The Southern Crescent 1978- What it was like. Onboard Video

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they have to wye the coaches? Couldn't they turn the seats as they clean them?

The route via Montgomery and Mobile will be at least 2 hours slower than the current route, absent a large investment in track improvements. Even in the 1950s the Birmingham route was faster, but Atlanta-Montgomery has been a 50-mph railroad for decades now (and the passenger main in Montgomery was torn out). If the timings are kept the same at NYP, the train would have a very unattractive departure time northbound from New Orleans. Keep the same time out of New Orleans, and the train gets caught in rush hour at NYP. Also, a late arrival into New Orleans could mean a late departure the next morning.

Populations along the routes are roughly the same. Mobile, which has the largest population along the route you proposed, lost its station in Katrina.
What about sliding the train to arrive late enough into NYP to avoid rush hour? Assuming you shoot for a 1900 arrival at NYP, you'd have a daylight run from CLT (0658) to NYP (1900). Your time at Atlanta would stink, true, but everything else would be good...and if you back everything up an hour from there, Atlanta becomes lousy-but-feasible (while CLT becomes a bit more obnoxious).

Edit: Such a train would probably be slam full north of CLT (and particularly from LYH/CVS northwards). The southern end would, as usual, be a bit problematic...but you could probably justify cutting cars at CLT given the passenger loads which seem to materialize on the north end of that route.
So, you would screw around with Atlanta, probably the biggest source of revenue, to what, increase short-haul ridership?
I am, frankly, presuming that any service to Mobile/Montgomery would be a second train. If you split the train somewhere along the line, then the bad hours at NOL for the split section would simply have to do...but you'd be ignoring some relatively small markets in the process.

OK - let's get one thing straight here. Yes, south of Atlanta has lower ridership than north of Atlanta. But, Birmingham to New Orleans is the number one city pair for ridership on the Crescent. Many days, there are few people between Atlanta and Birmingham, but it gets to Birmingham, the train fills up including the sleepers. There are many days in peek travel (ie summer) that the sleepers are completely sold out on the south end. If you use the same logic for cutting off cars, then Amtrak should cut off cars northbound at Washington and add them back southbound.

One of the things that hurt the Crescent in past times was when cars were cut in Atlanta southbound. Either the Diner or Lounge was cut actually leaving either a 8 or 9 car train... oh wait, that is what we have now!

So, from a ridership standpoint, the current route is definately the best. Routing through Montgomery will take a lot of capitol money, which we all know doesn't exist outside the corridor. And, remember how the Sunset eastbound would leave New Orleans and promptly sit on CSX for about 2 hours before being routed at restricted speed though the yard in New Orleans!

I am for a train routed through Mobile and Montgomery, but not by sacrificing the current service. Maybe a new route to Louisville and Cincinnati.

My main point is don't believe the stories that NO ONE rides the train south of Atlanta. They are told by those who don't know what they are talking about!

Bob

What would make the most sense is a separate train Mobile-Montgomery-Birmingham-Huntsville, perhaps with a New Orleans extension. But the Alabama state gov't will never do it.

You are probably right on the never fund it. But, they are - again - studying a train from Birmingham to Montgomery and maybe Mobile. Needs to go all the way to Mobile and not just stop in Montgomery. They did a study when the Gulf Breeze on running a train from Birmingham to Huntsville. There are a lot of people from that area that ride the Crescent but there are a lot of people from Nashville area that rides the Crescent.

We all know that in the South it is hard enough to get a single state to fund a train much less 2 or 3 to work together to fund one. So, don't look for anything like a Birmingham to Nashville train in the near future.

One more thing to think about here. If the Crescent was cut to a Washington south train and ended in Atlanta... it would come under the 750 mile rule and have to be funded by the states... That would end the train. You might get Virginia and North Carolina to fund it but not South Carolina and never Georgia!

Someone in an earlier Post had asked if any ex-Southern Diners were still in Amtrak service. Heritage Diners 8521, 8524 and 8558 are ex-Southern Stock.

One more thing to think about here. If the Crescent was cut to a Washington south train and ended in Atlanta... it would come under the 750 mile rule and have to be funded by the states... That would end the train. You might get Virginia and North Carolina to fund it but not South Carolina and never Georgia!
I don't think Virginia and North Carolina would lift a finger. NC already has a Charlotte-NY day train, and not many North Carolinians ride the Crescent because it calls in the middle of the night in both directions. Virginia has a Lynchburg-NY train that runs on a schedule very similar to the Crescent. The only city in either state that would lose all service if the Crescent dies is Danville, Va.

If there's one thing I'm most heartbroken about never getting to experience it's going to be riding a train during the luxury age. Maybe someday I'll buy a ticket in a private car set up, but it wont be the same.

I also really want to ride the current Crescent. I was supposed to, but Amtrak cancelled weekday service in January :( . I go to New Orleans a lot though, so it'll happen sometime.

The route via Montgomery and Mobile will be at least 2 hours slower than the current route, absent a large investment in track improvements.
I actually bothered to go through the mileage on a railroad map, and it seemed that the route via Montgomery was 30 miles shorter. That means, way less twisty. In an ideal world with a nationalized rail system, this would be upgraded and become a passenger main. But of course we don't live in that world.
Or, perhaps, the Birmingham-Atlanta route would be replaced with a new build route -- it seems that this is the slow part, not Birmingham-New Orleans. But that seems even less likely in this age of NIMBYs. Anyway, it was just "alternate universe" speculation.

