Third Annual multi-segment Winter Journey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulM

Engineer
MTP - DEN - CHI - WAS -DLD -SBG - WTH - NYP - CHI - MTP

First Segment: Jan 7 #5 California Zephyr Mount Pleasant, IA – Denver

Roomette - paid

We arrived after a 1:30 drive at the Mount Pleasant, IA, station in plenty of time to apply some unused tickets and a transportation voucher to MTP-DEN tickets previously paid for online. What I hadn't predicted was that the young, new agent who had recently replaced the retired long time and well liked agent, would earn his salary for the day with this one transaction. Of course in a situation like this, he has to refund the purchase and charge the difference between the price and the voucher plus unused tickets. Refunding the value of the voucher and tickets would be too simple. To make a long story short, the first problem was he could not cancel the sleeper portion on the day of travel (why cancel?). So he came up with the idea of canceling only the coach portion and then applying the credit back to it. But then the computer would only let him apply three types of payment to a ticket. I only counted 3: credit card, unused tickets, and transportation voucher. Perhaps the 4 unused tickets were counted as 4; but by this time it was going way over my head. Then I came up with the idea of only applying the voucher since it was about to expire. Since I had not made return reservations from Florida and would be staying very near the Deland station, I could use the unused tickets for that. Problem solved.

It took us 3 trips to get all our luggage to the opposite side of the tracks at the east end of the platform to board 532, the last car in the train. Packing for a 6 week trip to snowy Colorado and sunny Florida presented a challenge. At first glance, with 3 large 62 inch "airline legal" suitcases, a carry-on rolling suitcase, a medium size backpack, and a notebook case, we looked like a throw back to the transatlantic steamship era. But when you consider that two of the large suitcases contained folding bikes and the third was full of stuff my wife was unloading on our children and grandchildren and would be left behind in Denver, I think we are in line for some kind of minimalist traveler award.

Whether we boarded in Galesburg or Mount Pleasant was a toss-up. Now is as good a time as any for my annual rant regarding lack of baggage service anywhere between Chicago and Omaha or Kansas City. GBB with 8 trains a day and several agents certainly rates baggage service.

Fortunately, this was not a weekend when no agent is on duty to inform us when to cross the tracks because the train was about 10 minutes early. While waiting on the platform, to confirm we were in the right spot as much as to make conversation, I commented to a man "You look like you know where you are going. What car are you in?" He didn't know, but showed me his ticket for coach, which would be boarding about a block further west. He proceeded to recount how he almost killed himself trying to find the temporary station in Denver.

The train's arrival made me wonder about the rule of thumb that it takes a mile to stop. As the engine passed us it appeared to still be going full speed; yet it came to a stop with the rear car door exactly in front of us.

The SCA took all our luggage in stride even helping with a couple of them. Against all odds, the downstairs luggage rack was almost empty and we had no trouble stowing all our stuff. The sleepers appeared to have a light load, just the opposite of the coaches which seemed to be full. We drew a Superliner II sleeper (open coat rack, rather than thin closet in the roomette); but it appeared to be in excellent shape. The other sleeper was a refurbished I (dark paneling).

Departing from MTP is convenient because you just about have time to get settled when it's time for supper, courtesy of reservations made by the SCA. Our table companion was an interesting elderly man who was doing a CHI-RNO-CHI turn without spending the night. Last year he had done CHI-LAX-SEA-CHI with only a one night stopover in SEA. The odd thing was I didn't get the impression he was a rail fan; and he didn't try to sell me on AU. My wife and I both ordered the steak medium. Her's came out medium, my well done and then some. It was a shame because even in its degraded state, it still had flavor.

Although the ride was very smooth and quiet overall, being in the last car I did notice a little side to side sway, as others have reported. As usual, I had no trouble getting to sleep on a train. After waking up briefly at Omaha and Hastings, we were awakened by the SCA at 6:15AM some time after Fort Morgan. We had asked to be awaken in time to get breakfast before the 7:15 arrival in DEN. This was one of those cases where a little lateness would have come in handy. Our table comanions were a couple from South Africa who were going from NYC to San Francisco.

