Timekeeping on 19/20

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 2 maybe 3 (SL) trains in one day in Nola all of which will spend the night.
19/20 is not a SL train and turns every night on a pretty tight schedule. The Sunset, which is a SL train spends the night on the 3 days per week it operates.. CONO is a Superliner trains and spends the night every night.Keep in mind that WAS has many more employees than NOL.

Most of the time, trains terminating at NOL are wyed and backed in for arrival.
I think they were referring to the acronym for the sunset limited, not superliner.

We have 2 maybe 3 (SL) trains in one day in Nola all of which will spend the night.
19/20 is not a SL train and turns every night on a pretty tight schedule. The Sunset, which is a SL train spends the night on the 3 days per week it operates.. CONO is a Superliner trains and spends the night every night.Keep in mind that WAS has many more employees than NOL.

I think they were referring to the acronym for the sunset limited, not superliner.
Yes I meant sunset limited

Yes I meant sunset limited
Thanks for the clarification.

Keep in mind that WAS has many more employees than NOL.
Again, this is obvious since....they have more trains.

19/20 is not a SL train and turns every night on a pretty tight schedule. The Sunset, which is a SL train spends the night on the 3 days per week it operates.. CONO is a Superliner trains and spends the night every night.
While the turn is tight (particularly with the modified schedules), if the Sunset is not in the picture, the crew that turns 20 for 19 doesn't have a heck of a lot to do until the train arrives. If it arrives at 3AM, what trains other trains are they prepping to depart? On the other hand, at 5pm in WAS, they've already begun work on next day departures at 3:15am, and 5am and are still working on current day departures at 6p, 6:05p, 7p and 7:10p. The are also prepping the add-ons for the 8:30p departure. This still doesn't include the commuter trains that are surging through the area, hogging the wye (since coach yard leads to the short leg of the wye in addition to the two VRE trains that actually occupy the wye) that 20 would to use.

So while you're statement is probably true, there is a valid reason for WAS not being able to turn a train as quickly. They don't have crews sitting around with little to do until their train arrives.

Back