To boldly go ---- to the ends of New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, their mail order service is excellent, with free shipping on orders over$49
Although it's $99 to Canada, that's an unbelievably good deal since they manage their own brokerage (customs) and have an exclusive contract with a Canadian courier. This results in great shipping times on top of their superior inventory and pricing. If you represent a church, charity or non-profit their service is even better.

The B&H schedule is always available on their website....What is interesting, and something I respect, if the store is closed for a particular holiday where commerce is prohibited, the website will let you browse, but will not accept payment until the holiday ends.
Being that the company is owned by Orthodox Jews, they're what's known as "shomer shabbos," which means they're closed Friday evening and Saturday, (as well as Jewish holidays) and they're hardcore about it in that they don't even take online payment then. They're also closed on public holidays like Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc., though I couldn't tell whether online payments are accepted. (There's no religious reason why they shouldn't be.) They're also closed for a number of Jewish holidays (Tisha B'Av, Purim, but they're open during Chanukah) that, technically, there's no religious objection to conducting business. Again, it's not clear whether they take online orders on those days.

If they are closed for a holiday that takes place over a period of time (like Passover) , payment is only locked out on the days where it is required by religious observance. The in between days, the store may be closed, but they will take orders, but they may have a note that they will not be shipped until the holiday ends, allowing them to take the whole week off, including the warehouse in Florence, NJ. They will be open on Memorial Day and July 4th on this years calendar. I am about a mile from an orthodox neighborhood, many Shomer Shabbat establishments, but it is a "modern orthodox" not Hasidic community.

Great trip report! Loved seeing Moynihan Train Hall. It was interesting seeing Staten Island too and your experiences with SIR. If I ever go there I'll have to try that coffee house you went too.

Looking at the photo of the closed ticket counter at the old Penn Station almost makes me sad to see it go. I know old Penn Station itself will still be around, but seeing Amtrak's decreased presence in the station almost makes me sad in a way. Maybe it's because I grew up with old Penn Station (I wasn't alive when the original Penn Station was around) or maybe I just miss New York and traveling in general. Still, Moynihan Train Hall looks better than old Penn Station and I really want to see it for myself the next time I am in New York.

I had to make a trip to NY to take care of some DMV business, before changing my CDL to a Florida license, so I finally got to see the new hall. I was going to take the Meteor, using an Amtrak voucher from my last Amtrak trip for payment, but decided to hold off on that until full traditional diner service is restored.
Instead, I flew (standby) from Palm Beach International, with a change in Charlotte, to Philadelphia. I then boarded a SEPTA regional train to 30th Street Station, and enjoyed a hoagie sandwich, while thoroughly exploring all corners of that beautiful station. I then boarded another SEPTA regional for the ride up to Trenton. In doing so, I covered a tiny bit of 'new mileage' for me...the line from the upper level of the station down to the NEC mainline.

Upon reaching Trenton, I had just missed the NJT train to NY, so took the opportunity to thoroughly explore the Trenton station inside and out, including the River Line light rail station across the street. Then it was on to the next NJT train to New York. We arrived on Track 10. I walked the full length of the platform, to the west end, before finally riding the new escalator up to the new hall. First impression was, wow! It looks even better in person, than the photo's I have seen. So I then thoroughly explored every corner of the new hall, and was very impressed. It will be even nicer when they complete the retail section towards Ninth Avenue.

I then went back into the old section of the station, also exploring the Post Office, which was under major renovation, as was the LIRR corridor. It was very nostalgic for me too, having worked there between 1989 and 1994. And having taking trains from there since 1967. And having first visited there since 1954.
Seen the station in so many iterations....

Anyway, I then caught an LIRR Port Washington train to Murray Hill, where my cousin picked me up. Four days later, I flew home from LaGuardia, entering thru the brand new Terminal B, but going thru a labyrinth of passageways to the old D Concourse to board my flight....:)

Last edited:
I have more to say about the Metropolitan Lounge in my other post that gave my first impressions. As I said, this is the nicest lounge in the Amtrak system. Even though there are online complaints about the free food being served, I has pleased with the fruit cup I got to supplement my on-train breakfast omelet and a latte and a bottle of Saratoga water to keep my hydrated.

View attachment 21732

For people who have Select Plus who are traveling in coach or business class, the food selection is actually OK and one could get a few things that would make a better meal than the cafe car fare. In addition to the fruit cup, they have hard-boiled eggs, a couple of salads, some "pinwheels" (small wrap sandwiches) and chips and pastries, as well as jars of penny candy. They have bottles of upscale sodas and coffees and related hot drinks (like the latte.) I enjoyed sitting on the "outside" terrace overlooking the main train hall.

