VIA Ocean discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marbleski

Train Attendant
I am booked in Car 1539 Unit 6 going from Halifax to Ottawa and Car 1439 Unit 6 on my return. I assume it is the same car and room both ways as the train numbers are 15 westward bound and 14 going east.

Since they no longer turn the train around in Halifax does this mean that I will be forward facing in one direction and backward facing in the other? If so, which way is facing forward?

Thanks.

I am booked in Car 1539 Unit 6 going from Halifax to Ottawa and Car 1439 Unit 6 on my return. I assume it is the same car and room both ways as the train numbers are 15 westward bound and 14 going east.

Since they no longer turn the train around in Halifax does this mean that I will be forward facing in one direction and backward facing in the other? If so, which way is facing forward?

Thanks.
Even-numbered rooms face one direction, odd-numbered the other:
https://corpo.viarail.ca/en/projects-infrastructure/train-fleet/renaissance-sleeping-car/diagram
If this video is an indication, then the Sleeper cabins’ windows face the Southern Side (which would make even rooms face forward when traveling Eastbound and odd ones facing forward when traveling towards Montreal), but best to call VIA, as the agents reservation screen should indicate the direction of travel:

https://corpo.viarail.ca/en/projects-infrastructure/train-fleet/renaissance-sleeping-car/diagram
If this video is an indication, then the Sleeper cabins’ windows face the Southern Side (which would make even rooms face forward when traveling Eastbound and odd ones facing forward when traveling towards Montreal), but best to call VIA, as the agents reservation screen should indicate the direction of travel:

In a helpful coincidence, my observation has been confirmed today in a different forum:
*All Renaissance sleepers are oriented backwards (i.e. vestibule at the front) from Montreal, and therefore forward (vestibule at rear) from Halifax. This means even numbered rooms are forward facing on #14, and odd numbered rooms are forward facing on #15.
https://groups.io/g/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/message/93147

Thanks for your help. The links are spot on. For the life of me I could not find the drawing of the sleeper train car Lol. I figured it would be buried on the site somewhere.

I will call via and see if I can get room 5 going west.

Much appreciated.

The video in Renaissance sleeping car / VIA Rail -
-O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G- High Definition *Cell* phone video amazing !

Been to Halifax by cruise ship and seen the Ocean at the VIA Station - all this while VIA could turn the train in the container shipyard.
Shame that the container shipyard stopped this movement - a very short interruption to their work.

Didn't want to start a new thread. I don't see any HEP sleeper accomodation available in May 2022. Anyone know what's up with that? I may just call Via? Hoping to snag a cabin for 3!

I was checking out VIA's website for a possible summer trip on the Ocean, and every departure (in both directions) only shows Renaissance sleeping cars; is VIA no longer using consists with Budd sleepers on the route?

It's official, I'm taking the Ocean from Montreal to Halifax this June! I'll be in a section berth in a Budd sleeper. I know the Ocean doesn't have a Park Car 😭 anymore, but has VIA replaced it with a different lounge car? Will the dining car be a Renaissance car or a vintage car? I'm so excited!

It's official, I'm taking the Ocean from Montreal to Halifax this June! I'll be in a section berth in a Budd sleeper. I know the Ocean doesn't have a Park Car 😭 anymore, but has VIA replaced it with a different lounge car? Will the dining car be a Renaissance car or a vintage car? I'm so excited!
Dining car will be Renaissance. They're essentially a 3-car unit with the kitchens on either side of the seating area and the balance of the "kitchen cars" is lounge space - also the only place WiFi is available on the train. There were two consists. One is almost entirely Renaissance cars and the other is a mix - likely the one you're on. That train had a Skyline dome lounge for awhile but it was not there the last time I saw video of it. Recent videos showed a few Skylines parked in Montreal, so perhaps it will return with seasonal demand. Including one with the all-Ren consist is unlikely due to coupling issues, which was not a problem with Park cars (being on the end of the train).

I am considering a trip on the Ocean this fall. I did a test booking for a random date and it listed both Renaissance and Budd sleeper rooms. Is there any advantage to one over the other if one has a choice? I would be looking for a cabin for 2.
Look closely at the Renaissance diagrams, some of the rooms have their own showers. The Budd cars ones are a bit larger and I think the cars ride better, but someone else can chime in on that topic. I haven't taken this train in years and I remember us having a Drawing Room in the Park Car and going up one car to take a shower. Today's train is sadly diminished.

Look closely at the Renaissance diagrams, some of the rooms have their own showers. The Budd cars ones are a bit larger and I think the cars ride better, but someone else can chime in on that topic. I haven't taken this train in years and I remember us having a Drawing Room in the Park Car and going up one car to take a shower. Today's train is sadly diminished.
Agree with everything here.

A Budd sleeper is definitely more comfortable on this route if available. Their wider bunk and thicker mattresses do have to be balanced with the Renaissance ensuite showers however. Some of the Budd cars have a shared shower (like the Canadian) and on some trains they set aside one or two "shower rooms" on an adjacent Renaissance car.

Back