Things to take with you

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all personal preference, but I carry a lightweight portable radio that covers AM/FM/shortwave bands, a small active receiving loop antenna with a suction cup for the roomette window and a set of headphones. It's nice to tune around local stations and at night pick up the world bands. Bungee cords are nice for securement of all types of gear.

:rolleyes:
Care to share your radio brand/model? I'm looking for a small one, too...

The Radio Ham post was from 13 years ago, but I expect others may have suggestions. I took a small sony radio with shortwave on my 1983 travels to India, but that model is no longer made.
Do beware of cheap multiband radios, you get what you pay for...

The Radio Ham post was from 13 years ago, but I expect others may have suggestions. I took a small sony radio with shortwave on my 1983 travels to India, but that model is no longer made.
Do beware of cheap multiband radios, you get what you pay for...

I just realized that! I always click on 'What's new' above and rarely look at the date :rolleyes:

My sister will be joining me for her first overnight train trip in many years, and I have composed a list of things for her to bring that she might not think of otherwise. I will be bringing a "tool kit" of gaffer's tape, cardboard for covering the vent if necessary, multi tool, shims, clothes pins, and power strip (with a 10' cord since we're in the Family Bedroom).

Things I'll suggest that she bring:
  • clothes for sleeping in case the room is either hot or cold, and also that she would feel comfortable wearing down the hall to the bathroom (including slippers)
  • any special snacks
  • shampoo and soap
  • pillow and blanket (depending on how picky she is and if she wants the extra baggage)
  • travel coffee mug
  • flashlight
  • eye mask and ear plugs (in case we get stuck in coach or on a bus)
Any other suggestions?

I sent the list above off to my sister. Apparently. Amtrak is finally updating the pillows and blankets, so those items may not be so important to bring. But I added to bring along small bills for tips (and a $20 for each of our sleeper attendants, whom I hope will be worthy...).

Reactions: Cal
It seems to me Amtrak bathrooms had liquid soap vs the bar. Is that still the case? Would rather keep my liquid soap sealed up in my checked baggage if possible.

It seems to me Amtrak bathrooms had liquid soap vs the bar. Is that still the case? Would rather keep my liquid soap sealed up in my checked baggage if possible.
Yep, all sinks I've experienced had liquid hand soap.

Yep, all sinks I've experienced had liquid hand soap.
It's actually liquid with a foaming dispenser. The shampoo and soap in the sleepers are bar soap, though I'd imagine in the VII sleepers with a communal bathroom it's the foaming soap.

Also you can mitigate reflections by putting camera lens very close or flat against the window.

Yes, just don't touch the window or the vibrations will be a problem. I've seen people trying to steady their camera on some train part, but your body is the best damper, let arms/hands absorb the movement, and use a fast shutter speed. I use Manual focusing so the photograph doesn't end up as nice sharp window dirt and blurry landscape. Or, if I want part of the window in the picture, I can focus to get both. Those tend to convey the train experience better than pure landscapes. Hmm, I bet this opinion is in the wrong thread. Stopping now! ;)

Folk mentioned corrosion on equipment from leaking batteries. It should be possible to renovate minor rust/corrosion by rubbing the equipment terminals with some abrasive item, such as a nail file or emery board, or scratching with a small screwdriver.

Alkaline battery leakage is -duh- alkaline, remove it with a weak acid like vinegar. Use a cotton swab/Q-Tip and you may be good to go.

My luggage consists of one 46L backpack (The Osprey Porter) and a drawstring bag. I prefer to travel carry-on only. I’m a minimalist and don’t really have much stuff to begin with. One of my favorite items that I take is my blanket. It packs down really small so it’s basically nothing. It takes up no room in my bag. I do recommend bringing your own drinks. Ice is free at the food car. Whenever I go to get ice, I always get a snack or something so I’m not just asking for ice. (Idk, I just find it more respectful.) Sometimes I’ll get a Dr. Pepper, though, because I’d rather save my own drinks sometimes. Turns out they only have it on the Texas Eagle, unfortunately.

I would add food to that list. and if you want cheap hot stuff get instant food (coffee, tea included) and a 1-cup hot water coil (get a good cup too).

peter

Has anyone used a hot water coil on a train. Would it cause problems?

I do recommend bringing your own drinks. Ice is free at the food car. Whenever I go to get ice, I always get a snack or something so I’m not just asking for ice. (Idk, I just find it more respectful.)
It seems like almost everyone buys something or brings an excuse about medicine or baby supplies for their "free" ice or hot water. I know whenever I've approached the lounge car attendant the body language seems to suggest it's only free with purchase.

Not many sounds can be heard above the clickety-clack and groaning metal, unless your sliding roomette door keeps sliding open and shut. It's part of the "experience". 😄
Most of the time it's not too bad but I've had a few neighbors who were loud enough to be annoying. Sleeper walls seem to be thinner than people expect.

Has anyone used a hot water coil on a train. Would it cause problems?
Many people report using hot water devices including coils without issue. I think the consensus is that one or two at a time has little or no impact but if several people started heating liquids on the same circuit at the same time it might cause problems. I would also stick to NA-spec heating hardware for this.

I'm not sure if headphones are required in roomettes but I know sound does travel into the passageway & other roomettes through the gap at the bottom of the sliding door. That includes conversations and other sounds, so privacy and politeness also come into play.
Not many sounds can be heard above the clickety-clack and groaning metal, unless your sliding roomette door keeps sliding open and shut. It's part of the "experience". 😄

My neighbors were playing loud Jordanian rap music at 2 am on my last trip. They were in Bedroom A, we were in Bedroom B, and the SCA was in Bedroom C. I didn't want to ruin their party, so I just put in ear plugs. Also, many years ago, I brought a CD player with speakers in my Bedroom on a train, although I realize now it is inconsiderate.

2021 Service Standards Manual:
View attachment 27146
If it said Amtrak will provide back rubs on request would you believe that too? The people who determine what "sufficient supply" means are the same people giving a look of "and...?" when you ask for ice. I've been refused ice in sleepers so maybe we should file that quote where the shoes don't shine. 😉

Care to share your radio brand/model? I'm looking for a small one, too...

I'm also a ham radio operator (WA6ZFM). I like to take along a 2 meter hand-held transceiver and a repeater book. I also had fun, on a few long distance trains, taking a small AM radio for AM radio station DX'ing (seeing what very distant AM stations you can pull in).) I highly suggest using earphones in a sleeper. The walls are thin and you can bother your neighbor using the radio's loudspeaker. You would most likely need to put the radio right near the window to hear any stations.

With sleepers, I have found large bags or suitcases are difficult to manage going up those narrow stairs to your roomette or bedroom. I think it's best to take along mid-size or small bags .If you get on the train midway, sometime the downstairs luggage racks are full. Of course, you can check your baggage at the stations, but many stations, these days, don't check baggage. I think it's best to take a backpack up to my sleeper with fresh clothes only for those days on the train. A light jacket or sweater (sometime the air conditioner is going full blast and can get your room quite cold at night. Also, toiletries . A thermos bottle with fresh, cold water. I have found that the water in Amtrak's water bottles tends to taste like plastic, as probably the bottles have been sitting around a long time. Medication if desired or necessary. I like "Unisom" as an over-the-counter sleeping med although Unisom can make one a zombie the next day, due to its lasting effect. A camera (I don't like taking pictures with a cell phone). A book. Passport if you are crossing into Canada. Masks if required walking around the train.

Richard

Last edited:
Back