Toledo to LA and back..the long way

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benale

Lead Service Attendant
How to maximize 40,000 points was my mission. We booked this trip at the end of July last year and just returned yesterday. We got two two zone roomettes for the points and we took the longest trip possible. Toledo-Chicago on 29 and Chicago to LA on 421. On the return we booked 14 to Portland, 28 to Chicago and 48 back to Toledo. We didn't realize how long this trip would be.

Arrived at the Toledo station the early morning of June 14 for a 5AM departure to Chicago on 29. Usually 29 is a little over an hour ahead of 49. Not today. 49 was ahead of 29 and we arrived in Chicago about an hour and a half late. A few hours relaxing in the Metropolitan Lounge and the first announcement was that 421 was 45 minutes late. No biggie. We boarded at 2:45PM and within five minutes we were stopped for freight traffic. We were hoping for daylight when we crossed the Mississippi and the view of the Arch. We were an hour and a half late so we got to see this impressive view on the verge of darkness.

We averaged 90 minutes late overnight through Arkansas and always looked forward to the fresh air stops. It was nice seeing Hope in broad daylight. We were concerned about the heavy rain and flooding that has been the norm in Texas, but we had no problems. We arrived in San Antonio late,expecting a Sunset Limited arrival and an on time departure at 2:45AM. Checking my trusty Amtrak app on my phone we found out train 1 was to arrive in San Antonio at 6AM,several hours late, That eventually became 9AM. Mechanical problems leaving New Orleans. I woke up at 6 and decided to step outside. Five minutes later my train moved in anticipation of the hook up with 1. To add to the confusion the Eastbound 2 was terminated in San Antonio and passengers were bustituted to their destinations to New Orleans. Heavy rain and flooding was projected for East Texas. I could not return to my train until 8:45. . The combined Sunset/Eagle was packed and the waiting list for breakfast was well over an hour.

Finally we were on our way to LA seven hours late. Our conductor assured us there was plenty of padding to insure an almost on time arrival.. I did get to see scenery that we usually pass in the dark..the prairie West of San Antonio. Texas is a huge state. The scenery isn't spectacular,but it is interesting. I would imagine the views afforded are pretty much the same as 100 years ago. I was looking forward to the fresh air "smoke" stops in Alpine and El Paso,but we were so late we were only in these towns for five minutes. More freight traffic kept us at a consistent seven hours behind. I did enjoy seeing Yuma and Palm Springs in daylight. I really did not want to arrive in LA at 5:30AM,the scheduled arrival. We got there at 12:15. We originally were going to transfer to 14 and leave at San Luis Obispo. I'm very glad we terminated in LA. The passengers who were making the transfer had to be bused to Bakersfield and meet the San Juaquin and board the Coast Starlight at Midnight in Sacramento. The Coast Starlight is Amtrak's premier train with stunning views of the Pacific and the Pacific Parlour Car. There were quite a few passengers in sleepers who weren't exactly thrilled with the alternate transportation.

I'm glad we didn't have big plans for our first day in California. We just got our rental car seven hours late. We spent nine days touring California visiting three National Parks..Joshua Tree, Sequoia and Yosemite.We endured temperatures well over 100 at Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. A dry heat, but nonetheless, very hot. We drove to Reno, then Truckee and enjoyed the views of Tahoe with a stop at Sacramento for our last night. I love The Old Spaghetti Factory..a great dinner. We had a lot of driving our last full day in Ca. Sacramento to Carmel, a charming town and then that lovely drive on Highway 1 to San Luis Obispo. From there we headed to LA, slept quickly and returned our rental car to LA Union Station when they opened so we could enjoy The Metropolitan Lounge and Phillipes before we boarded 14 at 10:10AM.

I love The Coast Starlight. It's my favorite train. As soon as our tickets were collected we parked ourselves in The Parlour Car. The ride from LA to The Bay Area is always great. Also having the option to dine in either car is nice. We had the lamb shanks. The Signature Steak is as good as ever and was always cooked to perfection. The impressive view of Mt Shasta greeted us in the morning. We were running about an hour late. We arrived in Portland at 4:30 anticipating a smooth departure on The Empire Builder fifteen minutes later. Upon arriving at Portland's Union Station we were informed Train 7, the incoming Empire Builder that was supposed to be there at 10:20AM would not be there until 8PM. Heat restrictions and the usual freight traffic contributed to the long delay. It was 95 degrees in Portland and the Metropolitan Lounge had no air conditioning. We did get our boxed dinner we were to have on 28 at the station. The train arrived at 8:30. Three hours later 27 became 28 and we left almost seven hours late.