Of course, I didn't come this far just to sit in the Metropolitan Lounge. It was time to head out and reach my ultimate goal -- the far end of Staten Island, the southernmost point in New York (City or State), a beach located in Conference House Park in Tottenville.

To get there, I had to leave this bright new train hall, and make my way through the old Penn Station to the 7th Avenue Subway, where I would take the 1 train to South Ferry, then the Staten Island Ferry to St. George, and then the Staten Island Railway to Tottenville. Fromm there it was a 1.2 mile walk.

View attachment 21733

You have to go downstairs to the "new" West End Concourse, then walk past the entrance to the 8th Avenue Subway, around a corner, and then you're in the Long Island Railroad concourse. It's now under renovation, and all the shops and food outlets that usually line this hallway are gone, replaced by low ceilings and the noise of construction. There are signs promising great improvements when it's all done, though.

View attachment 21734

Here's a new escalator coming in off 34th St. that wasn't here when I passed by last September.

After a quick ride on the subway (everybody was wearing masks), I ended up at the South Ferry station, rebuilt after Superstorm Sandy. A quick walk over to the Staten Island Ferry terminal, and after a relatively short wait I boarded the S.I. Newhouse for for my ride across the 5 miles of Upper New York Bay to St. George.

View attachment 21736
The S. I. Newhouse, just before discharging passengers.

View attachment 21737
NYPD is chasing our boat!

View attachment 21738

The famous scenic skyline of . . . Jersey City.

View attachment 21739
Ellis Island
View attachment 21740
Statue of Liberty
View attachment 21741
Another ferry, not sure where it was going. It left Governor's Island, but was headed for Brooklyn.

View attachment 21742

Finally approaching St. George after a 25 minute cruise.

More to come.
The trip from Penn Station to St George is my every day trip! :D The Newhouse/Barberi are my favorite boats, too. Lucky day for you!!

I had to make a trip to NY to take care of some DMV business, before changing my CDL to a Florida license, so I finally got to see the new hall. I was going to take the Meteor, using an Amtrak voucher from my last Amtrak trip for payment, but decided to hold off on that until full traditional diner service is restored.
Instead, I flew (standby) from Palm Beach International, with a change in Charlotte, to Philadelphia. I then boarded a SEPTA regional train to 30th Street Station, and enjoyed a hoagie sandwich, while thoroughly exploring all corners of that beautiful station. I then boarded another SEPTA regional for the ride up to Trenton. In doing so, I covered a tiny bit of 'new mileage' for me...the line from the upper level of the station down to the NEC mainline.

Upon reaching Trenton, I had just missed the NJT train to NY, so took the opportunity to thoroughly explore the Trenton station inside and out, including the River Line light rail station across the street. Then it was on to the next NJT train to New York. We arrived on Track 10. I walked the full length of the platform, to the west end, before finally riding the new escalator up to the new hall. First impression was, wow! It looks even better in person, than the photo's I have seen. So I then thoroughly explored every corner of the new hall, and was very impressed. It will be even nicer when they complete the retail section towards Ninth Avenue.

I then went back into the old section of the station, also exploring the Post Office, which was under major renovation, as was the LIRR corridor. It was very nostalgic for me too, having worked there between 1989 and 1994. And having taking trains from there since 1967. And having first visited there since 1954.
Seen the station in so many iterations....

Anyway, I then caught an LIRR Port Washington train to Murray Hill, where my cousin picked me up. Four days later, I flew home from LaGuardia, entering thru the brand new Terminal B, but going thru a labyrinth of passageways to the old D Concourse to board my flight....:)
AKA: The Cheap Route to New York! 😄😉

AKA: The Cheap Route to New York! 😄😉
I guess one day when everything is running normally, I'll have to try the MARC to Perryville, connecting bus to Newark (Del.), SEPTA to 30th St.,, Another SEPTA, 30th st. to Trenton, and NJT Trenton to New York. I know it will be cheaper than Amtrak, but I wonder how long the trip will take.

I guess one day when everything is running normally, I'll have to try the MARC to Perryville, connecting bus to Newark (Del.), SEPTA to 30th St.,, Another SEPTA, 30th st. to Trenton, and NJT Trenton to New York. I know it will be cheaper than Amtrak, but I wonder how long the trip will take.
I did it once, Mystic River Dragon told me I was in Mortal Danger in Trenton ( and on the River Line to Camden), but if definitely was Cheaper than Amtrak.( took around 7 Hours, but I ate in 30th Street, and looked around the various Stations as railiner did, plus Connections arent synched that well!

Still an interesting "Day Trip!"

Maybe by then the station at Newark, DE will be completed and MARC will be running up this way. ;)

I did it once, Mystic River Dragon told me I was in Mortal Danger in Trenton ( and on the River Line to Camden), but if definitely was Cheaper than Amtrak.( took around 7 Hours, but I ate in 30th Street, and looked around the various Stations as railiner did, plus Connections arent synched that well!

