Ticket issued without points deducted?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnrider

Train Attendant
I tried making a reservation on the Amtrak website (logged in with my account) using points. After clicking on 'purchase', it took a long time to process the transaction. Eventually, it went back to the previous screen with an error message. The puzzling thing is that I received an email with the e-ticket issued. I logged back into my account and no points had been deducted, but the reservation was in 'upcoming trips'. Feeling uneasy about this, I then cancelled the reservation and will try again later. Throughout all of this, there were no points transactions showing in my account.

I tried making a reservation on the Amtrak website (logged in with my account) using points. After clicking on 'purchase', it took a long time to process the transaction. Eventually, it went back to the previous screen with an error message. The puzzling thing is that I received an email with the e-ticket issued. I logged back into my account and no points had been deducted, but the reservation was in 'upcoming trips'. Feeling uneasy about this, I then cancelled the reservation and will try again later. Throughout all of this, there were no points transactions showing in my account.
Had that happen a couple years ago. LAX>CHI sleeper. We got the ticket/reservation and took the trip. I was constantly re-checking ticket status/validity until time for the trip.
No points were ever deducted.

Last edited:
Had that happen a couple years ago. LAX>CHI sleeper. We got the ticket/reservation and took the trip. I was constantly re-checking ticket status/validity until time for the trip.
No points ever deducted.
My concern is that it wouldn't be a valid ticket. When I checked the e-ticket receipt, it showed points used as 'null'.

My concern is that it wouldn't be a valid ticket. When I checked the e-ticket receipt, it showed points used as 'null'.
I did share your concerns as well.
In our case, the ticket was always displayed in the app and online as an upcoming trip. I could even just search by res number and last name and it would come up.

Back