We had been running early the whole way and DEN was no exception, although the approach to the backup move into the temporary station seemed slower than usual. For the first time ever we made use of the cart provided in DEN to get ourselves and all our luggage to the station. Our last car had passed up the station by a considerable distance. In this respect things had not changed with the new location. With the sleepers in front and the train not backing all the way into Union Station, it was always a long walk from the sleepers. The overcrowded waiting room in the temporary station reminded me Chicago. The tradition of lining up to have tickets lifted at a desk was still maintained; but in the new quarters there was nowhere for the line to go.

---------------------

Segment 2: Jan 12 #6 California Zephyr DEN-CHI

Roomette 2 zone AGR reward

Since we would be checking the remaining two large suitcases as well as my small one, and since #6 had been running early, I wanted to get to the station in plenty of time. I became uneasy when my son, due to traffic on I25 (THE I25 as they say in California), was late picking us up where we were staying just south of downtown Denver. It increased when he wasn't sure how to find the station despite his round trip from it a month earlier. I had looked up the directions from I25; but he was understandably reluctant to try his luck there again. So after passing the old Union Station we finally found it by feel more than anything.

Direction to temporary station:

From I25: take the eastbound 20th street exit. Go about 3 blocks. From here you can circle to the left or right. If you are dropping someone off or picking them up, turn right on Chestnut Place for 1 block, turn left on 19th for 1 block, and turn left on Wewatta for 1 1/2 blocks. This puts you between the platform and station. If you are looking for the parking lot, turn left on Chestnut Place for 1 block, turn right for on 29th Av for 1 block, and turn right on Delgany for 1 block.

From downtown: go west on 20th street 1 block past the Wewatta underpass. From here you can circle to the right or left as described above.

With all that we reached the station about 15 minutes before the train's scheduled arrival and found it already in the station. Once the baggage handlers had taken care of the arrivals, they began checking departing passengers' luggage with no fuss.

I was glad we could check the luggage because this time the luggage rack was full as well as the handicapped room pressed into service. The SCA told us to head to the diner as soon as we made the on-time departure. This was the third year in a row we were able to eat in the dining car departing Denver. For quite a while before that, it wasn't possible on what was coming to be known in Denver as the "Midnight Special". I decided to give the chef one more chance with the steak; and this time he did it justice.

I retired shortly after Fort Morgan and woke up with us standing still for the longest time just past the Lincoln station. We stopped and started several times before I fell asleep again. Delays continued once we were in Iowa. In western IA single track territory, we continually stopped for freights. Once double track began after Creston, I didn't see many freights; but we slowed down to 10-15MPH, not getting up to speed until after GBB.

When we reached MTP, my wife wanted to slip off the train and put something in our car which was sitting in the station parking lot; and she wanted me to go with her. Since I didn't want do delay my arrival in sunny Florida by a day, I declined. But she talked her way to the front of the long line of college students getting off, and was able to get to the car and back before the 10 or so waiting to get on were even able to begin boarding.

Despite all the stopping and then slow running we made it to CHI only 55 minutes late, leaving plenty of time to get settled in the metro lounge and go out for a walk in frigid, blustery Chicago before catching the Capital Limited. Naturally there was a queue getting into the lounge after the CZ arrival; but it was by no stretch of the imagination crowded. The staff checking everyone in was polite and efficient. I tried using the internet from the computer lounge; but it was excruciatingly slow. For the first time ever, we ran into someone we know in the lounge. They were on their way from QCY to NYP.

It was odd to see the departure and arrival boards in CHI showing mostly ON TIME and the remainder with only minor delays.

