Timetables returning in September?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
There are a lot of other considerations. Figuring out which services should be presented on a single table, and arranging timetables like the Florida services to be most positively comprehensible, and attaching Thruway bus schedules to the right timetables, is not trivial and probably honestly can't be automated.

It can be done by one person in a few hours though.
Indeed! It is generating the templates for each page that requires manual intervention. Once the templates are done, if done right, then they can be auto populated from the timetable database, again if done right.

It can actually be a very significant effort to create human friendly templates showing things like Thruway connections, in a user friendly way. Doing just a mindless route dump is much easier, specially when the route has precisely one train :)

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
According to a report in the latest issue of Trains Magazine (December 2021), timetables will be returning with a target date of the end of 2021. The work is part of the "timetable automation project" that will produce downloadable and printable documents that will "replicate legacy route timetables" but will be populated with the stations, trains and times in that are in the Arrow CRS at the time of the request. The timetables will be dynamically generated and will include up-to-date connecting Thruway services.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I doubt that the templates will be dynamically generated though. But populating from CRS is definitely the way to go. Someone has to create those stylesheets, or at least write a data driven stylesheet generator of some sort, for the thing to work and especially be user friendly though.

me_little_me

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
According to a report in the latest issue of Trains Magazine (December 2021), timetables will be returning with a target date of the end of 2021. The work is part of the "timetable automation project" that will produce downloadable and printable documents that will "replicate legacy route timetables" but will be populated with the stations, trains and times in that are in the Arrow CRS at the time of the request. The timetables will be dynamically generated and will include up-to-date connecting Thruway services.
But is this being done by Amtrak or by volunteers on this site? And, if by Amtrak, it's unfortunate that someone here didn't copyright it first! :)

I also contacted Amtrak via email about 2 weeks ago and questioned them about the return of the printed Timetables. Personally I poured over them for planning purposes for connections to other trains, dining cars, car rentals, hotels, station facilities & parking, etc. They seem to have the mistaken belief that *everyone* knows exactly where they are boarding and where their destination ends, and have no need to know anything else whatsoever.

Here is the reply they sent me 2 weeks ago:

Dear [me],

Thank you for contacting us.

We are in the process of automating timetables and have discontinued traditional PDF timetables. We apologize for any inconvenience while the new solution is being implemented.

In the meantime, you can view our schedules on Amtrak.com through the “Schedules” tab. Simply enter in your Origin and Destination and click the “Find Schedules” button. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245), 24/7, should you need assistance. Press '0' to speak with an Amtrak reservations agent.

We look forward to serving you aboard Amtrak.

Sincerely,

Amtrak