three in a roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Stable

Would Amtrak allow three people in a roomette? My husband and I want to take our grandaughter on the Sunset Lmtd. If we pay for a romette and a coach ticket could we rotate in and out of the roommette between the three of us??

In a roomette three is way to many! I believe that 2 is at times to much in a roomette. But if you want a sleeping accommodation I would book a Family Bedroom cheaper then the bedroom and you know you will have room for all three of you. If it's in the Northeast I would book a bedroom or a bedroom suite. Keep in mind the Family bedroom is only on the Superliners.

Steve

The OP's question is whether the conductor and/or attendant will allow three people to take turns, two at a time, using the roomette. Presumably this means that the adults will take turns "on duty" trying to sleep in coach while the "off duty" adult sleeps in the roomette with the granddaughter. It depends on how anal they feel like being. A nice early tip to the attendant might lubricate the deal. Failing that, a full bedroom would be the only solution. It's also possible that the attendant might be too busy to notice as long as there were only two people in the roomette.

It would help to know the age and size of your granddaughter. Regardless though, as long as you aren't disturbing other passengers, you are welcome to bring guests to your room, whether they be friends or family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen two adults and an infant booked into a roomette, but I wasn't able to book two adults and a 3 year old in one for a "day trip" between Santa Barbara and Oakland on the the Coast Starlate. A third party bigger than an infant would be a real squeeze, especially if you are planning on sleeping.

It can be done. When I was 4 or 5 my parents had the 3 of us booked into one Viewliner Roomette, only things I remember from the trip were having mac and cheese in the dining car, the fold down sink, and the little TV. Granted I was pretty small, and I sat on the toilet during the day. We all slept in the room although I don't remember how. It all depends on the size of the child.

I don't know for sure about this. Once I booked my wife, her sister, and four kids into a family bedroom and since then it's taken a lot of sweet talking to get my wife back on a train :huh: You'd probably be better off in a family bedroom where everyone would have a bed (if we're talking about kids), otherwise if adults I'd shoot for two adjoining economy sleepers. When we've done kids with us, it works well to get two sleepers across the hall from each other on the lower level, put the kids in one and adults in the other during the day, then kids in the bunks at night. Good luck!

Two adults and one child in a Bedroom makes more sense. I know a family that travels with their petite 13 year old daughter this way. The daughter will rest with one of the adults in the bottom bunk (that is a little wide)r than the top one is. Amtrak will allow this but three in a tiny roomette is not a good idea. Roomettes are basically just tiny sleeping compartments and nothing more. On the Superliners they are even smaller than on the Viewliners.

I second the second roomette option! I prefer it when I travel with the family (2 adults, 2 young kids) on Amtrak. On many Amtrak routes, it is often cheaper to get two roomettes than a bedroom or family bedroom, and you get better views out of both sides of the car! You can also use one roomette for naps during the day while still having the other roomette fully available for those reading, enjoying the scenery, etc. The second roomette will also get you the 2nd grandparent's meals included in the diner (~$45/day)... so factor that in to the additional cost.

Lastly, if you're taking this trip to spend time with your granddaughter... wouldn't it be nice if you could BOTH spend time with her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back