--------

Segment 3: Jan 13 #30 Capital Limited - CHI-WAS

Although I had not planned it that way, it was comforting to know we were departing on Friday, a day that would not be subject to busing from PGH to WAS should the train be at least 3 hours late out of Cleveland. We were told to be back by 5:15 for a 6:10 departure. I didn't see any reason to board so early since we had been given a 7:00 dinner reservation by the lounge staff. In fact, likely because of the 1/2 hour earlier departure due to the Pinkerton Horn "big dig", dinner service would not begin until we had departed. At any rate, not wanting to buck the system, we boarded with everyone else.

This time the sleepers were on the front and we drew a refurbished Superliner I (the other sleeper was a II). From my standpoint, I vs. II is a toss-up. I prefer the II's open closet and the refurbished I's larger restrooms and shower. All seemed to be in good condition. As far as front vs. rear is concerned, it is hard to judge with only one data point for each. Riding the rear on the CZ-BNSF was much smoother and quieter, although with slightly more side to side sway, than the front on the CL-NS between CHI & CLE. But the next morning the ride was smooth and quiet on the CSX. So I conclude that track conditions, not position in the consist, that determine ride quality.

I took advantage of the time sitting in the station to take a shower. The water, while not cold, wasn't real hot. The next morning my wife reported a hot shower; so it must take HEP a while to heat up the water. Unlike the CZ, neither sleeper had ice; but the dining car readily supplied some when I asked.

During the his opening sermon upon departure, the conductor made the standard "sold out train" announcement. It didn't appear to be the case with our sleeper; but it was full by the next morning. Our advance out of CUS was excruciatingly slow, although we stopped only once, and then very briefly. it wasn't until well into northern Indiana that we got up to speed.

For a change of pace we selected the crab cakes and tilapia. Although I'm not a good judge of crab cakes, I though they were OK. But I didn't think too much of the tilapia. Much to our chagrin, the dining car staff dispensed with the usual community seating. My wife and I were seated separately; and then a woman about our age (very late middle age!) who occupied the compartment across from us was also seated alone. Much later a man was seated with us who was of a type that I had never met personally, only in AU discussions. Despite my wife's best efforts, we couldn't get a hello out of him. Fortunately, we were finished and said good bye. About this time, a man was seated with the previously mentioned lady. Much later, as I was returning from the lounge car, the two were still talking. So it was obvious she wasn't the shy or anti-social type. More about her later.

I fell asleep leaving Waterloo, IN, slept through CLV and PGH, and didn't wake up until the infamous Pinkerton Horn between Rockwood and Garret, PA. It was obvious where we were even before I saw the construction equipment. A large swath of hillside had been denuded. CL riders who get bussed aren't the only one not too happy with the project. Environmentalists and bicycle riders on the Great Allegheny Passage (a rails to trails conversion of old W&M on the opposite side of the river) are up in arms. Apparently CSX, in its application, environmental impact statement, etc. only mentioned enlarging the tunnel to accommodate double stacks. Some how or another they slipped the day-lighting version passed the local authorities.

Another disadvantage of the project is the 1/2 hour earlier schedule. Some of my favorite scenery - Ohiopyle State Park and Confluence, PA - were covered in darkness. The CL route from PGH to WAS is my favorite Amtrak route because I have bicycled the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal trails, which parallel the train route almost the whole way, several times. I found the stretch over the eastern continental divide between Myersdale, PA and Cumberland, MD especially interesting during the winter. It was a different perspective with snow on the ground and without the leaves on the trees to block the view.

I am happy to report that the C&O canal bike trail seemed to be in very good condition between Brunswick and Point of Rocks where it was clearly visible from the train.

The dining car steward(ess) announced that you could have breakfast or lunch or both as long as you got to the dining car before Martinsburg, about 11:30. After a late and big breakfast, I swore I could wait until 8:00PM when we would get supper on #97 out of WAS. But my wife, upon hearing the last call, wanted to go to the dining car and order take out for our long wait in DC. Our server happily took care of us. I would rate the dining car service on this leg as one of the best. In fact, it came close to meeting my often stated standard of service found at a "spit & whittle" cafe in a small midwestern town. I was especially impressed by the polite and diplomatic way one of the waiters handled a family that was confused about the difference between a dining car and a cafe car.

