Tips for sleeping well on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice is to arrive stressed and exhausted when you board your train. You'll sleep soundly no matter what. If you arrive unstressed and rested... then look out of your window, check train progress on your phone, text your friends, and try to stay awake as long as possible. It won't work and you'll get some rest.

I never sleep well the first night out no matter whether a train, plane, hotel, tent, someone's home etc. The train is especially bad because of the late night stops and passengers moving around, talking, banging luggage against stuff, and so on. What really gets me is traveling on routes with double main tracks when my room is on the inside of the ROW. Meeting a freight train always wakes me up because i'm paranoid about the freight derailing or us striking a shifted load. Bottom line for me is drink enough adult beverage that I am more passed out than fallen asleep!

I used to be good at sleeping in transit and completed many trips where I slept the majority of time between departure and arrival. Unfortunately substantially reduced travel over the last few years has made sleeping in a transitory location feel odd and vaguely uncomfortable again.

Last edited:
Haven't tried this on Amtrak yet, but the hubby & I always pack Tylenol PM in the toiletry kit when we've booked a hotel stay (or even when we're spending the weekend at my mom's house in Wisconsin). The hubby always has trouble sleeping away from home, and the Tylenol PM helps with that. (It also makes a decent substitute for cold medicine at bedtime, as the sleep aid in Tylenol PM is essentially an antihistamine.)

Bring your own pillow and blanket. An eye mask! For me, I was too curious about where I was to sleep! I had to get outside at every stop, I really enjoyed the he'll out of my time on the train! Rochester NY to Seattle! I just didn't want to miss anything! I slept great first night off of the train!!!

1. Quiet: SOFT foam earplugs.
2. Dark: Sleep mask with raised foam edges to take the pressure off your eyeballs
3. Your own pillow that you are used to.
Lotta nights in Superliner sleepers the last decade, none in Viewliners yet. Quite a few coach also.
Coach: As others offered, in coach get creative with whatever opportunistic padding you have brought. Down vests are great, stuff sack or pillowcase can help contain items to useful dimensions. Neck pillows. I'm thin, so I actually find the seat bottom of a the old Superliner coaches too thin and do better with extra padding under my bottom. I do OK for one night in coach, but if more than 1 night I spring for a sleeper if at all possible and affordable (sometimes it just isn't....). In winter, bring extra outerwear so you are prepared for a "travel adventure". It happens. The extra clothing can be put to good use for padding. Don't check all those extra layers, keep a few handy.

I always pack Tylenol PM in the toiletry kit when we've booked a hotel stay (or even when we're spending the weekend at my mom's house in Wisconsin).
I did this too but I developed a strong negative reaction to diphenhydramine as a result. I have since changed to melatonin (start sleep) and valerian root (stay asleep) with no ill effects for several years.

I did this too but I developed a strong negative reaction to diphenhydramine as a result. I have since changed to melatonin (start sleep) and valerian root (stay asleep) with no ill effects for several years.
I've heard that ginger chews (sold in the candy section at Tuesday Morning, and probably on Amazon, too) can help with motion sickness (and maybe upset tummies, too?).

Taking a Shower before bed is helpful also for some folks.

This. The queue for the shower can be long in the morning...probably because that's when most riders shower at home and they're creatures of habit? But for us trainfans, that's a time when we could be sipping coffee and watching the landscape pass by. Better to shower at night, avoid the queues, and not waste any scenery. Bonus is that a hot or warm shower an hour or two before bed is documented to improve sleep.

I always bring along one (or two) little door stops (a plastic wedge type doorstop). It is only about six inches long and no more than 3 inches in height at the larger end. It helps tremendously in countering door rattles (in a roomette or bedroom). The door rattles can be disturbing. The wedge will fit in my shaving kit and helps me to get better unisturbed sleep. Hope this helps.

Valerian root gives some people nightmares. American skullcap (scutellaria lateriflora) tastes better and has much the same mild sedative effect as valerian, without that possible side effect. It's also considered a nervous system tonic that increases resiliency.

I like a nighttime tea with skullcap leaf and flower, milky oat tops, lemon balm leaf, nettle leaf, and peppermint leaf. The mints in the tea help with digestion too--something to be considered with Amtrak food in combination with moving train.

Valerian root gives some people nightmares. American skullcap (scutellaria lateriflora) tastes better and has much the same mild sedative effect as valerian, without that possible side effect. It's also considered a nervous system tonic that increases resiliency.
I recommend buying valerian tablets instead of capsules to avoid the taste. I never had problems with nightmares but I use valerian less than melatonin because I tend to stay asleep unless traveling. Any sleep aid has the potential to influence dreams and in my case muscle relaxers are the group to avoid.

I like a nighttime tea with skullcap leaf and flower, milky oat tops, lemon balm leaf, nettle leaf, and peppermint leaf. The mints in the tea help with digestion too--something to be considered with Amtrak food in combination with moving train.
I like peppermint tea but by the time I realize I need help falling asleep hot water might be scarce. I guess that's why some folks bring small kettles and immersion rods on their trips.

I don't have problems sleeping in a sleeper, but coach can be difficult. In addition to the eye mask and blanket suggestions already listed, on my most recent trip I accidentally discovered a sleeping posture that somehow really helped me fall asleep, but I don't know if it would help others, but could be worth a try. I assumed the cross-armed position like a Pharoah holding a crook and flail with the chair eased down just a bit (not all the way) and with my feet on the floor without the legrest being extended.

I assumed the cross-armed position like a Pharoah holding a crook and flail
That just gave me flashbacks to my kids' CCD classes, where they all learned a song which told "Pharoah, Pharoah, oh baby, let my people go". (I'd probably have that song stuck in my head if I were trying to sleep in coach now!) ;)

I always wear comfy clothes, I never take them off at night as I am paranoid about being caught inflagrante if we gets into trouble.
I use blutak for my ears instead of ear plugs, swimmers putty is also better.
I take an antihistamine before I go to bed also. I don't drink.
Generally this is all it akes for me to get lulled to sleep, after the first night I am set, first night I generally only sleep 5-6 hours, although that depends on the amount of travel lag I have.
Coming from OS means I have to limit the options, I generally have 2 small inflatable pillows I use to prop myself as I sleep on my side and they help any jostling from disturbing me too much.

I have never been afraid of hard work ... in fact, I can sit down next it and go right to sleep
LOL! I've had some late nights and early mornings at work. In some cases there were a few hours of downtime and no problem sleeping in a meeting room if you wanted. Unfortunately if I try to sleep at work my body will shake itself awake involuntarily, even in the middle of the night with nobody around. As a kid I could sleep anywhere anytime. Even really uncomfortable locations were no impediment. 😴

Back