The Passing of a Friend!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was very sadden to hear this news. I have ridden many trains with Patrick from Maine to the Mexican Border and many places in between. He and Alice even came down my local commuter line after the Boston gathering. I still have many postcards from some of his many trips. I know I will certainly miss Patrick.

My condolences to Alice & to Patrick's family

I'm stunned and so sorry to hear this news.

I had no idea he was sick.

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Patrick, but have enjoyed his humor, knowledge, trip reports, pics and Fez here.

He was one of the many that made me feel welcome here, and I truly appreciate it.

I will miss him, and my heart goes out to all of you who know and love him.

I will be praying that the Lord will fill you all with His comfort, mercy and grace, especially Alice and his Mom.

Patrick "P.J." Galligan died on May 1st, 2014 of factors resulting from his multi-year ordeal with cancer.

Loved by few, liked by many, and undoubtedly despised by many more, P.J.'s life was filled with the many activities he undertook that would result in a wide range of reactions and sentiments from others, which was fine by him.

Though he loved his life, and had a great deal of fun living it, he also felt, as the lyric from The Who's "My Generation:" I hope I die before I get old. So as things turned out he actually did, and prior to his passing received a measure of satisfaction from this circumstance.

The above obituary was written by Patrick himself and with Alice's permission and consent, along with her help in forwarding it on to me, I have posted it using Patrick's own handle. We both felt that our friend would see the humor & irony of doing it himself as it were.

And with that I now retire Patrick's handle, but out of respect for the help & service he provided this forum and its members both as a general member for many years and for 5 years as a Gathering Committee member, I will move his handle into the special Honored Members group.

RIP my friend! You will be missed............. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
That obituary is both hilarious and heartbreaking. I never had the pleasure of meeting him; I'm going to miss his posts and sense of humor. :(

To say Patrick will be missed is a true understatement. It's hard to believe that such a great friend has moved on to a new life. As I look through my pictures of the 2012 AU gathering I found one where we had just wrapped up our tour of the Wilmington Shops and Patrick was standing at the podium in the room leaning on it. I can only imagine what he would have said if he had decided to crack a joke.

I can't wait to see such a great friend on the other side of the main line! Rest Easy my friend.

Alan, you did us all a great service, for honoring your friend with that post. What an amazing individual he must have been. There is nothing fair about life, we all find out. I've attended 2 memorial services recently, and both for doctors who dedicated their lives to their patients. Both gone too soon. What is fair about that? We are reminded yet again that our time on earth is really short and all anyone can hope for is to leave some sort of legacy. I'd say your friend Patrick has definitely had that effect on a wide audience.

When I read Patrick's obituary above, my first thought was "who wrote that!" Then I read Alan's post about those being Patrick's own words. Ahhh. So like Patrick. I think he enjoyed that many people actually did have a love/hate relationship with him. I was one of them.

Yes, it is proper that his handle be placed in the Special Honored Members Group.

Sorry to hear about Whooz. He was an excellent "journalist" that captivated us and a creative photographer. I met him a couple of times during AU gatherings and riding down one of Pacific Surfliner trains. He wasn't afraid to try something funny. Thanks Whooz!

Attending the Gatherings have given me the opportunity to meet many interesting people and connect with railfans from all over the country. I've attended them all since the original 2007 Gathering in Chicago and am looking forward to next month in San Francisco. However, I'll admit that I don't post or visit as frequently as many on the board.

Recently, I spent most of last week riding trains in Chicago and up and down the Northeast Corridor. I've always enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people during the day, while also appreciating the peace and solitude while riding the rails at long stretches during the late evening and early morning hours.

Last Thursday, I had some time to lounge in Boston's Club Acela, while waiting for #67 to Washington. J-1 3235 was gracious enough to come down that night and we had a chance to visit and share dinner.

It was an enjoyable evening, but I was unprepared when he told me that Patrick had passed away. As I was traveling from Chicago to Washington, earlier in the week, I was contemplating the Gathering in San Francisco and wondering if Patrick and Alice would be in attendance.

