Tips/ideas first time retired couple

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<snip>sewage smells; not continuously, but maybe for an hour or so from time to time.

Oh yes,
A package of Febreze Car Odor-Eliminating Air Fresheners
I usually crack 2 and clip onto the room air vent and it seems to work well, even if you’re unfortunate to get a smelly car. I see this on Eagle a lot but not Zephyr).

cheers,

Oh yes,
A package of Febreze Car Odor-Eliminating Air Fresheners
I usually crack 2 and clip onto the room air vent and it seems to work well, even if you’re unfortunate to get a smelly car. I see this on Eagle a lot but not Zephyr).

cheers,
Many people are allergic to the chemicals in Febreze. By using it, you may cause the passengers around you (or in the room after you) to become ill. Natural deodorizers are better for the environment and for your fellow passengers.

Many people are allergic to the chemicals in Febreze. By using it, you may cause the passengers around you (or in the room after you) to become ill. Natural deodorizers are better for the environment and for your fellow passengers.

... after repeated trips with smells on the Eagle "Superliner I" car, got the idea from seeing the SCA place these same Febreze in the shared bathrooms. It covers the smell well. But regarding all natural, I can't argue the point and have no problem shopping amazon for an all natural air freshener for all future trips. Thanks for concern. I'll remain silent about the ones in the shared bathroom and let someone else bring it to their attention. 🧐
Cheers,

The Viewliner I wheelchair-accessible bedroom is fantastic because the beds are regular size, the bathroom is large (wheelchair-accommodating) and has a shower, there are 2 double-wide windows, one above the other and also a window on the aisle side that is across from an outer window, the upper berth has a nice ladder (none in the Superliner room), and there's a full sofa rather than two narrow facing seats.

I realize cars can be bad ordered from time to time, but I'm wondering if all the sleepers have been refurbished to the more modern paneling and black granit sinks on the cars generally used on the Zephyr.

I realize cars can be bad ordered from time to time, but I'm wondering if all the sleepers have been refurbished to the more modern paneling and black granit sinks on the cars generally used on the Zephyr.
Those are the refurbished Superliner Is. They can pretty much appear on any Superliner trains. In the past there was a slightly higher chance of getting them on the Empire Builder. COVID has scrambled everything. So for now it is probably almost even chance of whether one gets a refurbished Superliner I or an unrefurbished Superliner II.

Incidentally, the Superliners are soon going into a refurbishment program so things will change again soon. The Viewliner Is are also going in for refurbishment soon. Both are apparently funded.

Incidentally, the Superliners are soon going into a refurbishment program so things will change again soon. The Viewliner Is are also going in for refurbishment soon. Both are apparently funded.
I'm very curious as to how they will turn out.

I'm very curious as to how they will turn out.
The refurb is supposed to be of the same sort that was done on the Amfleets. So upholstry will be changed completely as well as carpets, and the toilets will get considerable attention. I don't know and have not heard anything about plans for treatment of wall panels in Sleepers. I suspect that the Diners and SSLs will stay as is. I also wonder what color schemes they will use in the Sleepers. The Coaches for all you know might be similar to the Amfleets making them much brighter.

The refurb is supposed to be of the same sort that was done on the Amfleets. So upholstry will be changed completely as well as carpets, and the toilets will get considerable attention. I don't know and have not heard anything about plans for treatment of wall panels in Sleepers. I suspect that the Diners and SSLs will stay as is. I also wonder what color schemes they will use in the Sleepers. The Coaches for all you know might be similar to the Amfleets making them much brighter.
I really hope the Superliner II's get upgraded to match the I's. Would be nice to actually be able to use the sinks without getting water all over the place.

One more question. Considering a handicap room, accessible as it's labeled. What are the pros and cons of being in an accessible room as opposed to a bedroom? I know there's not a shower in the accessible room, but what might make it better, or not?
Even though we had booked a roomette, about a week prior to our trip, we were informed by Amtrak that we would be riding in an accessible bedroom (on the SWC, in our case). I loved all the extra room, but the pot did smell a bit. The adjacent bathrooms didn't seem to be used very much, so there wasn't extra noise or smell from that. We were pretty isolated, so I felt free to dig out my flute from my suitcase and played fairly extensively without worrying about disturbing anyone. However, I have never been in a bedroom on Amtrak, so can't really do comparisons.

Back