Despite the time lost getting out of the Chicago area, we arrived only 3 minute late into WAS, taking good advantage of the pad between Rockville and WAS.

Being Saturday, DC's version of the Metropolitan Lounge was almost deserted the whole afternoon and early evening. Again, I prefer the system in place there over Chicago's, although as I said earlier, I couldn't fault the staff during our visit there.

I had a weird internet experience at the DC station. I again tried the lounge computer hoping to get directions for a walking tour near the Capital; but it was even slower than Chicago's; and it was obvious that the computer was almost dead in the water, not just the internet connection. I asked the attendant about wi-fi; and she said the connection was better out in the main waiting area. Out there I could get a connection, but no internet access. I'm sure that, like some other public wi-fi providers, they want you to jump through hoops before getting down to business. But in this case, the log on site kept dropping the connection (I had had the same experience at the Denver station). The guys at the WUS info desk suggested I bootleg off Starbuck's wi-fi, which I did with no trouble. I no sooner started gathering the information I wanted than the dreaded almost out of juice warning popped up. It took a while to find power outlets, a row of them along a wall, but with few chairs nearby - all taken. So I decided to wing it to the Capital, through the botanical gardens, and around the neighborhood southeast of the capital. When we got back and I questioned a different attendant about my wi-fi problem, he suggested I try Internet Explorer. Immediately, the Amtrak log on screen came up; and I had internet access. As an experiment I disconnected and retried using Firefox. Same problem, dropped connection. But once I logged on with IE, I could surf using Firefox. I'll have to try out my new found knowledge next time I am in Denver. Wierd! Do the big timers coming and going through WUS have so much trouble? And I consider myself a computer programmer (or software engineer to use more modern jargon - I always wanted to be an engineer and now I are one.)

--------------------------

4th Segment: Jan 14 #97 Silver Meteor - WAS to DeLand

#97 arrived on time in WAS (in fact the arrival and departure board showed only ON TIME). As an employee was leading us through the many corridors to the train, I had a sense of deja vu; not of train travel, but the endless walking in the Frankfurt and Toronto airports we had experience on a recent trip to Austria. But we soon reached the escalator down to the through tracks to the South.

Two years ago we did this same trip and had one of my all time favorite SCA's. I later found out on the NB return trip when I saw him working the cafe car that he was a newbie still on the extra board. I doubt our SCA this time was a newbie or on the extra board; but he was also one of the best. In fact he seemed to be confusing Amtrak with a top of the line hotel or restaurant (not that I would know anything about such establishments, you understand).

We landed in the second of three viewliner sleepers on the rear of the train. With the baggage car and a dead head coach behind the sleepers, we had the best of both worlds. No loud engine horn every 45 seconds and no side to side sway characteristic of the last car in a train. In fact the ride was very smooth and quiet. Makes me wonder why Amtrak doesn't put the baggage car, sleepers, and, in the case of superliner trains, the transdorm on the end as a matter of course. It would also solve the problem of not having a SCA nearby to serve passengers in the transdorm. Tradition maybe? Gotta have the bag and REA cars on the front.

Two years ago we were called immediately to the dining car, where we were treated to a candle-lit supper when we experienced a power outage caused by a slow engine change. But this time we weren't called to the diner until we got underway. My wife had the catfish, which she liked, and I had the bar-b-q ribs. I'll qualify my review of the ribs by saying they were quite good -- for a non-rib establishment. Without question, the catfish and ribs were the largest portions I can recall having in a diner. This being our third day on a train, we were hard pressed to do them justice. Again the service provided by only one waiter and very active steward was excellent.

I mentioned earlier the lack of community seating and the other lady on the CL. Well this time we just happened to be seated with her (she like us had transferred to the SM). We had a long, interesting conversation. Her husband was flying from Chicago to Orlando for a dental conference; but she to put it mildly was not thrilled about flying and took the train. It also turned out that she and her husband are long time friends with someone in our relatively small Illinois town; and her grand daughter attends a very small college in Alabama which just happens to be my alma mater. Small world.