I first had the pleasure of meeting Patrick during the 1st Gathering in Chicago in 2007. I've always told people that it was fortuitous that the first Gathering was in Chicago. Being from Wisconsin, Chicago was pretty close by and the cost and time required were minimal.

Members of my family thought I was a little crazy, meeting and lodging with people I only knew from the internet. Yet, I decided to go anyway.

I rode the Metra for the first time, spent some time taking in Jazz at Buddy Guys, roomed with other railfans at the Hosteling International-Chicago and met this free spirited dude from California with a taste for fez, rails, and rock n roll.

We had a good mix of folks that first year, but I was impressed that someone would come all the way from California for what was, at the time, only a two day event. I had never been to California, but always wanted to go. Of course, I got my chance the following year and have Patrick to thank.

He may not have had the final decision in 2008, but once it was decided that AU would be meeting in Los Angeles, he went out of his way to fill the roll of gracious host for his out of town guests. He was close enough to lodge at home, but made a point to stay at the Metro Plaza to be part of the group, answer questions and just hang out and talk trains.

I fondly remember one of our conversations:

"Hey Patrick. I've never been to California before, but I've always wanted to experience an earthquake. Nothing too serious. Just something small, but it's a bucket list thing and I've heard you have some influence around these parts.".

"Let me talk to my people and I'll see what I can do."

Sunday morning rolled around and I was already thinking about my upcoming departure, back to Chicago on the Southwest Chief later that night. Patrick met me in the lobby of the Metro Plaza.

"I got some bad news for you. I wasn't able to pull that earth quake thing together, but would you be interested in taking a short ride to Oxnard on the Surfliner? I heard some reports on the radio and you may get to see some wild fires."

Just hearing him describe it, I figured I may see some orange in the distance, maybe a little smoke, as if it was all some kind of elaborate set for a movie.

Of course, the reality was, that winds had shifted, causing that little fire to spread, so much so that the Surfliner was stopped at Oxnard and unable to continue. When we finally got back to Los Angeles, I was concerned that the Chief would also be disrupted. It was, but only because of bad-ordered dining car. Luckily, it was only a minor delay and we left Los Angeles only down an hour.

Patrick, however, may have had real trouble getting back home, but Alice graciously offered to drive him home, though I believe they may have taken a less than direct route to get there.

Regardless, my first trip to California was a success and I owe that in apart to Patrick's generosity and sense of humor. He knew that physically I would often lag behind, yet he didn't seem to mind. I don't think I would've been able to get to and from Cantor's restaurant without his willingness to show me the way.

I passed up a chance to visit In&Out because of Patrick's enthusiasm and insistence that cruising Olivera Street, the birthplace of the City of Los Angeles would be more enriching. He was right.

Sometimes, it just takes the right person to encourage you to take the path less traveled.

I also remember going to Philippe's to have a sandwich, since Patrick mentioned it's long history and its famous mustard.

Being that it was right across from the Metro Plaza, I think I walked there 3-4 times over the course of a weekend. As Patrick said, it had changed little from the time that he went with his parents for the first time.

I am sure I'll also get to meet many folks at our upcoming Gathering next month. I am enthusiastic and no longer have the sense of trepidation I had when visiting California for the first time, yet it won't be the same, knowing that Patrick won't be there.

Patrick,

Thanks for your friendship, patience, and wicked sense of humor. Whenever I think of Philippe's, wild fires, horchata, and Olivera Street, I'll think of you, and, on the off chance the Bay Area experiences some minor shocks and tremors next month, I'll know whom to thank.

i-tfQDBnN-S.jpg

Aloha

Patrick will be there, he will always be with us, in our hearts. Mahalo Patrick for being our friend.

I never knew him, but reading all of these posts I received a small glimpse. I'm sorry for the loss of everyone that did consider him a friend or family. Rest in peace.

Back