"The Points Guy" takes a Viewliner II sleeper.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this is the most positive review I have ever heard of a flex meal. Impressed? They should've seen traditional dining... 1620687802333.png

It's kind of interesting that the reviewer considers Flex meals to be the equivalent of International business class airline meals. I have no experience with international business class food, but my experience on an international flight taught me that Flex meals are far superior to what I was served in coach. Thus, I could believe that the Flex meals are the equivalent of what's served in international airline business class..

That sort of thing is typically very well disclosed.

It was disclosed in the first paragraph at the top of the article: "This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page. "

It's kind of interesting that the reviewer considers Flex meals to be the equivalent of International business class airline meals. I have no experience with international business class food, but my experience on an international flight taught me that Flex meals are far superior to what I was served in coach. Thus, I could believe that the Flex meals are the equivalent of what's served in international airline business class..
I think Flex Meals come close to being as good as run of the mill domestic first class airline meals, but there are exceptional better domestic first class meals than the Flex Meals around.

I don't know which international airlines the Points Guy flies, but in my experience the Business Class meals on even the US3 are far superior to anything that Amtrak serves these days. As a starter there is a difference between a 5 course meal and a 1.5 course meal, the former with within reason unlimited alcoholic beverages and different ones for the meal and the post meal.

I see that even Aeroflot serves better meals even in their international Premium Economy (which is not even business class) than Amtrak does to the highest paying passengers. Frankly, the Points Guy lost a huge amount of credibility at least in my eyes with that single statement, irrespective of whether he is on the uptake from Amtrak or not.

Last edited:
It was disclosed in the first paragraph at the top of the article: "This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page. "
That refers to the bevy of credit card advertisements that litter the page for which the site does receive compensation when people sign up. If Amtrak had provided the travel gratis, it would have been explicitly stated so.

I have no experience with international business class food, but my experience on an international flight taught me that Flex meals are far superior to what I was served in coach.
Some carriers treat coach passengers like trash-eating ballast.

UnitedAilrinesMeal.JPG

I could believe that the Flex meals are the equivalent of what's served in international airline business class..
The best airlines can serve some surprisingly good meals on intercontinental Business. I've have better steak meals on Japan Airlines than with traditional dining on Amtrak.

That refers to the bevy of credit card advertisements that litter the page for which the site does receive compensation when people sign up. If Amtrak had provided the travel gratis, it would have been explicitly stated so.
In addition to making money off of credit cards, the blog is a marketing tool for various brands.

Here is what they say: “Our experts at Bankrate, The Points Guy, and Reviews.com are industry-leading resources that help consumers stay informed and make better purchasing decisions.”
https://www.redventures.com/what-we-do.html
I don’t follow things closely enough to know the details, but I do know that there is a large community of people who claim that the blog does not make proper disclosures and that it is among the least trustworthy. That said, it’s quite possible that his thoughts in this article were genuine.

I do know that there is a large community of people who claim that the blog does not make proper disclosures and that it is among the least trustworthy.
[citation needed]

If you're going to claim bias, you're going to have to provide something more than "other people have opinions" while covering yourself with the fig leaf of "it's possible that his thoughts in this article were genuine".

People "just asking questions" are the worst.

[citation needed]

If you're going to claim bias, you're going to have to provide something more than "other people have opinions" while covering yourself with the fig leaf of "it's possible that his thoughts in this article were genuine".

People "just asking questions" are the worst.
You can start with the 106 page thread on Flyertalk. Google would have worked too. You can also dispense with your personal jab.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ext...cept-free-flights-merged-tpg-discussions.html

Thanks for your steadfast commitment to making bold claims with no attempt to back them up with any supporting data.
I know you like to be argumentative, but lets look at the actual claims that I made and the data that I presented.

Claim #1: In addition to making money off of credit cards, the blog is a marketing tool for various brands.
Evidence Given: Their parent company's own statement from their own website: Our experts at Bankrate, The Points Guy, and Reviews.com are industry-leading resources that help consumers stay informed and make better purchasing decisions. You can also add this from their website: We’re deeply integrated with some of the world’s biggest brands. And: Our marketing teams are constantly experimenting with creative strategies to unleash potential in paid search, paid social, SEO, e-mail, and new marketing channels.

Claim #2: There is a large community of people who claim that the blog does not make proper disclosures and that it is among the least trustworthy.
Evidence Given: A direct link to a 106 page discussion on Flyertalk (an extremely well respected travel forum) where scores and scores of people call into question the credibility of TPG.

Methinks the problem is that you attributed to me claims that I did not actually make.

Regardless, it sounds like they may have other issues: Inside the wild world of 'The Points Guy,' Brian Kelly: A massively profitable media empire and claims of non-stop partying, drugs and extravagant spending

Non paywall link: https://archive.is/K0W7H

Attachments

• ETFiRNcWkAAbaR_.jpg
    ETFiRNcWkAAbaR_.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The best airlines can serve some surprisingly good meals on intercontinental Business

That's my experience as well. For anyone to think that the Flex Meals are as good as international Business Class or even domestic First Class....well, I disagree.

Delta One's meal service is very good and can be excellent at times. Singapore Airlines' and Air New Zealand's meal service is excellent.

That's my experience as well. For anyone to think that the Flex Meals are as good as international Business Class or even domestic First Class....well, I disagree.

Delta One's meal service is very good and can be excellent at times. Singapore Airlines' and Air New Zealand's meal service is excellent.
As I said earlier, you really don't need to go all the to Singapore or Air New Zeland. The much maligned Aeroflots's international Premium Economy food is better

Last edited:
My kid too. I pull down the top bunk as soon as we enter our Viewliner roomette. I guess I am short enough that I can sit in the seats, while the top bunk is down.

For my kid, the top bunk makes for a private play area, with his very own window.

In a Viewliner roomette, most adults can sit up on a lower level seat when the upper bunk is down. Superliners have less headroom between lower seat and upper bunk.

The meals I have received on international economy (China Airlines) have been about the same as flex dining.

View attachment 22281
IMG_0306.JPG
International Economy dinner -- United Airlines, Beijing commissary. It was edible, if a bit high on the carbs. The "breakfast" they served -- some kind of omelet and sausage, was not.

IMG_0016.JPG
International economy dinner -- United Airlines, from Washington-Dulles commissary.

IMG_0018.JPG

Here's the "midnight snack" served over the Arctic Ocean. There was one, repeat one, very thin slice of turkey.

I just had the Salmon with Veggie and Rice Heat and Eat Dinner on Acela FC( along with a Good Cup of Dunkin Coffee spiced up with Baileys and Irish Whiskey( 😁) and it was Very Good, much better than the Flex Meals on my 2 LD Trips last Month, even though I liked the Cod Dinner on those trips.

Cant speak to the other Lunch/Dinner Offerings ( Short Ribs or a Snack Box)or Breakfast,since I rode 1PM-330PM ftom NYP-BWI.

Back