I fell asleep shortly after Richmond and didn't wake up until we were about to arrive in Jessup, GA.

It's morning and that means coffee. Only one of the three sleeping car's Dewey Egbert coffee systems were working. Ours had a large perculator not in service; but the SCA had offered to bring coffee whenever we wanted it. But rather than bother him, I was able to steal whatever I needed from the next car. Since we would be getting off just before lunch, I waited for the last call for breakfast and headed for the cafe (aka lounge) car.

I was impressed by how good a job the cafe attendant was doing, even going out to the table area to serve customers. In fact, I thought our SCA, the dining car service, and cafe car were way above average. Now since I didn't attempt to upgrade from coach to sleeper on board and didn't look to see whether the door between coach and dining car was locked, I have no idea whether the conductor from hell reported in a couple of AU threads was on duty out of WAS. But I doubt the friendly middle aged man who came looking for our tickets, and didn't get upset when we said the SCA had collected them, was it.

After a late breakfast and another great trip, we arrived about 5 minutes late at one of my favorite small town stations, DeLand, Fl.

#97 calling at Deland

DLD1.jpg

------------------------

5th Segment: Jan 29 Silver Metor #97 DLD to SBG (Sebring, FL)

Coach – paid

After 2 weeks under live oaks and Spanish moss we moved further south to Sebring. When I stopped by the station to pick up the tickets and apply the unused tickets, the agent said no problem; but proceeded to have a problem in that the computer kept giving him an error. After rebooting his computer, he suddenly realized that I had already paid for the tickets (how else can you make a reservation?). With this important fact at hand, he was able to apply the tickets, and gave me a $5 plus change voucher for the amount left over.

This time, to avoid disassembling our bikes, we stuffed our luggage in the two large suitcases and checked them. We simply folded the bikes and carried them on board. When the train arrived about 10 minutes late, attendants opened two coaches and directed singles to one and groups of two or more to another. Our attendant assigned seats prior to boarding; but when she saw us with the bikes, she put us in the rear facing seat at the front of the car with extra leg room, normally wheel chair space I presume.

I was very impressed with the attendant who worked hard to accommodate the many passengers getting on and off at Winter Park, Orlando, Kissemee, Winter Haven and finally Sebring. She was very cordial and lacked that patented Amtrak bossyness. From the looks of it, Florida could definitely use an intrastate train. It seems like two whole coaches were being used for short haul passengers.

Rather than ride backwards, we spent most of the time in the cafe car (AKA lounge) where we had lunch that we had brought with us, including wine. I invoked the Ohio State Park rule which says (or did 35 years ago) that alcohol is not allowed; but that beer or wine with a picnic is not considered alcohol.

Dead head Viewliner on the back of #97 as it passes Auburndale, FL just before the Tampa junction.

deadHead.jpg

I don't know if it was the track or the Amfleets; but the ride was the roughest I had experienced in a while. Nevertheless, we had a pleasant trip and arrived about 6 minutes late at Sebring's nicely refurbished heritage station. I don't know why; but the station sported a fireplace (as did Winter Haven). A shuttle from our hotel, the historic Kennilworth Lodge, met us and transported our luggage while we biked the mile to the hotel.

------------------

6th Segment: Feb 3 Silver Metor #98 SBG to Winter Haven (WTH)

Coach – paid

Once again the shuttle transported our luggage while we biked to the station. When I tried to apply the $5+ voucher to the fare, the SBG agent said it couldn't be done. When I persisted, he said that he could credit my AGR MC; and I said that would be great but I didn't think that was possible. After about 20 minutes on the phone, he came up with the right answer, namely refund what I had paid and charge me fare minus the voucher. Again, I attributed the problem to a young, brand new agent.