Still an interesting "Day Trip!"
Using the PATCO from Philly to Camden, and then the River Line to Trenton, might even be cheaper than SEPTA. And changing from NJT to PATH at Newark might also save a little more.
Agreed the connections aren't designed to make such a trip seamless...

Dunno. I have done that trip many times. Never felt I was in mortal danger anywhere. Of course one is triggered by the presence of many dark skinned people, that is a different matter 😬 My guess is that the predominant ridership of the River LINE possibly falls in that category as well as possibly people who hang out around Trenton Transportation Center and Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden.

Have you ever tried the Pennsauken shuffle from the River LINE to NJT Atlantic City - Philly service where the connections are even less synchronized, if that is at all possible ;)

Enjoyed your report Joe. Many good memories of our NYP trip, Staten Island Ferry and the SIRR. Hope to get to see the new Moynihan Station in near future. Our first Amtrak post vaccine Covid trip was last week to NY, MA, NH & ME. It was good to get out of Ohio for a few days :)

Dunno. I have done that trip many times. Never felt I was in mortal danger anywhere. Of course one is triggered by the presence of many dark skinned people, that is a different matter 😬 My guess is that the predominant ridership of the River LINE possibly falls in that category as well as possibly people who hang out around Trenton Transportation Center and Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden.

Have you ever tried the Pennsauken shuffle from the River LINE to NJT Atlantic City - Philly service where the connections are even less synchronized, if that is at all possible ;)

Jim was exaggerating when he said I said “mortal danger.” I forget what my exact words were, but they weren’t that strong.

Yes, I feel uncomfortable on the River Line and at Trenton.

Jis, you have met me, and I am shocked that I even have to say this has absolutely nothing to do with color. For example, I love Philadelphia and feel completely safe there. And I ride SEPTA all the time with no concerns.

The people who take the RiverLine are of all colors and many different backgrounds, and I am completely comfortable with that. The train is for everyone—that is one of its good points.

I am uncomfortable because there is no conductor—if anything should go wrong, there is no one on the train to provide information or help.

I am also uncomfortable because the trains do not seem to be kept clean.

I feel uncomfortable in the Trenton train station because of the panhandlers (again, of all colors).

Finally, I do not have the faith in NJT that I have in other transit systems.

Jis, I’m very upset that you would have made such an erroneous assumption about me and hope this post has clarified why I feel uncomfortable on the RiverLine and at Trenton.

I have not been near either for a year because of the pandemic. Perhaps the trains are cleaner now and I will feel better next time I am on one.

Apologies to Mystic River Dragon,jis, and any Jerseyites(?) offended by my joking comments about Trenton,Camden and the River Line.

I,in no way meant to offend any Citizens of the Garden State, but DID mean to comment on the less than ideal operation of NJT.

Anyone who was offended has my sincerest apology, I did not mean to imply anything bad about and Citizens of those places or the riders of NJT!

Using the PATCO from Philly to Camden, and then the River Line to Trenton, might even be cheaper than SEPTA. And changing from NJT to PATH at Newark might also save a little more.
Agreed the connections aren't designed to make such a trip seamless...
Of course, you'd have to use SEPTA for such a trip -- The Market St Subway from 30th St to 8th St. to catch PATCO.

Just saw an Action Kid YouTube on the NYC Ferries that run all up & down the East River. That's something I have to check out on my next trip to NYP. Great views of the skylines, and riding under the bridges, on the open upper deck all for just $2.75.

There is interesting "ferry action" on both the East River and Hudson River. Remember, when the "Miracle on the Hudson" ditching took place a NY Waterway ferry was first on the scene for rescue, and took 143 of the 155 off the plane.

There is interesting "ferry action" on both the East River and Hudson River. Remember, when the "Miracle on the Hudson" ditching took place a NY Waterway ferry was first on the scene for rescue, and took 143 of the 155 off the plane.
In the Tom Hanks movie depicting that amazing rescue, the first NYW ferry on the scene was the Thomas Jefferson. It's captain, one Vince Lombardi, portrayed himself in the film.:cool:

Just saw an Action Kid YouTube on the NYC Ferries that run all up & down the East River. That's something I have to check out on my next trip to NYP. Great views of the skylines, and riding under the bridges, on the open upper deck all for just $2.75.

Sounds cool. Can I trouble you for a link to that service?

I have always enjoyed riding the NY Waterway ferries, though it has always seemed to me that for everyday commuting the Hudson River crossings are a bit pricey. But I guess everything is around NY, except the Staten Island Ferry of course, which is kinda like the Star Ferry in Hong Kong though nowhere near as intense a service.

Back