Things to take with you

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

dogbert617

OBS Chief
On my last Amtrak trip(Capitol Limited from Chicago to Pittsburgh and back), I'm really glad I brought an inflatable pillow(that you blow up on your own) on that trip. It made it a lot easier to sleep for myself, since I don't sleep easily on Amtrak trains in coach per my experiences over the years. I still hadn't tried a sleeper(which I'll save potentially doing for those much longer Amtrak trips), but maybe I will one of these days.

Rail_Gurlz

Train Attendant
We brought a power strip after seeing it mentioned here. It’s been very handy.

Also brought windex wipes though our windows were pretty clean.

JRR

OBS Chief

We also carry an extension cord which allows us to “snake” the cord around the roomette so that the power strip lies between the table and window of the roomette. The gaffer tape helps keep it all in place.

Rail Freak

Conductor
I just noticed, I'm the original poster here. It's been ten years now that I've been associated with this group!!! Do ya think that's Good or Bad???
I must say that I really enjoy it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew H Fish

Train Attendant
I can't believe that nobody mentioned to bring some drugs with you!

Okay, calm down if you misinterpreted that :)

I always bring a little kit with some ibuprofen, dextromethorphan, and loporamide. (Advil, Robitussin and Immodium AD as the brand names). I don't want to get a bad headache, a coughing fit, or diarrhea on a long train trip.

Without getting into too many details, Loporamide/Immodium also makes it easier to hold defecation in, even if you don't have diarrhea. When I would rather not use the train bathrooms, I can take some and uh, it makes it easier to wait for my next real bathroom.

I've compiled this list from various threads on this board:

1. A small flashlight – for use at night or to see stuff dropped under seats

2. 3 or 4 large pins like the diaper pins or safety pins (this is to keep the curtains closed at night)

3. Some small snack packs for nibbling

4. A roll of transparent tape

5. A very small sewing kit and

6. A few Band-Aids

7. A few rubber bands

8. Moist towelettes.

9. Take along 12" or so of duct tape, wrapped around a ballpoint pen. Use the tape to silence any squeaky panels or fixtures inside your roomette. Bring even more, and some heavy folder-type paper, to cover excessive vents.

10. Wire - 16 or 18 gauge, to hold door shut

11. 3-prong extension cord

12. Instead of pjs, take lightweight knit pants and a t shirt to sleep in. Then if you get up during the night to use the bathroom you are for all purposes dressed.

13. A small bottle of water as there have been times in the past when they run out.

14. A route guide - that makes the trip more interesting.

This sounds like a lot of stuff, but it could easily fit into a quart or gallon-size bag.
This list hasn't gotten any less actual, worth a repost :)

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Funny you mention windex wipes. Though honestly for me, it's too often the outside of windows on long distance Amtrak trains that were dirtier than I was hoping(sometimes making it a little tougher to pull off doing a photo of some scenery I'm passing by), vs. the inside of windows being an issue.

I've compiled this list from various threads on this board:

1. A small flashlight – for use at night or to see stuff dropped under seats

2. 3 or 4 large pins like the diaper pins or safety pins (this is to keep the curtains closed at night)

3. Some small snack packs for nibbling

4. A roll of transparent tape

5. A very small sewing kit and

6. A few Band-Aids

7. A few rubber bands

8. Moist towelettes.

9. Take along 12" or so of duct tape, wrapped around a ballpoint pen. Use the tape to silence any squeaky panels or fixtures inside your roomette. Bring even more, and some heavy folder-type paper, to cover excessive vents.

10. Wire - 16 or 18 gauge, to hold door shut

11. 3-prong extension cord

12. Instead of pjs, take lightweight knit pants and a t shirt to sleep in. Then if you get up during the night to use the bathroom you are for all purposes dressed.

13. A small bottle of water as there have been times in the past when they run out.

14. A route guide - that makes the trip more interesting.

This sounds like a lot of stuff, but it could easily fit into a quart or gallon-size bag.
Looking back at this post from years ago, I always do a google search for those old 2000s/early 2010s Amtrak route guides for each of their long distance trains they used to publish, before those were discontinued during the(I suspect) Joe Boardman era, as likely a weird cost cutting measure. :( Found one for Empire Builder just before my trip a week ago, and I was so glad I found that so I could read info about those towns and cities the EB was passing through. Even info for places, the EB doesn't stop at and just passes through.

Never thought about bringing something like a safety pin on trips, but now I think I may try that in the future, in case I'm trying to close a curtain and can't do so all the way. That's a good idea to bring along, for future Amtrak trips.

Last edited:
Group Builder