Things to take with you

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

JeanA

Train Attendant
It's all personal preference, but I carry a lightweight portable radio that covers AM/FM/shortwave bands, a small active receiving loop antenna with a suction cup for the roomette window and a set of headphones. It's nice to tune around local stations and at night pick up the world bands. Bungee cords are nice for securement of all types of gear.

:rolleyes:
Care to share your radio brand/model? I'm looking for a small one, too...

caravanman

Engineer
The Radio Ham post was from 13 years ago, but I expect others may have suggestions. I took a small sony radio with shortwave on my 1983 travels to India, but that model is no longer made.
Do beware of cheap multiband radios, you get what you pay for...

JeanA

Train Attendant
The Radio Ham post was from 13 years ago, but I expect others may have suggestions. I took a small sony radio with shortwave on my 1983 travels to India, but that model is no longer made.
Do beware of cheap multiband radios, you get what you pay for...
I just realized that! I always click on 'What's new' above and rarely look at the date :rolleyes:

Maglev

Conductor
My sister will be joining me for her first overnight train trip in many years, and I have composed a list of things for her to bring that she might not think of otherwise. I will be bringing a "tool kit" of gaffer's tape, cardboard for covering the vent if necessary, multi tool, shims, clothes pins, and power strip (with a 10' cord since we're in the Family Bedroom).

Things I'll suggest that she bring:
  • clothes for sleeping in case the room is either hot or cold, and also that she would feel comfortable wearing down the hall to the bathroom (including slippers)
  • any special snacks
  • shampoo and soap
  • pillow and blanket (depending on how picky she is and if she wants the extra baggage)
  • travel coffee mug
  • flashlight
  • eye mask and ear plugs (in case we get stuck in coach or on a bus)
Any other suggestions?

Maglev

Conductor
I sent the list above off to my sister. Apparently. Amtrak is finally updating the pillows and blankets, so those items may not be so important to bring. But I added to bring along small bills for tips (and a $20 for each of our sleeper attendants, whom I hope will be worthy...).

Reactions: Cal