The stupid little things that I worry about.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train 5(3) should depart Chicago as scheduled at 2:00pm. There should be enough time from a late running 6 to turn and service the cars with a 2- 3 hour delay to make the 2:00 pm departure. Keep checking train status and you can see where and when the train will lose time.

I've been noticing a little bit; it seems like some sets are losing time in the McCook/Fort Morgan/Denver area, and last night the 5 lost almost an hour between Omaha and Lincoln! The only thing I can think of there is severe weather in the area.

Cina, have a wonderful trip! I'm a bit jealous because the CZ is my dream train ride. Haven't been able to make it work yet.

Each year of teaching will help, but isn't a total cure. I'm a retired teacher, and rude people still bother me. I just don't "get" the need to be rude. Have only had that happen once on Amtrak, but I've only taken the Crescent (many times) and a regional twice. If they are too-too rude, call Customer Relations and nicely explain the situation so that hopefully future passengers won't have to deal with the same. There is really no excuse for extreme rudeness to a customer. Hopefully you'll have the same experience that I've had on Amtrak, though.

Even if you don't get your coveted window seat the whole way, coach has great views especially if you aren't too far toward the front of the car. Happy travels!

Okay, I'm bumping this thread because TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT. I am supposed to board the CZ at 12:15am tonight. I've been watching the CZ's on the status map obsessively for the last three days to ensure their on-timeliness because, as Tina Fey said, "It's a burden, being able to control situations with my hyper-vigilance, but it's my lot in life."

It looks like the 6(31) is running a little over 2 hours late. I'm new to this whole train business, but as far as I understand, the 6(31) is going to get to Chicago, get turned, and head on back down as the 5(2). Am I correct on this?

That being the case (it is the case, right?) will the 5(2) likely be 2 hours late leaving Chicago?

I know, I know, the future is unpredictable. A meteor could strike Chicago. Vlad Putin could send his great red army to plant mines along the tracks. But as a break from triple- and quadruple- checking that everything is packed, I thought I'd see what insight the AUers had on this. Anyone know if there's a specific reason the pretty green or yellow numbers on the status maps have decided to go red?
6(31), assuming you are following the convention of the (31) being the date it left its origination point of Emeryville, CA, will arrive Chicago on June 2nd and be turned to become the NEXT day's 5, 5(3). 6 to 5 is an overnight turn.

Inbound train lateness generally has more impact on the other end, where the trains do a same day (Southwest Chief, Empire Builder), short overnight (California Zephyr) turn at their western terminals.

6(30) will be turned to become 5(2).

Allowing for the vagaries of the Chicago coach yard, unless a train is severely (Empire Builder 8 hour late style) late, the overnight turn allows them to get the next day's train out one time with "normal" lateness in the 2 hour range.

However, for some reason I will not speculate on, Chicago seems to have a problem getting the trains out of the coach yard pretty often, even when they have their full time to turn or close to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH! You're right. And I see a happy little #5 just appeared on the status map at Chicago, set to depart at 2:36. I didn't know they overnighted before setting back out. Awesome! Now I can obsessively track THAT train's every move! :lol:

And Crescent, thanks for the well wishes! I agree with you about rude people. Whenever I see an adult being rude I want to give them a time-out.

One less thing to worry about as part of trip anxiety! LOL

IINM you're getting on #5 in Lincoln @ O-Dark-Thirty and considering the scenery or lack thereof(LOL) between there and Denver its good to be able to sleep and wakeup as you approach Denver, have breakfast and get ready for a wonderful experience climbing the front range of the Rockies and along the Colorado River through the Canyons and Mountains!

Be sure and wave to the Mooners along the River and keep us Posted, its a great trip and were envious!

I'll definitely post an overly-wordy and Pulitzer-prize-winning trip report :p

It is 1:55 am, I am in my right-side window seat, all is right with the world!

I do not! I'm currently in the SSL snapping pictures of Winterpark with my newfound ex-hippie- turned-photographer friend :)

Anyone know which side of the train Ruby Canyon is best viewed from?

Edit: nevermind, it became obvious :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back