Waiting for #98 at Sebring

sebring.jpg

Again we checked our stuff in the two large suitcases and carried the folding bikes on board. This time there was plenty of space in the luggage area at the front of the car. Not much to say about the 45 minute ride other than that the personable conductor we had on the DLD-SBG segment remembered us and said hello. I guess she doesn't very often see two 70 year olds boarding with folding bikes. The train arrived about 10 minutes late and maintained that into WTH.

Winter Haven station

WTH.jpg

Again the proprietor of our lodging, the Lake Ida Beach Resort, transported our luggage while we biked the 3 miles. In the excitement we left a bike lock and chain sitting on the platform. The next day we discovered it missing and went back to the station. The very personable agent had it waiting for us, saying she remembered us and figured we would be back.

--------------

7th Segment: Feb11 #98 Silver Meteor - WTH to New York, Ny (NYP)

Roomette – 1 Zone AGR reward

After about 4 weeks in Florida, it was time to face the cold, cruel world again. This time we packed our bikes in the suitcases and checked them through to CHI along with the smaller suitcase, dragging on board only what we needed for the rest of the journey. Since I had no more travel or exchange vouchers to cash in, I had no trouble picking up the tickets.

The train arrived on time. Although our sleeper 9810 was almost empty with only one BR occupied, it filled up at Orlando. Our very personable SCA mentioned several times that we could sit in an empty roomette if we wanted. By this time I was beginning to wonder what's going on? Has Amtrak been sending its train employees (OBS and T&E) to charm school?

Orlando Station

orl2.jpg

Hoard boarding sleeping car in ORL

orl1.jpg

Shortly after departing we headed to the dining car where my wife raved about the lobster bisque – salad combo. Few people were left in the diner; and service was fast.

The 40th Anniversary train was sitting in the station at Jacksonville.

anniv1.jpg

For dinner I selected the ribs again while my wife decided to give the spinach lasagna a try. I thought the ribs were even better than the first time. I especially liked the glaze on them, and didn't need bar-b-q sauce. My wife usually has no use for restaurant lasagna, claiming she can do a lots better. But she gave the spinach variety thumbs up. The 6:30 seating was crowded & service slower. The waiter needed reminding that dessert follows the meal at some point (back to normal, I guess). I never get over how drab the heritage diners used on the SM are. Also it had very poor acoustics; and with a full diner and wine flowing, conversation was difficult although interesting.

Again a rough ride in the viewliner, diner, and Amfleet cafe car south of JAX. It did improve a bit afterward.

We were approx 10 minutes late thru Charleston. I went to sleep about 11PM; and only woke up when we stopped a long time at Richmond because we arrived about 1/2 hr early. I got up as we were leaving DC a 1/2 hour early. Being Sunday with less traffic of all kinds, I predicted we would be an hour early. I had to roust my wife out of bed to make the last call for breakfast at Wilmington (actually I phrased it as “If you would like breakfast, you will have to ...”). Despite a short wait at Seacaucus Jct, we arrived at NYP just over an hour early.

The NEC ride was smoother than south of WAS, but not as smooth as a ride in Horizon coaches on the BNSF’s QCY-GBB sub-main.

The early arrival did wreak havoc with breakfast. An announcement was made that the last call would be at Wilmington. Several sleeping car passengers that entered the diner as we departed Wilmington were turned away. We barely made it; but the server was so nervous or intent on closing up that he got my order wrong. No problem since I like all the breakfast entrees. The waiter literally kicked us and our table companions out. He brought paper coffee cups and started dumping food into them.

I had noticed a man in an Amtrak uniform in various places during the trip. As we were getting off, he was there; and I asked if he was what used to be called a chief of on-board services. He said he was an "operations supervisor". Not sure what that involves.

The Club Acela was about half full when we arrived, empty when we came back a hour later, and full when we came back again an hour before 49's departure. I like the system of dumping your stuff on a shelf and going. Why is Chi so paranoid?

