty International", but at least I have never used the L word in referring to Newark. It is EWR or Newark.
La Guardia started out as North Beach Airport, then when commercial flights started at that expanded location it became New York Municipal Airport.
Before being renamed Kennedy International, it was officially New York International Airport at Idlewild, IIRC….

Back