The North South Connect

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know what all of the construction is for adjacent to South Station, just to the south side? I am assuming that it is a parking garage.

We were in Boston this past weekend, and my impression is that, for Amtrak passengers, there just aren't nearly enough passengers connecting between South and North station to justify the cost of a connection.

In a perfect world, I would love to see Amtrak trains stop at South Station, North Station, and the airport before heading north toward Portland. But that will never happen in my lifetime.

Does anyone know what all of the construction is for adjacent to South Station, just to the south side? I am assuming that it is a parking garage.

We were in Boston this past weekend, and my impression is that, for Amtrak passengers, there just aren't nearly enough passengers connecting between South and North station to justify the cost of a connection.

In a perfect world, I would love to see Amtrak trains stop at South Station, North Station, and the airport before heading north toward Portland. But that will never happen in my lifetime.
There is a large parking complex included in the first phase of this "expansion" project (separate from the official SS expansion project).
For the tunnel connection, Amtrak traffic is not the reason to do it, but rather MBTA traffic.

For the tunnel connection, Amtrak traffic is not the reason to do it, but rather MBTA traffic.
I did notice that there are a LOT of office buildings near South Station, but they aren't exactly far from the Downtown Crossing T station.

Also, it had been about ten years since I spent time in the Seaport District. Holy cow has that area changed!

Yes, it's entirely for the MBTA "Purple Lines".

I suppose there's a possibility of Amtrak running Downeasters with dual-mode locomotives through the tunnel and onto the NEC, but that would be very much an opportunistic thing, and probably wouldn't happen at all.

Back