To Maine by the Silver Star

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, that's a little odd. The Silver Star goes in the other direction, to Florida. But the other day, my wife dropped me off at Penn Station Baltimore so I could get to Washington and drive my Dad up to the cabin. (He can still drive, but we're a little leery of him doing a 660 mile drive all by himself. Turns out the most convenient train for my schedule was the Silver Star, so that's what I rode.

I got a chance to see the renovation work they're doing at Baltimore Penn. The entire historic building is covered in scaffolding. I'm not sure what they're going to do, I suspect it's probably just cleaning it off and fixing stuff, as the reports I've read say that the old station will be preserved. I'm not sure whether they've started work on the new part of the station where the parking not now exists. The certainly haven't cut through to the concourse. When we got down to the platform, we could see the construction work where they're building the new platform with 2 new tracks.

20220628_140156.jpg

Given that the 4 existing tracks service the station pretty well with existing service, there must be plans afoot for even more frequent NEC and MARC service in the future.

Finally, the "Super-Star" appears around the bend.

20220628_140348.jpg

Yep, it was a pretty long train, though I didn't get to see how many sleepers there were and the split between V2s and V1s, as I was sent to the front coach of the train, being that I was only going to Baltimore. The car seemed like it was full of people headed for Orlando and Kissimme, and when the conductor came by to scan my ticket, he said they should have sent me to the third coach. But he let me stay where I was, and he came by at Washington to lower the trap and let me (and a couple of other people sent to our car) out. I was stuck with an aisle seat and a seat mate, but, heck, this is only a 40 minute ride.

The ride was fine. Some sort of customer service supervisor (NOT a coach attendant) was on board, and she gave us a spiel about what to expect, emphasizing that it was lights out after 10 PM and no announcements after that, and if you were getting off during the night, you shouldn't move your seat without letting the staff know, because you might not get notified of the stop. I've never seen this done before, and I wonder if they're sending supervisors out because a lot of the new-hire OBS are starting to show up on the trains and management want to make sure they have some backup. But that's just wild speculation on my part.

Anyway, we arrived into Washington on time, and I got to check out the status of the track 22 construction project.

20220628_144644.jpg

It looks like it's moving along and the platform's done. Also, note that I arrived around 2:50 PM, and the Capitol Limited is in the station, and seemed like it had been for a while, so it must have arrived into Washington on time, or at least not too late.

I had to ride the Red Line to get to my Dad's. Looks like they're running on 7-8 minute headways instead of the 10 minute headways I found earlier in the year.

The drive to Maine was fine, except for the traffic jam at the George Washington Bridge. We have ways to avoid this, but we wanted our pastrami sandwiches at Liebman's Deli in the Bronx, so we had to suck it up and put up with the traffic.

I'm up here through the 4th of July, then I'm heading back more conventionally, riding the Downeaster and Acela. My wife and I are coming back up at the end of the month, avoiding the long drive and New York traffic by taking the Acela and renting a car in Boston.

I have a friend in Bennington, VT I would like to visit. Right now, that is not possible on a single reservation. Starting on Sept. 12, according to Amtrak site, it is bookable on the Star.

When it becomes available it is 3 segments - Star from Florida to NYP, Empire Service from NYP to Albany and the Connecting Bus Operated by VERMONT TRANSLINES from Albany to Bennington. Return trip has much less layover times than the trip up ... interesting.

All right, I'm now sitting in Acela 2163, first class car, it's just pulling out. Turns out I didn't ride the Downeaster to Portland yesterday. My sister flew into Boston on the red-eye this morning, and my brother in law didn't want to make a 6 hour round trip to drop me off in Portland on Tuesday, and then make a 10 hour round trip to Boston to pick up his wife the next day. So he drove me down to Boston and crashed in my hotel room, thus saving me a lot of $$$ on a very expensive hotel room. Then he picked up my sister from the airport, and we had breakfast together, which was nice, as I hadn't seen my sister in a long time, and then they drove me to South Station, where I cooled my heels in the lounge until train time.

(Jut arriving at Back Bay. Lots of people waiting for the train, but not all are boarding. Perhaps a lot are waiting for 175 which arrives a few minutes later. About 2/3 of people boarding in First class are wearing masks.)

I had booked this trip a few months ago, and scored a really nice $87 fare BOS-BAL in Acela Business Class. On Monday, exactly 48 hours before departure, I upgraded using one of my 48 hour upgrade coupons. There were only about 3-4 seats left in the FC car, but the computer gave me a nice forward-facing single seat with full back recline on the right, which will give me a nice view of Manhattan when we cross the Hell Gate Bridge. Then I cancelled my Downeaster reservation, and got a full refund (for the Downeaster trip) to my credit card. One weird thing was that even though I got the new upgraded ticket in my email as a pdf, the upgrade didn't show up in the app until this morning. Anyway, no problem, as the conductor just scanned my ticket, and I'm set to Baltimore. Lunch and dinner entrees are cheese and fruit plate, Savory Mexican souffles, Lamb Tagine, and a Buffalo chicken salad.

20220706_104359.jpg

Here's an MPI HSP 46 at the head of an MBTA train on the other track of the platform where we boarded the Acela.

20220706_104342.jpg
Here's our Acela, ready to board, with the MBTA train on the other track.

20220705_123159.jpg

Here's the new Downeaster equipment in Portland, Maine. :) Just kidding, it's the Maine Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at the East End Beach in Portland. We stopped the and got lunch - - tasty, if overpriced sushi rolls and gelato from food trucks. And we had a nice view of Casco Bay while we ate.

Well, that's almost it for this trip. My next trip is again on the Acela as my wife and I are taking it at the end of the month, where we'll brave the Silver Line and rent a car from the Logan Airport car rental center and then go to Maine.

Last edited:
Left Stamford a little while ago, We're really doing the "Low speed rail" thing today. I think this was the first Acela that ever stopped in Riverside, CT. (a Metro-North stop.) Now we're stopped on the bridge over the Cos Cob River.

Passing the Cos Cob station at 11 mph. :)

Left Stamford a little while ago, We're really doing the "Low speed rail" thing today. I think this was the first Acela that ever stopped in Riverside, CT. (a Metro-North stop.) Now we're stopped on the bridge over the Cos Cob River.

Passing the Cos Cob station at 11 mph. :)
Ah, I see, track work, lots of track work just past the Cos Cob station.

A few wrap-up words about my Acela ride:

We got into Baltimore 9 minutes behind schedule. There was some more track work in parts of Maryland.

This Acela First Class coach seemed to be in better shape than the ones I rode in last March. The seat recline worked well, and the car didn't rattle around.

I have a few quibbles about the menu selection. The items I had (lamb tagine and "Mexican Souffles") were good, but they both had just a little spicy heat, which was fine with me, but I wonder whether designing a menu with every item having a touch of chili pepper heat is such a good idea, as many people don't like it. The other item (aside from the fruit and cheese plate) was a "Buffalo chicken salad," which I suspect also had a little chili heat, too. Now, it wasn't like this stuff was "burn the gringo" hot, but the chili effect was noticeable.

Other than that, riding the Acela was a great way to get home from Boston. It sure beat the 2-day drive north through heavy traffic. I'm looking forward to my trip in a few weeks, and hope that (1) the connection from South Station to the Logan Airport rental car center works as I hope it will, and (2) That we don't get stuck in any bad traffic getting into or out of Boston.

Back