Quantcast

Ticket counters not accepting cash?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
Amtrak is not a party in the car attendant "tips" transaction, so I doubt it has an opinion on the matter. It is upto the attendant . whatever he/she wants. Maybe some prefer Bitcoin, who knows? :D
I would absolutely love it if I could paypal or Venmo my attendant. I hate keeping up with cash just for tips and have been known to order wine in the dining car just so I can tip on my credit card! Haha

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
In FL, E-ZPass only works on roads in the Orlando area that are managed by the local Expressway Authority (E-PASS). It still won't work on roads elsewhere in the state, or on those in the Orlando area that are managed by the Turnpike Enterprise (SunPass). They keep saying they're working on it, but the promised dates keep slipping by with no change. Many toll roads in the Orlando area have some sections that are E-PASS and others that are SunPass, on the same road.

The currently offered portable E-PASS transponder, called UNI, works on both SunPass & out-of-state E-ZPass roads.
I just use a SunPass in Florida. E Pass and SunPass are interoperable, i.e. they work on each others territory. I have no reason to get yet another EZ Pass or equivalent, since I have my original from when I lived up north.

bms

Lead Service Attendant
Usually when I buy from the Cafe Car, the LSA rings up my Amtrak Mastercard and there's no place to tip. I give a dollar if I have one and there's a cash tip area, but it's certainly happened that I was coming back from the West Coast and didn't have cash on me.

Other times, I order from the LSA and do tip on the card, so I'm not sure why it is different from trip to trip.