Timetables/Flag Stops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The printout from Schedules looks better than in the earlier days. Though they do need to change the 9 squares icon to a printer icon so you know what it does.

CHI-SEA_Schedule.jpgCHI-SEA_Schedule_pg2.jpg

Though they do need to change the 9 squares icon to a printer icon so you know it's there.

The old timetables (remember those?) used to show flag stops, which meant that the train would not stop unless there was a passenger to pick up or discharge.

Last October 2021, I didn't expect the Cardinal to stop in Thurmond WV. It did stop (barely) and the conductor told us that the flag stops are now full stops, due to Positive Train Control. Anyone hear the same thing?

Which brings me to my next question. A few years ago, we got off (and a few days later reboarded) the EB in East Glacier Park in September, just before the Lodge was preparing to close for the season. The station staff said they man the station in Browning MT during the off season. It was my understanding that this was the only station pair in the system that did this. My second question is: are those now permanent separate stops thanks to PTC, or does East Glacier still get bypassed in favor of Browning during the off season?

The old timetables (remember those?) used to show flag stops, which meant that the train would not stop unless there was a passenger to pick up or discharge.

Last October 2021, I didn't expect the Cardinal to stop in Thurmond WV. It did stop (barely) and the conductor told us that the flag stops are now full stops, due to Positive Train Control. Anyone hear the same thing?

Which brings me to my next question. A few years ago, we got off (and a few days later reboarded) the EB in East Glacier Park in September, just before the Lodge was preparing to close for the season. The station staff said they man the station in Browning MT during the off season. It was my understanding that this was the only station pair in the system that did this. My second question is: are those now permanent separate stops thanks to PTC, or does East Glacier still get bypassed in favor of Browning during the off season?
When I rode the EB in March, we passed East Glacier at speed and did not stop.

I have ridden the Pennsylvanian multiple times. There are two flag stops, Tyrone and Latrobe, on that route. In all the times I’ve ridden it, the Pennsylvanian has stopped at both every single trip. Perhaps there just were boardings or departures booked for those stations on all my trips; I cannot rule that out, so take it for what it’s worth.

The Sunset Ltd. now Stops in both directions @ Sanderson,TX, which used to be a Flag Stop until the old SP Station was torn down and a Platform of sorts was Constructed.( it used to be a Gravel Road )

Since verifiable info isn't available from Amtrak as to actual Flag Stops, I'm wondering if there's any real Flag Stops left on the LD Routes?

The Sunset Ltd. now Stops in both directions @ Sanderson,TX, which used to be a Flag Stop until the old SP Station was torn down and a Platform of sorts was Constructed.( it used to be a Gravel Road )

Since verifiable info isn't available from Amtrak as to actual Flag Stops, I'm wondering if there's any real Flag Stops left on the LD Routes?
Looking at a March 2020 schedule from Amtrak, the showed NO flag stops. Don't have any older schedules to look at to try and determine when they "went away". Maybe they just don't put that symbol on the printed schedules anymore.
IIRC Benson, AZ was a flag stop also.
I'll have to try and remember to observe and note such stops when I'm on the SL in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
OK, just found a copy of the "Amtrak System Timetable" effective January 11, 2016. You know, the big printed one Amtrak used to publish. That timetable has the flag stop symbol for Sanderson, Deming, Lordsburg and Benson on the SL route.
The only flag stop on the EB in 2016 was Essex (Izaak Walton Inn).

OK, just found a copy of the "Amtrak System Timetable" effective January 11, 2016. You know, the big printed one Amtrak used to publish. That timetable has the flag stop symbol for Sanderson, Deming, Lordsburg and Benson on the SL route.
The only flag stop on the EB in 2016 was Essex (Izaak Walton Inn).

My copy of that 2016 printed timetable will remain in my possession until it's pried from my cold, dead hands. :)

Even if the departure/arrival times are no longer accurate, it's HUGELY helpful to be able to see the LD network's routes and approximate timing. Why, oh why won't Amtrak at least publish a printed system MAP?

I’ve never heard of PTC enforcing station stops. There are still a number of instances of flag stops on railroads (don’t know about Amtrak specifically), and PTC hasn’t changed that at all.

No. I want them to print it and have it available for passengers to pick up on trains and in stations. This used to be called marketing.
Perhaps not just 'marketing'...IIRC the regulatory bodies, as in ICC or state PUC's used to require railroads to offer printed timetables...
Guess that is 'gone with the wind'....

Know someone who has printed timetables back to 2005 - to lst one. At that 2005 time they were split into two parts one timetable NEC and other LD and other trains.

Back