Thurmond WV: the most beautiful small station on Amtrak's network

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unitedstatesfan

Train Attendant
There is a stunningly beautiful photo on TripAdvisor's website of the Thurmond railway station (depot) with the double track main line in the foreground and what looks to be a single track branch line disappearing over a picturesque bridge into the distance. All rails are shiny indicating regular use.

The station also looks very attractive. It is served by 'The Cardinal' three days a week, with an overnight trip from Chicago possible in a sleeper each way if one wanted to spend the day at a 'ghost town' type location. It reminds me of Walhalla, Victoria, Australia.

Is this the most scenic, unstaffed small station on Amtrak's national network? I have not been there.

In 2015 according to the NARP rail website, 295 passengers either alighted or boarded at Thurston which given that there is 'double counting' means an average of approximately one passenger a train (156 'Cardinals', 295 divided by two),

Last edited by a moderator:
I too like Prince better.....it's more Art Deco or MCM than the classic C&O Thumond station.

I live about an hour from Thurmond and have been there on the train and rail fanning by car.

Prince is actually manned on train days too!!!

Looking forward to my Amtrak trip beginning in Seattle next Saturday the 20th and ending back in Seattle on the 30th. Among other things I will get to see the Chemult station (twice!) ;) and the West Virginia stations as part of the trip involves traveling on the Coast Starlight both southbound and northbound and the Cardinal between Chicago and Charlottesville.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to my Amtrak trip beginning in Seattle next Saturday the 20th and ending back in Seattle on the 30th. Among other things I will get to see the Chemult station (twice!) ;) and the West Virginia stations as part of the trip involves traveling on the Coast Starlight both southbound and northbound and the Cardinal between Chicago and Charlottesville.
Nice trip! What is your destination in the East?

JayPea, great to see individuals like you supporting Amtrak. If you could post a trip report after your return that would be great, particularly if you can let us know what patronage was like on The Cardinal.

Nice trip! What is your destination in the East?
This is one of those "riding the train for the sake of riding the train" trips.

1) CS from Seattle to Sacramento

2) CZ from Sacramento to Chicago

3) Cardinal from Chicago to Charlottesville

4) Crescent from Charlottesville to New Orleans

Two nights, one day in New Orleans

5) SL from New Orleans to Los Angeles

6) CS from Los Angeles to Seattle

I am as per usual traveling with my uncle using a combination of his AGR points, my AGR points, and cash. Our last trip under AGR 1.0 so we decided to do it in grand style :lol:

JayPea, great to see individuals like you supporting Amtrak. If you could post a trip report after your return that would be great, particularly if you can let us know what patronage was like on The Cardinal.
Will do. I am particularly interested in the Cardinal as I have never ridden it. For me after this trip the Silver Star and the AutoTrain will be the only long distance trains I haven't ridden yet and the AutoTrain is impractical as I live in the Pacific Northwest. And unitedstatesfan, I enjoy Amtrak and will continue to do so, service cuts notwithstanding. I want to travel while I am still young (at heart, anyway ;) ) and seeing America from Amtrak is the best way I know how.

Thurmond, WV was formerly a Flag Stop. It is located in a

beautiful area of West Virginia.

I went though there last fall on the Cardinal, my trip-of-a-lifetime, and it is indeed that attractive!

It certainly edges out my home station of Chemult, Oregon.
You're leaving out the actual station building, a grand piece of architecture across the street from the actual platforms.
:blush: :giggle: :p Well, the new Chemult station sure beats out the OLD station and building! I would not even dare to mention that on the same page as that beautiful Thurmond station!

Thurmond from a few years ago

ROLL2033_zpsjxei7jgc.jpg

My favorite part of Thurmond is the town hall on the other side of the tracks that looks like and is a concrete block shed.
West Virginia -- not just to ride through, but to visit, has been on my bucket list for 20 years. Ain't got there yet.

First ride-through on the Cardinal was back when there were Slumbercoaches.

There's so much to see and so many people to meet with. Maybe next year.

My favorite part of Thurmond is the town hall on the other side of the tracks that looks like and is a concrete block shed.
West Virginia -- not just to ride through, but to visit, has been on my bucket list for 20 years. Ain't got there yet.

First ride-through on the Cardinal was back when there were Slumbercoaches.

There's so much to see and so many people to meet with. Maybe next year.
I moved back to West Virginia in 2002 and never looked back. If you ever get a chance to visit us drop me a note.......I have tons of places to see and things to do!! thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back