--------

8th Segment: Feb12 #49 LSL - NYP to CHI

AGR 1 zone roomette reward to Toledo (TOL) and paid coach rest of the way.

I had decided to connect to the Lake Shore Limited via NYP, rather than the Capital Limited via DC not only for the sake of variety. The LSL arrives in Toledo almost an hour later than the CL, thus allowing a little more sleep since we would be vacating our roomette in TOL. I was hoping for a delay so we wouldn't have to vacate our sleeping quarters at 6 AM.

The Club Acela attendant announced #49 about a half hour before departure. We were instructed to meet an escort at the door to take us to an escalator right next to the lounge and which took us directly down to our sleeper. So there was no need to get in line with everyone else. Track side, I wondered why there were 3 viewliners in front of the baggage car; then realized we had hit the jackpot with 8400, the rebuilt viewliner diner.

8400.jpg

I was disappointed to see that our roomette was on the right, i.e., wrong, side. The last time I did this route I made use of the deadhead cafe car adjacent to the NY sleepers to sit on the left. But it had been discontinued. So I asked the SCA if I could sit in one of the unoccupied roomettes on the left (right) side. The answer was no; but my wife was able to get her to change her mind. When I returned to our roomette after it got dark, I thanked her for letting me sit there and pointed out that the left side was the second most scenic Amtrak route east of the Rocky Mountains (just guessing). This was news to her.

The setting sun and storm clouds over the Hudson made for interesting scenery but difficult photography

hudson2.jpg

We arrived early in Albany making for a longer layover. After going up into the station for a look, I came back down and noticed that only the NY sleepers and maybe one coach were stationed at the high level platform. Leading to the lower platform up ahead, there was a sign saying Amtrak personnel only. How would passengers gain access to cars forward of this point?

We waited for the first seating after Albany. I again had the crab cakes and thought they were much better than on the CL - lighter, not to mention hotter. My wife's steak was just the way she likes it.

I fell asleep before ROC and woke up at BUF and was encouraged to see we were just over an hour late.

Later at Erie two persons boarded and occupied the roomette across from us. There was a long, loud meeting involving the conductor or AC and the SCA. I pictured an elderly person needing lots of help. Later I was jolted away by loud laughter. The room was still in the day configuration; and two men were holding a redneck rendezvous (my terminology for a group making noise where it is not appropriate). When I asked them to "hold it down, this is a sleeping car", the response was "Cool, go back to sleep". In the meantime my wife had pressed the call button. Her theory is that it's best to let authorities handle things like that. But there was no response. Fortunately, I didn't hear anything more. I got the feeling that they were railroad T&E employees dead heading; and I was surprised they didn't get off in TOL, which I believe is a crew change point. This was the 2nd year in a row where I encountered this. Last year it was a pre-ski party on the west bound CZ.

I woke up as we were arriving in TOL on time (why can't they be late when you need it?). As we were vacating our accommodations, I asked the SCA if the conductor had pulled the TOL-CHI tickets (I wife handles things like tickets); and she said yes. When I got a chance to check, I saw we still had the tickets. Back home when I called AGR to find out how to get the points, the agent said to wait 21 days before sending them in with an explanation; and they could be entered manually. He said the system would reject them at this point. Why?

As we were transferring to coach at 6:00AM, there was a crying baby in the seat nearest the door of the 1st of 4 NY coaches. Fortunately there were seats available in other cars and no bossy attendant around to force us to sit there. But if I had to sit near the baby, I hope I would have been able to live up to my creed of not making life more difficult for people in a tough situation.

We arrived in CHI a few minutes late; and we went directly to the Metropolitan lounge to check our carry on luggage while we went out to tend to some business in the Loop. There were quite a few people waiting in the lounge; but I would not say it was crowded.

We had waited to collect the two large suitcases with bikes until we got back from our walk. If you don't claim your luggage from the carrasel, it is stored in a room across the hall; and you will have to get an employee to open the room. At some point, I believe it will be transferred to the basement.

