The Silver Palm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami Joe said:
#98 has 3 V/L's and #92 has 2 V/L's.
Ok, so that returns 4 Viewliners to the pool. Even then that only leaves 6 V/L's for the reserve pool, which isn't much of a reserve for cars that are expected to run 365 days every year.

Also remember that I felt I was being conservative on how many cars could be bad ordered or in for heavy overhaul's and maintanace. Also I have no real reports on how many, if any, V/L's are sitting in Beach Grove.

There are usually 2 or 3 V/L's here every week going through a 180 day PM. Add another 1 for maintenance or wheel change and thats only at Hialeah.

Miami Joe said:
There are usually 2 or 3 V/L's here every week going through a 180 day PM. Add another 1 for maintenance or wheel change and thats only at Hialeah.
Well that takes 3 or 4 of those extra's right back out of the pool again.

The bottom line here, which I was trying to show for Late Shore, is that 50 V/L's really isn't enough for the amount of routes and territory that Amtrak has to cover. While I don't think that we need another 50, unless we add more routes, another 25 V/L's would come in real handy. This is especially true during the peak summer months when many of the trains probably could sell out 3 sleepers if they had them.

I bet Amtrak could get more revenue on the Lake Shore by adding another sleeper to Boston and New York section, however that means anotehr diner would most likely be needed. I also think the Three Rivers could use another sleeper and the Palm could get its sleeper back. In other words WE NEED THOSE SLEEPERS!!!

Amfleet said:
I bet Amtrak could get more revenue on the Lake Shore by adding another sleeper to Boston and New York section, however that means anotehr diner would most likely be needed. I also think the Three Rivers could use another sleeper and the Palm could get its sleeper back. In other words WE NEED THOSE SLEEPERS!!!
I agree, but we also need those dining cars!

Amfleet said:
I bet Amtrak could get more revenue on the Lake Shore by adding another sleeper to Boston and New York section, however that means anotehr diner would most likely be needed.
Maybe during the summer and holidays that might be true. However I'm not so sure that it would sell out during the rest of the year. When I took my round robin trip NYP-BOS-ALB-NYP last April on a Sunday, the sleeper was not even half full on the BOS to ALB leg. It may have filled up after that, but out of Boston a second sleeper would have run empty on that day.

In all of your calculations for Viewliner assignments you seem to have forgotten the Crescent. Trains 19 and 20 usually field 2 sleepers each between NYP-NOL on a daily basis.

Did you include my sleeper (Viewliner 62091 "Eastern View") in you equation? Remember, it can and has "run for the money"

cbaker said:
In all of your calculations for Viewliner assignments you seem to have forgotten the Crescent.  Trains 19 and 20 usually field 2 sleepers each between NYP-NOL on a daily basis.
CBaker,

Amfleet in the post on page 4 has quoted the lines where I added in the Crescent in my total. However, just in case, let me politely direct your attention to the very bottom of the list under the title “Trains that turn every two days.” I included the Crescent in this group, since this route requires four consists due to the length of the route. :lol:

Viewliner said:
Did you include my sleeper (Viewliner 62091 "Eastern View") in you equation? Remember, it can and has "run for the money"
No Viewliner, I left that one out since it's only run once in revenue service during the last few years. As you know it mainly seems to have become a crew dorm. :( However, the fact that it did just recently run in revenue service only helps to underscore the fact that there are not enough V/L's to go around. :lol:

Just a tidbit to think about.

V/L 62033 has been sitting in Hialeah for the last 2 months!! One of the HVAC's wiring is burnt up, from the unit outside to the controls upstairs. Seems the vendor for the cannon plugs(connectors) went out of business. The connector uses coaxial cable and no one builds one like it. That means they will have to use different connectors and rewire the whole unit!! :(

I also have 62027 sitting for the last three days for A/C problems. It won't get worked until tommorrow, and no gaurantee it will be fixed on the same day.

We also have two V/L's in PM, and that's a 3 day process.

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back