Thruway connection from Empire Builder in Portland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite new to riding Amtrak trains (only been in them a handful of times going to/from Chicago - which I loved)

I'm planning a long trip from Southern Illinois to Corvallis, Oregon.

Riding the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland seems simple enough, but I'm very confused about shuttle service from Portland to Corvallis.

When I try to book a one-way trip on the Amtrak site, it gives me a Thruway connection that leaves Portland at 12:00pm (with arrival in Albany and then a layover and transfer to Corvallis). It says the Empire Builder will arrive in Portland at 11:17am, which makes it seem like the connection would be impossible or not guaranteed because surely the EB will be late, perhaps by five hours when I looked up arrival/departure times.

My understanding is that Thruway busses are supposed to wait for trains even when they are very late, but this bus seems to board riders that aren't just train passengers, though I'm not completely sure about that. It says It's a Cascades Point bus contracted by Amtrak.

All this has me very confused because I'm not sure if I should reserve the tickets with that Thruway connection, or only book the Empire builder to Portland and reserve a different bus that runs later in the evening (like Greyhound or flixbus)

I just don't want to end up stranded in Portland for the night. I don't have the funds for an overnight stay, and I would like the transition from Portland to Corvallis to be as stress free as possible.

I hope this all made sense, lol, thank you for any guidance on this

I'm quite new to riding Amtrak trains (only been in them a handful of times going to/from Chicago - which I loved)

I'm planning a long trip from Southern Illinois to Corvallis, Oregon.

Riding the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland seems simple enough, but I'm very confused about shuttle service from Portland to Corvallis.

When I try to book a one-way trip on the Amtrak site, it gives me a Thruway connection that leaves Portland at 12:00pm (with arrival in Albany and then a layover and transfer to Corvallis). It says the Empire Builder will arrive in Portland at 11:17am, which makes it seem like the connection would be impossible or not guaranteed because surely the EB will be late, perhaps by five hours when I looked up arrival/departure times.

My understanding is that Thruway busses are supposed to wait for trains even when they are very late, but this bus seems to board riders that aren't just train passengers, though I'm not completely sure about that. It says It's a Cascades Point bus contracted by Amtrak.

All this has me very confused because I'm not sure if I should reserve the tickets with that Thruway connection, or only book the Empire builder to Portland and reserve a different bus that runs later in the evening (like Greyhound or flixbus)

I just don't want to end up stranded in Portland for the night. I don't have the funds for an overnight stay, and I would like the transition from Portland to Corvallis to be as stress free as possible.

I hope this all made sense, lol, thank you for any guidance on this
Believe it or not the empire builder can often arrive Portland early.

As long as the two segments are booked together on the same ticket, Amtrak can put you on a later train or bus if you miss the connection. The buses are never sold out.

From Portland to Corvallis Train 11, the Coast Starlight at 2:22 p.m. is the back-up for your noon bus connection. After that, there is another train and more buses to Albany and with a through ticket to Corvallis, Amtrak should arrange a cab ride for that last segment. (Below, one of the Portland - Salem - Albany - Eugene Thruway buses stopping in Salem.)

There also is a Greyhound from Portland to Corvallis, with no transfer required, at 7:50 p.m. There is a Flixbus at 7:30 p.m., with no transfer required.

P1050368.JPG

Back