Yes, the problem with the current route of the Crescent is Birmingham-Atlanta, traversing the Appalachian foothills. Between Birmingham and New Orleans, the route is mostly flat and straight. The irony is that CSX abandoned a Birmingham-Atlanta route (ex-Seaboard Air Line) that was far better engineered and constructed than the nee-Georgia Pacific route used by the Crescent. I know of a situation in the mid-1970s when the Southern Crescent had to detour over SCL Atlanta-Birmingham and arrived early. (Seaboard had used the same stations in the two cities as Southern.) Sadly, much of the CSX route is now a trail.

Making Atlanta-Montgomery a 79 mph railroad (peak speed) for passenger trains isn't rocket science, but I'd guess it would be a $150M project and you'd still have curves limiting the train to 3½ hours best-case. Getting the next 45 minutes out of the schedule would probably be an additional $150M for earth-moving.

Yes, the problem with the current route of the Crescent is Birmingham-Atlanta, traversing the Appalachian foothills. Between Birmingham and New Orleans, the route is mostly flat and straight. The irony is that CSX abandoned a Birmingham-Atlanta route (ex-Seaboard Air Line) that was far better engineered and constructed than the nee-Georgia Pacific route used by the Crescent. I know of a situation in the mid-1970s when the Southern Crescent had to detour over SCL Atlanta-Birmingham and arrived early. (Seaboard had used the same stations in the two cities as Southern.) Sadly, much of the CSX route is now a trail.

Making Atlanta-Montgomery a 79 mph railroad (peak speed) for passenger trains isn't rocket science, but I'd guess it would be a $150M project and you'd still have curves limiting the train to 3½ hours best-case. Getting the next 45 minutes out of the schedule would probably be an additional $150M for earth-moving.
The route of the old SCL Silver Comet....New York-Richmond-Hamlet-Atlanta-Birmingham...ex SAL from Richmond to Birmingham....

You are probably right on the never fund it. But, they are - again - studying a train from Birmingham to Montgomery and maybe Mobile. Needs to go all the way to Mobile and not just stop in Montgomery. They did a study when the Gulf Breeze on running a train from Birmingham to Huntsville. There are a lot of people from that area that ride the Crescent but there are a lot of people from Nashville area that rides the Crescent.

We all know that in the South it is hard enough to get a single state to fund a train much less 2 or 3 to work together to fund one. So, don't look for anything like a Birmingham to Nashville train in the near future.

What is it about the South that causes such aversion to rail?

What is it about the South that causes such aversion to rail?
It's a general aversion to funding public goods of any sort, and the history of this dates all the way back to slavery / plantation days, but largely to the immediate post-Civil-War period.

After the slaves were freed, public goods (parks, museums, schools, roads, railroads, etc.) competed with the power of the private plantation owners, who wanted to make sure everyone was dependent on their personal largesse. Even before that, the plantation owners wanted to make sure that non-plantation-owning whites were dependent on them. It's basically the same dynamic where corporate executives try to prevent the government from providing basic services, so that the corporation can instead have a private monopoly, the dynamic where corporations try to get control of the municipal water supply, the electricity supply, etc. The plantation owners were absurdly rich and powerful before the slaves were freed, and still very rich and powerful after the slaves were freed -- the big corporate execs of their day. They deliberately spread propaganda opposing government services and promoting "private" services (provided by them, the plantation owners), and it was very successful propaganda.

I'm not entirely sure why the cultural hostility to public goods has continued for so long, long after the death of the original plantation owners and the decline of the plantation economy, but that's where it originated. The anti-union fanaticism common in the South comes from the same source (and should be distinguished from hostility to unions in the North where unions actually existed).

Excellent description of the way the working class and poor whites in the South have been manipulated and lied to by the politicians and their masters ( the rich) since the end of Reconstruction!

This was and IS basically done by playing to ignorant whites racial fears and by making " Yankees" and " "outsiders" boogey men ( carpetbaggers/union goons) that want to cheat them out of their make believe heritage! ( see " Gone with the Wind!")

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many reasons why southern states have historically not supported governmental intervention in rail. The societal factors mentioned above are part of it. Others: the governments of the southern states were decidedly pro-rural and anti-urban. Even Atlanta had a fight on its hands in that respect. The anti-urban orientation began to change when the U.S. Supreme Court enforced "one man, one vote" but the legacy persists. As recently as 1989, North Carolina allocated highway money under a formula that disadvantaged the largest cities. Also, most of the southern states are poor and they simply don't have a lot of money to throw around. The genius of Eisenhower's interstate highway program was 90% federal funding.

Note that North Carolina and Virginia are exceptions and do support passenger rail. As populations have shifted, those two states are realigning from deep south to mid-atlantic. Florida, for the most part, shed its deep-south roots decades ago.

In Florida, you can see on a county by county basis which ones still maintain their southern heritage, and which ones have moved on. Their attitude towards rail as a component of the transportation mix is very revealing in this respect.

In general, i seems that the northern counties have kept more of their southern heritage than the southern counties, which tend to be much more cosmopolitan and have moved on.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about sliding the train to arrive late enough into NYP to avoid rush hour? Assuming you shoot for a 1900 arrival at NYP, you'd have a daylight run from CLT (0658) to NYP (1900). Your time at Atlanta would stink, true, but everything else would be good...and if you back everything up an hour from there, Atlanta becomes lousy-but-feasible (while CLT becomes a bit more obnoxious).
I might be biased, having in-laws in Atlanta an all, but Atlanta's hours are perfect where they are, and I've never been in the station when it wasn't jam-packed with people getting on and off of the train there. I wouldn't think that messing with that would have a good outcome.

I might be biased, having in-laws in Atlanta an all, but Atlanta's hours are perfect where they are, and I've never been in the station when it wasn't jam-packed with people getting on and off of the train there. I wouldn't think that messing with that would have a good outcome.
Agreed. It's been full every time I've been there too.

Atlanta really needs a bigger station, honestly. Watch for that in a few centuries. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back