The saga continues: pdx-lax-nol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439058947.606392.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439058968.840072.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439058992.444426.jpg

Now all we need is Jesse James to ride up and rob the train.

We are currently stopped between benson and lordsburg because of freight traffic. This is our view.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439059080.048942.jpg
Nah, just take the SWC to ABQ and let the DEAs rob the train. :ph34r: :eek:

After about 30 minutes it came back on. Dinner was served on time. the dining car crew is professional. Had enjoyable dinner companions. The stop in El Paso was quick and we were on the move as dessert was served.

The sca is not that great. I think she is getting tired. She has the transition car too. She came by and asked if I needed help putting the bed down. I could tell she was hoping I would say no. I told her she could make it after Alpine. This is one of the things that amtrak controls. Hiring and selection of employees. Hiring someone who is overweight and unwilling to do the job is not acceptable imho.

After a very slow approach we are in alpine.

As some Conductors say @ the Sunset stops, if you miss the train, next one is in three days!!!

Alpine isn't a bad place to do a layover, I've been known to brag on it!

You'll get to see the scenery between SAS and HOS in daylight, mostly farming but at least it's not Desert!

Then it's swamps from Beaumont to the Mississippi! ( too bad you'll go over the Huey Long Bridge in the dark!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve - You're doing fine! Have you seen that the Southwest Chief due Flagstaff last evening broken down on Raton Pass for over 10 hours and isn't here yet? Sorry state of affairs.

2 arrived Houston at 12:20 with promises from the crew that we would leave asap. At 12:35 the long whistle blew calling the smokers. If we can get moving by 12:40 beignets in New Orleans are becoming a reality.

We are departing Beaumont 1 hour 7 late. We took the northern route between Houston and Beaumont that crossed the lake.

And as I type this we come to a stop and the conductor announces that we have a stop signal. With an hour and 40 minute padding we could still be early.

Yes. Slow running and back up move ate up the padding. Over the best train ride of the trip. The crew was good and the train ride was relaxing. The dining car conversations were some of my most enjoyable.

Called customer relations and after 25 minutes on hold, got an agent. He pulled up all of the information and told me I could get 1500. I said "I'm satisfied!" The certificate comes in 7-10 days. I may go again before school starts.

Called customer relations and after 25 minutes on hold, got an agent. He pulled up all of the information and told me I could get 1500. I said "I'm satisfied!" The certificate comes in 7-10 days. I may go again before school starts.
Outstanding Steve! If you can't use it I know this poor retired old guy in Texas that could use a LD Trip to get out of this blowtorch heat!

How's New Orleans? Steamy I would think!

New Orleans was steamy. I used uber to get from the station to the hotel, to cafe dumonde and back, and back to the station.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439305273.552183.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439305288.101617.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439305302.172915.jpg

The ride back to Chicago on the city of New Orleans was on time and uneventful. The AC did not work so well in my room, but overall the trip was good.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439305320.300593.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439305335.991083.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439305352.241023.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1439305361.920537.jpg

The dining car menu on this leg was not impressive. I stayed away from the strange stuff and had macaroni and cheese. I was forewarned about breakfast. I missed my French toast. The crew was on the ball and did their best.

I'm home know and have set up the TiVo to record hard knocks training camp. I'm looking forward to the big fight that happened in practice earlier this week.

I'm already plotting how to spend that voucher.

Thanks for sharing your trip! My Amtrak fever is coming back, I'm ready for Oct and the Gathering!!!!

Glad you made it home,it is a shame that the Bean Counters have reduced the City of New Orleans to a glorified Greyhound ride with Greasy Spoon food! ( remember the Post House Cafes back in the day?)

Once upon a time the Panama Ltd. ran from CHI-NOL and the Kings Dinner was even better than the Diner on the Super Chief or any of the other crack trains!

I know you don't need any help planning the voucher trip(s) but have you considered going East, maybe the LSL to NYP, the Adirondack to Ft. Kent, Ferry across the Lake to Burlington and the Vermonter back to NYP, then maybe the Cardinal back to CHI?

You could also do the Adirondack to Montreal, VIA to Toronto and to Windsor,( PAID) then the Wolverine to CHI from Detroit or the Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls, Buffalo and the LSL back to CHI town!( you probably have already!)

So many choices, so little time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back