-----------------

9th Segment: Feb13 #5 CZ - CHI to Mount Pleasant

Coach – paid

On the final coach segment, I discovered that the carry on baggage rule of thumb "If you can schlep it on board without causing a problem, ..." has a caviat. Despite going to the front of the waiting line based on "seniority", by the time we trudged to the short haul coach (1 of only 2) with the two large suitcases plus all our stuff, we found ourselves at the end of a long line. The conductor at the door stopped directing passengers to help us aboard. My guess is that it was because he knew the luggage rack was already full. Half of it was taken up by 3 large Tupperware tubs full of stuff. He re-alligned some of the smaller bags and found room for one of ours. He went back outside, but not before warning us that the bags were too large and he could have rejected them (and us I presume).

I was about to put the other bag in the large open space in the front of the lower level seating when a coach attendant said I couldn't go in there. She had definitely played hooky the day charm school was in session. I went upstairs leaving it in the aisle; and some time later the same voice came over the intercom saying the green bag had to be moved. Fortunately she went on to bigger and better things because she wasn't there when I got downstairs; so I moved it to the open space I mentioned earlier. I knew I was safe when I saw it covered by a pile of other stuff, including a large table in a box. The whole problem may not have occurred had the conductor stayed outside and not tried to help us. We could have managed. Once again I cursed Amtrak for not having baggage service at Galesburg.

It dawned on me that we should have used the Red Cap like the tupperware owners. Let the Red Caps fight it out. The conductor probably wouldn't hassle the Red Cap. But at our ages (70), we are hesitant to do that. it is a slippery slope between independence and dependence.

I later checked the carry on baggage rules; and the max is 28" x 22" x 14 for a total of 64". I also measured the bags in question when I got home. They are 30 x 22 x 10 for a total of 62" . One of the dimensions is 4" shorter; but one 2" too big. So I guess the conductor was right technically.

In any event without further difficulties we reached MTP right on time with 2 inches of snow on the ground. Our car, which had been sitting at the station for 6 weeks fired right up and we headed home after another great trip.

Conclusions

On time performance: unbelievable. All but 1 segment was early or within a few minutes of schedule, both boarding and de-training. The only exception was the eastbound CZ; after arriving early in DEN it was 55 minutes late arriving in Chicago. For the CZ, this is like being on time. BNSF in Iowa is now the culprit.

Mechanical problems: 2 viewliner coffee pots and one coach rest room. No engine failures, no diner out of service, no delay because of a bad ordered car. A tremendous improvement over last year's 8 segment trip.

On board service: outstanding, with one exception, a major improvement over last year, which I also judged a major improvement compared to the past.

Food: good to excellent

Condition of cars: surprisingly good

Coach vs. sleeper: based on 2 1/2 segments in coach plus a thorough coach inspection during each sleeper segment, I am able to announce that coach is not the black hole of Calcutta, nor are its patrons the dregs of society.

The idea that asking for a on-board upgrade is "gaming" the system appears to be false.

sign.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Nice Report and Pics Paul, Thanks for Posting! :cool: Did you use Amsnag to book your trip? ^_^ Still remember meeting you in the Club Acela in WAS while I was waiting on the Crescent and you a Silver Train, we had been on the Cap together but didnt meet you till we got to WAS!

:hi: Nice Report and Pics Paul, Thanks for Posting! :cool: Did you use Amsnag to book your trip? ^_^ Still remember meeting you in the Club Acela in WAS while I was waiting on the Crescent and you a Silver Train, we had been on the Cap together but didnt meet you till we got to WAS!
But of course I used Amsnag; both for the paid segments and AGR ones to find out when roomettes were sold out. They were on my planned return date from Florida. Not that I am complaining about an extra day in the warm weather.

Where were you this year!

Just wanted to say thanks for a detailed trip report that covered just about everything a rail enthusiast might care about. Knowing that 30, on its earlier schedule, serves breakfast and lunch continuously into Martinsburg is a -very- helpful tip! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back