I never saw Spokane and the joining of 8 and 28 in daylight. It was an impressive sight. The scenery in Idaho and West of Whitefish is beautiful,and it was nice to see it in daylight. We continued to lose time through Montana. It was close to 100 degrees and heat restrictions were imposed. We passed through Glacier in late afternoon. We planned this trip for June to enjoy maximum daylight. It was nice to see the sun rise at 4:30 in the morning and set at 10PM at night. Sunrise saw us in the middle of North Dakota, now eight hours late. I knew we wouldn't make our connection on 48. We arrived in St Paul at 6PM, almost ten hours late. The "late" dinner Amtrak Beef Stew was served to both Sleeper and Coach passengers. The arrival in Chicago got later and later. We were wondering how Amtrak would handle the missed connections. Finally,after 9PM we were informed we would be getting off in Milwaukee, spend the night at a Ramada Inn and take a Hiawatha Train into Chicago to meet our connections a day late. I was downgraded to Coach on 48. After arrival in Chicago, I learned there was sleeper space on 30 and a dinner to boot,so we grabbed it.

Our trip lasted 19 days. Three and a half on the train on the way in, nine days touring California and we were on the train on the return from 10:10AM Friday morning until 12:30AM Wednesday morning with a wait in Portland, a quick overnight in Milwaukee and a wait in Chicago. With the exception of the incredible heat waiting in Portland, I loved every minute of it. I've always loved riding Amtrak. I've been doing it for 25 years,sometimes just riding the train for my vacation. I've ridden every long distance Amtrak train multiple times and The Canadian. I'm very glad my better half enjoys train travel. She is not as fanatic as I am and was very glad to get off our last train.

It's the day after that I'm writing this. I;m tired,but I'm ready to go again. I have a trip from Harrisburg Pa to Fort Lauderdale planned for later this month. It;s not a vacation. I'm meeting my mom in Fort Lauderdale and we are flying back to Long Island the day after I arrive, but given the choice of taking Amtrak or flying, I opted for the train..in coach no less.

I guess I am truly a train person.

We live in Central Pa. We drove the six hours to Toledo. Much cheaper than buying two round trip coach tickets, We left from Toledo because that is where the two zone AGR kicks in.

Outstanding trip, were envious! When I lived in Portland I didn't have AC and it can get pretty toasty some days!

You said you're riding Coach to Florida, are you taking the Meteor or the Star?

I'm taking the Star to Orlando, then switching to the Meteor for the remainder of the trip. I figure a few extra points using both trains. The big experiment on the Star began Wednesday. I was considering a sleeper, but I couldn't justify the cost, even on the Star which would have still been $200 above coach Besides, we spent quite a bit on our big trip. .

Outstanding report! I have been on all those trains, but not on one single trip. Sounds like you had a great trip! Thanks for the report

Enjoyed reading your trip report! Is it common for EB pax who won't make connections in Chi to be put up in MKE? Wonder if it ended up being cheaper for Amtrak to do it that way. I'm probably going to be in same situation as you and your wife at end of July. I'll be coming from Spokane on EB and trying to make a still guaranteed CONO connection at 8:05 p.m. at CUS. Sounds like Amtrak took good care of you 2 despite some .... glitches :) That's good to know!

I love train travel. Any extra time on the train is a bonus. I made sure we had no solid plans in LA the day we arrived. It was nice seeing Arizona and California during daylight on the way in and Spokane,Idaho and the area west of Whitefish on the way back. It was also a kick to see the joining of 8 and 28 in Spokane at 7:30AM instead of 1:30AM.. As I mentioned in my report, the only downside was waiting seven extra hours in 95 degree heat with no air conditioning at Portland's Union Station.

Enjoyed your trip report and glad you were able to make lots of lemonade from the lemon events. :p We also were on a very late EB westbound a few years ago and had the chance to watch the uncoupling of the two trains and even spend some time in the station. A beautiful ride down the Columbia River Gorge later that day.

Back