Thruway bus and train question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
The Multi City booking option appears not to be operational at the moment, is there a way to book a Thruway bus to San Luis Obispo then the following day a Surfliner to LAX?

I see there is a bus to Santa Barbara with a Surfliner to connect to LAX, but that doesn't suit us. For us the best part of the Surfliner journey is from SLO to Santa Barbara.

On top of all this we have travelled once from San Francisco to Salinas on a Thruway bus and thoroughly enjoyed that, so thought to give the rest of the journey a try on a bus too.

Can't find any route maps for Thurway buses, do they exist, have I missed them?

If we can make this journey it will be followed a few days later on the Coast Starlight from LAX back to EMY, didn't want to take the same trasin both ways.

Thanks

The Multi City booking option appears not to be operational at the moment, is there a way to book a Thruway bus to San Luis Obispo then the following day a Surfliner to LAX?

I see there is a bus to Santa Barbara with a Surfliner to connect to LAX, but that doesn't suit us. For us the best part of the Surfliner journey is from SLO to Santa Barbara.

On top of all this we have travelled once from San Francisco to Salinas on a Thruway bus and thoroughly enjoyed that, so thought to give the rest of the journey a try on a bus too.

Can't find any route maps for Thurway buses, do they exist, have I missed them?

If we can make this journey it will be followed a few days later on the Coast Starlight from LAX back to EMY, didn't want to take the same trasin both ways.

Thanks
As far as I know, the bus reservation needs to be associated with a train segment. Using the multi-city tool is probably the easiest way to do it, so it is likely best to just wait for that to be fixed if there is a temporary issue with it.

Alternatively, you could find more creative ways to book the ticket. For example, you could book a short segment on a connecting train even if you don't plan on using it. This works best if the bus segment is first, since the remainder of the reservation may be cancelled if you don't show up for the first segment. Another option would be to book round-trip tickets. This could be accomplished by booking two separate round trips split at San Luis Obispo with the return LAX-EMY trip on two separate tickets for the same train.

As to a map, many of the recent Amtrak system maps show the thruway routes, including the one I attached. They are indicated by green lines.

Attachments

• Amtrak-System-Map-1018.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
In mid-2020 California regulations were changed so that tickets can now be purchased on many/most Thruway bus routes even if there no rail segment, particularly where there is no other bus service. Apparently, routes are being evaluated and opened up one-by-one. I have not found a comprehensive source of specific information. My advice is to go to the websites for the individual corridors (Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, and Pacific Surfliner). On at least one page on the Amtrak website it is still stated that such sales are not permitted in California, but this information is obsolete. Many Thruway buses in the rest of the country are operated by 3rd party operators who have always sold tickets directly (often at prices lower than charged by Amtrak).

A lot of questions about the Surfliner service are answered at this address:
Sitemap | Pacific Surfliner

There's a simplified Surfliner map at:
Destinations and Train Stations | Pacific Surfliner

The Capitol Corridor has a page for new riders with links at:
First-Time Rider Help for Capitol Corridor Travelers

The San Joaquin corridor has a FAQ page in its messy website at:
Amtrak Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) | Amtrak San Joaquins

And a map of the entire state and corridor rail and bus schedules to their credit at:
https://21vreg4f7o1g2r49c02rveod-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/ASJ-Timetable.pdf

Back