The Pennsylvanian Lives!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a little piece of coal for the firebox: :p

Bud Shuster's view on the future of the Pennsylvanian, according to Politico's Morning Transportation report from yesterday:

"We learned the lessons from Harrisburg to Philadelphia. How do you do it? You increase the speed, you get the time down to travel." He said driving from the state capital to Philly can take more than three hours, while the Keystone can do it in about 90 minutes.
It takes three hours to drive from Harrisburg to Philadelphia only if you try. The Keystone is faster than driving, but not that much faster.
It depends where you're going in Philly and what time you're going - and if you run into an accident on the turnpike. Variables. Three hours does seem a bit excessive, though I can imagine during the biggest rush hours to get from downtown Harrisburg to downtown Philadelphia it might take that long.
Even the bus (Greyhound) does it nonstop from downtown to downtown in two hours.....

Here is a little piece of coal for the firebox: :p

Bud Shuster's view on the future of the Pennsylvanian, according to Politico's Morning Transportation report from yesterday:

"We learned the lessons from Harrisburg to Philadelphia. How do you do it? You increase the speed, you get the time down to travel." He said driving from the state capital to Philly can take more than three hours, while the Keystone can do it in about 90 minutes.
It takes three hours to drive from Harrisburg to Philadelphia only if you try. The Keystone is faster than driving, but not that much faster.
It depends where you're going in Philly and what time you're going - and if you run into an accident on the turnpike. Variables. Three hours does seem a bit excessive, though I can imagine during the biggest rush hours to get from downtown Harrisburg to downtown Philadelphia it might take that long.
Even the bus (Greyhound) does it nonstop from downtown to downtown in two hours.....
We know how long it takes us to drive, but maybe Mr. Shuster goes during peak times, and actually goes no faster than the posted speed limits! :huh: Or maybe he needs a :blush: 'potty stop' :blush: on the way. Something one can do while going down the rails. Why doesn't one of the naysayers call his office and enquire about his personal habits? Afterall, "enquiring minds want to know!" :eek:hboy:

Its nice to know folks focus on the important part of this news item. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, on the other hand it's 7:45PM so past rush hour traffic but it's saying "in current traffic: 2hrs 10min" so it can take longer during the actual rush hour traffic time

I think "can take three hours" is probably a fair assessment. I'd note that there are times when it can take 12 hours to get from DC to Norfolk, but those are usually summer weekends in the direction of beach-related traffic blocking up I-95 and I-64 to no end. What "can" happen regularly isn't going to be the case during off-hours, but then again not everyone wants to schedule their travel late at night.

Met mike Alexander whose petition many of you signed, at the NARP Regional Meeting in Harrisburg last Saturday. A very nice gentleman. He chaired the meeting. He will be at the Harrisburg hearing possibly giving testimony.

BTW, apparently Amtrak and Indiana are still in discussions regarding Hoosier State, so there is still a possibility that some solution will be found for it, or so we were told.

In other news the report on #7 to Secaucus is being released today (4/10/13) and there should be reports coming out about it on New York Times among others over the next couple of days. The report is very positive, and positions #7 as an essential component should Block 780 be found to be too expensive or difficult/impossible to build for various other reasons. Even with block 780 being able ot get Times Square/GCT bound folks from NJ, who add up to almost half the people that arrive at Penn Station or more, to board an empty #7 at Secaucuse rather than already crowded 1/2/3/A/E/C at Penn Station would move things along much smoother and save some time too for those going to the GCT area, if good cross platorm transfer facilities are put in place in Secaucus.

Interesting times....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back