Things at Union Station Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done the Blue line to O'Hare more than once and never had a problem. Granted I wasn't riding it at 3:00 AM, but I have been on it as late at 11:00 PM. Frankly I'd be more concerned about the walk from Clinton to Union Station after 9:00 PM than I would be on the train.

I've done the Blue line to O'Hare more than once and never had a problem. Granted I wasn't riding it at 3:00 AM, but I have been on it as late at 11:00 PM. Frankly I'd be more concerned about the walk from Clinton to Union Station after 9:00 PM than I would be on the train.
I've done the Blue Line at 2-3:00 AM five or six times, and I've always been fine. Of course, I did have to see (and smell) a homeless man pee in an empty McDonald's cup on the Logan Square platform. The train itself, though, is generally quite safe, as someone already mentioned.

Don't ride the Red Line north of Addison (unless you're going to Howard to transfer to the Purple or Yellow);Don't ride the Red Line south of Cermak-Chinatown (unless you're going to 35th specifically to see Comiskey, or to 95th to get shot by GDs);

Don't ride the Green Line west of Clinton;

Don't ride the Green Line south of Roosevelt (unless you're looking for cocaine);

Don't ride the Pink Line west of Polk;

If you don't want to worry at all about safety or theft, ride the Brown or Orange Lines.
What are you basing these boundaries on? Safety? Time to make a round-trip from/to Union Station area?

I want to take the Blue Line at least once for the views, if there really are any. I will only have one bag. Thanks!
Take the blue line! It's extremely safe. Crowded with people at all hours. You should have NO worries. Just use common sense as anyone would on ANY public transit anywhere in the world. And save yourself a TON of money!!!!

Statistically, you're in greater danger driving than riding anywhere on any el line in Chicago. I'm ridden the el literally thousands of times, and I've never witnessed a mugging, never witnessed anyone vomit. I don't have any idea what the guy above is talking about. I flat out don't believe him.

Statistically, you're in greater danger driving than riding anywhere on any el line in Chicago. I'm ridden the el literally thousands of times, and I've never witnessed a mugging, never witnessed anyone vomit. I don't have any idea what the guy above is talking about. I flat out don't believe him.
That's absolutely fine. One of the great things about mankind is that we can make our own choices about what to believe. I will, however, attempt to explain myself.

The first post ("don't go to 95th unless you want to be shanked," etc.) was an absolute exaggeration. The second, not at all. I've seen people vomit on the Red Line quite a few times, though most were s***faced Cubs fans. Twice I've seen people vomit during owl hours, one occurring between Sheridan and Wilson, and the other between 79th and 87th. Muggings certainly do occur on 'L' platforms, though not alarmingly frequently. To anyone who lives in Chicago and uses transit, it's obvious that the 'L' isn't really dangerous if one is alert when necessary. The first post was a failed attempt at humorous exaggeration. Like I said before, my bad.

Sorry for getting moderately off-topic. Anyway, if one has time in Chicago and is unfamiliar with the city, he or she should definitely check out the 'L' if at all possible. Even if said person isn't a rail buff or foamer, the 'L' is a pretty unique system of unquestionable historic value, and it does offer a nice perspective of the city one generally won't get otherwise.

Edit: added a short sentence and line break where necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if you have any time at all and your a train buff... I would highly reccomend a trip on the "El" for its historic value, plus the great views of the city. The el is unlike any other system I've seen, and it is very much worth a ride! If your just riding the train, you can ride out to a transfer station and back for 1 price (transfer stations being any station that does not require you to exit the turnstiles to reach the Inbound Platform).
Great idea. Boundaries:

Don't ride the Red Line north of Addison (unless you're going to Howard to transfer to the Purple or Yellow);

Don't ride the Red Line south of Cermak-Chinatown (unless you're going to 35th specifically to see Comiskey, or to 95th to get shot by GDs);

Don't ride the Green Line west of Clinton;

Don't ride the Green Line south of Roosevelt (unless you're looking for cocaine);

Don't ride the Pink Line west of Polk;

If you don't want to worry at all about safety or theft, ride the Brown or Orange Lines.

Ive been visiting Chicago since I was quite young, and Ive never had a problem with any of those area's. You have to take the green line to Garfield to get to the Museum of Science and Industry, I have to take the red line all the way to Howard to get to my grandmothers (she lives near the Main station). Only been west of Clinton once going to 54th/Cermak terminal, but that was pink line.

Ive been visiting Chicago since I was quite young, and Ive never had a problem with any of those area's. You have to take the green line to Garfield to get to the Museum of Science and Industry, I have to take the red line all the way to Howard to get to my grandmothers (she lives near the Main station). Only been west of Clinton once going to 54th/Cermak terminal, but that was pink line.
All valid. As I've explained before, certain aspects were grossly exaggerated.

In terms of getting to the Museum, I've found the 6 to be quicker than the Green Line/55 combination.

For an easy "L" adventure, ride the Brown Line to the end of the line and back. First-time riders will enjoy this line, as it's elevated downtown, zigs and zags up alleys as it heads north, then drops down to street level at the end.

The "L" is generally safe, but like with any public transportation system, you may encounter some random aggressive panhandling and such. Your biggest inconvenience is likely to be rowdy fans during the two hours after a Chicago Cubs game. The Red Line, Brown Line, Blue Line and Metra Union Pacific Northwest Line are obliged to deal with these folks, many of whom will be drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back