the old lounge cars from 1978??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out whether all the lounge cars that would have been run on the CZ and SW Chief routes back in the late 70's are out of service or not. If they are in service, where are they? And if not, are there any lounges similar?

Not Quite sure if you're referring to the Heritage Cars or not. But the Heritage Fleet Lounges and most coaches were taken out of service once the Amfleet II's arrived.

sutton8596 said:
Hi all,I'm trying to find out whether all the lounge cars that would have been run on the CZ and SW Chief routes back in the late 70's are out of service or not. If they are in service, where are they? And if not, are there any lounges similar?
In the late '70's those trains were using Superliners, and yes the original Superliner I Lounges are still in use today. If you are regarding to the pre-Amtrak equipment used on those trains, well all of that is long gone or purchased by private owners.

I am thinking you mean the pre-Amtrak cars.If that is what you mean, most of that, now, would be 45-55 years old. As Amfleet said, private ownership, or scrap pile or perhaps limited use in things like dinner trains, steam engine excursions, museums(railroad and otherwise), Cruise trains are another possibility of where some such equipment has gone.

Had you asked the question back when Amtrak began 32 years ago, such equipment was still viable and some of it was of course used in Amtrak at first. ALso some sold to Canada, Mexico, the state of Alaska, etc.

Hi guys,

thanks for the answers. I was curious also about the equipment Amtrak used at first, but I was more specifically asking about the cars used in the late seventies. I just remember lots of tables and some kind of bar in the lounges. It was great for socializing, and kind of cozy. Orange predominated the color schemes, I think. I believe it was bilevel but don't remember.

Sad that they stopped using them. I thought maybe they were being used on the East coast.

Cheers,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back