Things to take with you

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think the duct-tape is silly. I think the clanking of big masses and the chattering of things is part of the experience. I'd no sooner give that up than the horn.
A couple of years ago my wife and I were on the Zephyr and the air register in the ceiling of the bedroom was blowing a hurricane of ice cold air. It could not be stopped. Some duct tape and a file folder made the room livable.
The inverter of duct tape should get the Nobel Prize.
Has anyone ever actually seen duck tape used on a live duck? :unsure: :rolleyes:

BTW, I know that I used the term "duck" instead of duct. That is not incorrect. Read the interesting history on duct tape at http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/ducttape.htm.
or just watch The Red Green Show...

Has anyone ever actually seen duck tape used on a live duck? :unsure: :rolleyes:
BTW, I know that I used the term "duck" instead of duct. That is not incorrect. Read the interesting history on duct tape at http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/ducttape.htm.
Found one! He must have said "AFLAK" one too many times! :lol:

DuctTapeDuck2.jpg

I personally think the duct-tape is silly. I think the clanking of big masses and the chattering of things is part of the experience. I'd no sooner give that up than the horn.
A couple of years ago my wife and I were on the Zephyr and the air register in the ceiling of the bedroom was blowing a hurricane of ice cold air. It could not be stopped. Some duct tape and a file folder made the room livable.
The inverter of duct tape should get the Nobel Prize.

or just watch The Red Green Show...
I never heard of the Red Green Show until I looked up one of their videos on YouTube. FUNNY! Here's the link to YouTube Videos!

Last edited by a moderator:
To add my two bits.

1 - A couple of large garbage bags. Fold them up and keep them in your suitcase in case you need to walk in the rain.

2 - Atomic alarm clock, fairly cheap $10 or less for the cheapest.

3 - Clothes pin with a plastic hanger hook. Bought at a local grcery store.

Like this Atomic Alarm Clock? I prefer a non-battery wind-up.

I have one, well two, that I got as a pair for under $20 from a offer about 1+ year ago on woot.com . Dang thing keeps excellent time, even out of direct line of sight to the sky(read room in basement), and the single batteries life is excellent, about 8+ months now.

Like this Atomic Alarm Clock? I prefer a non-battery wind-up.

I have one, well two, that I got as a pair for under $20 from a offer about 1+ year ago on woot.com . Dang thing keeps excellent time, even out of direct line of sight to the sky(read room in basement), and the single batteries life is excellent, about 8+ months now.
Hah, I just discovered woot.com a couple of days ago.

I don't think it needs to see the sky, it checks time by radio. My home alarm clock does anyway.

I saw this on tv-thought it might be a good idea to take along!Perfect for those who like softer sheets.
But does it cause a conflict if you also use a Slanket?
Ha! Reminds me of the "snuggie" that has been advertised so much lately! :lol:

I would much prefer a flannel sheets-even in summer they are soft & not too hot. :)

I think it would solve the hot/cold issues sometimes experienced on the train. :)

I read somewhere to take with you things like Windex,flash light,String/cord, pillows and other things for different reasons. Is this true? It seems I'd have to check my luggage to carry all that on board! <_<
Lets see:

Windex for cleaning inside the windows or for soaking a sore elbow (Watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding and you will get the elbow bit)

Flashlight to help you find the tiny little light switch at night.

String/cord for tying back the curtains if the velcro wont stick

pillows Amtrak pillows are fine but if you want more fluff bring your own.

I would add:

Duct tape for making sure the curtains on the door remain closed

Toilet paper since Amtrak issue TP is slick as the Sears catalogue

How do you find the frequencies for a route? Amtrak time tables don't have them and I wouldn't dare do it on a NEC train (take way too short of a trip for it to be worth it). I can't seem to find an online resource for them (unless I am looking at the wrong places). Thinking about taking one with me on the fla trip.

I got this in an email this morning, and thought it might make a good product to take along on train trips.

I'm in no way connected to the company and get nothing from them.

(I used to work hospice and home health)

No Rinse Bathing Wipes

DXFvY.jpg

I read this tip somewhere, for general hotel travel. I think we might try it for the train:

Get one of those hang up pocket things (that are supposed to hold shoes and or accessories). Hang it up in your room/cabin and use it to hold anything. I am thinking cell phone, hairbrush, keys, hairdryer, book, gum, etc.

I found a short one at the dollar store and am looking forward to trying it out!

a...coke..fix..... right... clearly meant the pop here i hope :p :D ^_^

YEAH, I could wrap one end around someting on the train, unwinding it and wrapping the other end around my waist while in the short stop stations, getting a coke.
Speaking of coke, I hope that you like Pepsi, because Amtrak has an exclusive contract with Pepsi. You won't find any Coke products on board, unless you've brought them with you.
That's why you have get off at the short stops - to get your fix! :lol: :lol:

rrdude requested I post it here, so here it is:

If traveling in coach, pack a small jar of vicks or other mentholatum rub and apply a dab under your nose if your coach neighbors do not practice the same hygiene habits that you are accustomed to. Also works for those who bring onboard their own malodorous foods.

GLAD WE BROUGHT:

-Small containers for toiletries

-personal electronic devices for entertainment

-cash in small bills

-sanitizing wipes

-Ziplock bags (for toiletries) and plastic grocery store bags (for collecting trash and laundry)

-healthy snack items like fruit

WE WILL BRING LESS OF NEXT TIME:

-Clothes! Underwear/socks are the only thing needs changing. Pants and shirts can be worn 2 days in a row.

-books. Never looked at one.

RE: For Colorado travel and touring

I picked up a Colorado Road and Recreation Atlas at Half-Price Books today.

I really like it. It's 144 pages with color detailed landscape maps.

The Amtrak route IS marked!!

It's made by Benchmark Maps of Medford, Ore.

colorado-atlas-cover.jpg

I always have a bag on hand, with everything I'm going to need during the trip - toiletries, pajamas, etc. And I always bring plenty of snacks, since the snack selection onboard can be kind of limited. Binoculars good for enjoying the scenery, and a blanket or two are near necessities if it gets cold at night and I don't want to bother the SCA for one.

Back